PDA

View Full Version : For All You Newbies

NXRacer
03-24-2004, 03:10 PM
USE THE SEARCH. Everything that all you newbies have been asking lately have been discussed a million times before. I wouldnt normally post up a thread like this but there has been a big surge of new people joining the board who dont seem to know what the search feature is for.

To keep you from getting flamed, use the search. Use it and you'll find the answers. If you dont find an answer, search again using different key words. Then, if you've exhausted all possiblilties you can think of. Ask away. We're happy to answer questions, just use your brain first and you'll make your life a lot easier.

86LXItooFAST4me
03-24-2004, 03:16 PM
What he said :violin:

i.c.
03-24-2004, 03:26 PM
thanks for this post nx....i should put the search link in my sig too! i've been here almost a year and it seems so many questions come up over and over it just gets old...take the body kit question for example... :gun:

BensAccordLxi
03-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Why can't we start a Newbie section. Make it a full of locked threads on specific topics. Then we can have one thread for newbie questions. No one wants to use a search. It would be easy to look over a list of topics.

k-roy
03-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Why can't we start a Newbie section. Make it a full of locked threads on specific topics. Then we can have one thread for newbie questions. No one wants to use a search. It would be easy to look over a list of topics.

We have a faq and howto section that is locked and they get ignored. Those two forums allready answer countless n00b questions. So I don't think another locked forum would do any good.

Andrew
03-24-2004, 04:41 PM
I agree, the big problem with the search function is that you have to sift through countless post to find what you're looking for, I'm speaking from countless experiences.

Example: Someone was trying to figure out how to put a TEG bumper on their 3G and someone told him to search under "Integra Bumper" or "Teg Bumper". I tried out of curiosity and it turned up alot of crap.

Justin86
03-24-2004, 09:32 PM
ha they are impossible cause they never look anywhere for stuff that why they never see post like this.

bobafett
03-25-2004, 11:09 AM
i know this might not be the right thread, but does anyone make body kits or taillights for the 3g? my friend had some american products company taillights on his cvcc civic and they were mad tyte dope yo.... anyway i already searched and there was NOTHING there for body kits orrrrr for taillights...

maybe im not doing it right...

NXRacer
03-25-2004, 11:26 AM
BWAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

leonardotmnt
03-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Well search is good and fine for a lot of things but even if an older member knows the topic has been covered sometimes it's almost impossible to find what you're looking for. I'd rather not spend hours sifting through posts that don't relate to what I want to know if it's something that's simple to answer for a lot of people to answer that I just don't happen to know. And no I'm not the one going around posting question after question that's already been answered lol

NXRacer
03-25-2004, 11:44 AM
we're just trying to cut down on the tons of posts that come up about questions that would be answered by a really simple search. (like body kits and shit like that). I even have a hard time finding some stuff. Like i said before, if you have a hard time finding something go ahead and ask but there are a LOT of answered quesions in the FAQ and how-to sections.

89LxiAg
03-27-2004, 04:56 PM
I was thinking of this idea the other day, tell me what you think.

Instead of having to search through tons of posts (that may only have one keyword in the last reply) to find solutions to your car problems, why not start a simple list of symptoms/solutions for the different 3g models covered by this board? It seems easy enough to read through the posts and collect the symptoms that people have described, and their type of car, and then read further and see what they did to fix the problem. Once you have those three pieces of info, you could compile a table for each car and then everyone can simply read the table and try to find their symptom and then try the fixes listed. You could get real fancy with some drop down lists and such, but that could wait!!

Searching the posts for a solution should be done by the person who needs the help, but after reading some of the posts after a search, I can certainly see why people get discouraged. The grammar and spelling are terrible in some cases and then the list of symptoms and resolution are so confusing that it takes days to even figure out what the problem was.

This approach seems like it would work fairly well, and we could make it a prominent piece of info on every page so that people would read it first and if they still needed more clarification they could ask away (but provide evidence that they read the table with a link to the specific part in question).

And lastly, should someone ask the exact same question that was answered somewhere else, why not just point them to the link with the answer and not say another word instead of getting shitty with them about how they should search and what not? It just turns people off, but maybe it's just me.

zero.counter
03-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Regardless of what is suggested, nothing will ever really solve the problem of people asking the same questions. Think about how often driving laws are obeyed, especially posted ones. Also the dis-aknowledgement of common courtesies and such, common sense as well.

You and I may know, after experience has told us in posting in multiple forums, to search and about FAQs and HOW TOs, but everyday...a person new to the posting world, posts for the first time. Not aware of the rules or common courtesies, they ask a question which has been discussed to the extent and comparable to "Who shot JFK?"

This thread was created in futility, just like supermarkets have the "Don't forget the ice!", poster right in front of customers, yet they forget to get the ice. Newbies will continue to ignore the SEARCH button (also being intimidated by the results of a search, causing them to seek an even more specific answer), or read the FAQs or HOW-TOs.

Think about how every year, a teacher has to teach the same subject they have taught for years to a fresh group of students who are uneducated in the subject that very teacher teaches.

Only by severe punishment, or required linking, will anyone truly get the point, in this relevance. If that happens, newbs would most likely be frightened off and go elsewhere (its human nature). Think about it...:)

MrBen
03-27-2004, 10:05 PM
The search function does not work well with this release of vBulletin. Cut them some slack. I just tried searching for something, and search did not find it, but after a while of sifting through threads, I found the exact word I typed in search.

It's not always the newbies' fault.

Justin86
03-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Yea I have had many problems and so has everyone since the board has changed. If you try to reword what you search for and try more then once you will find what you want cause the threads are still there. Awhile ago I was looking for info about Delta cams and the search didn't come up with anything, but when I entered colt cams it came up with what I wanted.
What would help since no madder how many threads we make like this the newbs still won't pay attention. I know I never did when I first came here I just went to certain threads. What would help is when someone signs up they get an email telling them the basics of the board like the search fuction and others. I wish I was told the basic's instead of getting crap form someone and learning the hard way.

Vanilla Sky
03-27-2004, 10:39 PM
all i have to say is that FOR ME the search has been working VERY WELL in the past few days... just look... don't give up the first time... damned newbies

Andrew
03-28-2004, 06:49 AM
1.) Everybody was a noob at one point

2.) I agree that "SEARCH" works but you have to sift through alot of crap to find what you're looking for.

3.) Even if you find what you're looking for it can often be confusing for a couple of reasons: sometimes people give sarcastic answers that can be hard to tell from real answers: sometimes you find conflicting answers-which one is the right answer? Sometimes you get information overload.

Example: I was looking up info on CAI recently and came across the phrase "and if you carb guys can figure out a way to hook a CAI up to your car..." would be immediately confusing to anybody who had a carbed 3G especially if you aren't mechanically inclined.

4.) Answer the noob's question, instead of spending a couple of minutes slagging him for being a noob, take a couple of minutes to answer his question or point him in the right direction.This board is a community of people with a common interest, let's do what we can to help it grow, it can only benefit us in the long run. It NEVER hurts to be polite or helpful.

5.) If they're a noob...they're new. Need I say more.

6.) It's not the noobs that need to get a grip, it's us.

Jims 86LXI HB
03-28-2004, 09:15 AM
1.) Everybody was a noob at one point

2.) I agree that "SEARCH" works but you have to sift through alot of crap to find what you're looking for.

3.) Even if you find what you're looking for it can often be confusing for a couple of reasons: sometimes people give sarcastic answers that can be hard to tell from real answers: sometimes you find conflicting answers-which one is the right answer? Sometimes you get information overload.

Example: I was looking up info on CAI recently and came across the phrase "and if you carb guys can figure out a way to hook a CAI up to your car..." would be immediately confusing to anybody who had a carbed 3G especially if you aren't mechanically inclined.

4.) Answer the noob's question, instead of spending a couple of minutes slagging him for being a noob, take a couple of minutes to answer his question or point him in the right direction.This board is a community of people with a common interest, let's do what we can to help it grow, it can only benefit us in the long run. It NEVER hurts to be polite or helpful.

5.) If they're a noob...they're new. Need I say more.

6.) It's not the noobs that need to get a grip, it's us.

I really wasn't intending to say boo in this thread. I'd just soon stay out of it. BUT, when we start to say we won't search, that it's to much to ask for, won't lift a finger and that the older members should do work,..........well.

1. Very much agreed, it's the lazy one's that were talking about.
What were asking for is no different a requirement then any other forum on the net REQUIRES of it's members, that if you have questions, run a search, this board has tons of info. And being lazy is no excuse to create a thread on something that has already been answered before, over and over and over again. Anyone that is new will not be yelled at if they searched and can't find the answer to their question, just post the link to your search results so they see proof that you tried. Like this,
http://www.3geez.com/search.php?searchid=52022

2. Having to sift through the crap in a search is life, that's the way it is on ALL CAR FORUMS ON THE NET. What do you think panning for gold is, you have to be willing to spend a small amount of time to get the gold. And the reason theirs so much crap is because lazy people aren't willing to lift a finger and look, no they create yet another post to make more crap that'll come up in a search. I take pride in being able to sift through all the garbage to get answers, cause I know I learned something and overcame the odds and I did not ask someone to do work, they have already done before.

3. I'm rather suspensious of this one. Yes, their are times people post things that are confusing or their sarcastic. BUT, that's were you move one to a different thread in your search results and keep on looking. We have sooooooo, much info here, you have to be willing to look. If you still can't find it, post the link to your search results and ask the question you can't find the answer to.

4.{In this whole discussion, this one is the root of the entire issue}
Wait, answer a question, do allot of work for someone that isn't willing to lift a finger running a search. Do not ask someone else to do work when your not willing to do it yourself. The search feature finds all the work that someone else has ALREADY DONE!, being lazy and not being willing to find it and then asking us to do the work yet AGAIN,................... NOT COOL! We do anwer questions, we are targeting the one's that are asked over and over and over again.

5. In the context of someone being new, they should be welcomed warmly. They should read the FAQ's and be willing to us the search feature. If they have questions that can't be found with a search they should be helped. In this thead, we are talking about the repeat offenders, not the casual new person who's inocent.

6. Again, be willing to seach. Again, this thread is talking about the repeat offenders, not the casual user.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Very well said Jim. I just want to add that if someone is new I suggest reading through or at least view the thread topics in the FAQ's and How-to's before posting. I was a guest on here for about 3 months before I registered and all I did was look at the cool stuff you could do in the how to's.

The bottom line is you have to be willing to try instead of not trying and making a new thread.

-Mike

Andrew
03-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Ah! I see the problem here we're talking about lazy people not noob's.

I thought we were talking about noobs all this time. My apologies.

Justin86
03-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Well why don't we do what I suggest to help the newbs out. Send them a email whne they sign up showing them the basic features of the board like the search and how the board works. To give them a basic understanding or insight into how this board works inorder to prevent them from getting flammed.

It's like giving the keys to your car to someone that has never droven before, of course they are going to make mistakes, but if you can tell them before how to drive there won't be these basic problems.

Andrew
03-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Well why don't we do what I suggest to help the newbs out. Send them a email whne they sign up showing them the basic features of the board like the search and how the board works. To give them a basic understanding or insight into how this board works inorder to prevent them from getting flammed.

It's like giving the keys to your car to someone that has never droven before, of course they are going to make mistakes, but if you can tell them before how to drive there won't be these basic problems.

That's probably one of the best ideas I've heard yet.

pixiesfan78
03-31-2004, 01:38 PM
dude im pretty new here and have gotten lots of help from posting questions about my carb now there are countless threads and how tos for removing the vac lines but there were so many different versions i couldnt count on anyone of them to be correct so i made a post and got all the info i needed and people were curtious and willing to help. bottom line i am offended by this thread sounds like somebody has a case of the mondays........

NXRacer
03-31-2004, 02:06 PM
some questions are valid, even if there is information. But a lot of questions that have been asked lately have been very clearly answered. I'm sorry you were offended by this thread, but if you stick around for a while you'll start to understand our frustration.

pixiesfan78
03-31-2004, 10:50 PM
yeah no i can see what you mean. i mean the one about the knob under the steering wheel now thats just sad. any monkey could figure that out. but noone should be shined unless they are rude and ignorent.there is a better solution like the email thing someone spoke of earlier. i had you wrong nxracer. i guess i just dont like to see the less fortunate get picked on and believe me there are a lot of less fourtunates out there so my apoligies and remember politeness will always get you further.oh yeah i plan to be here for some time as i plan on buying cubertxl's 88 lxi. now that i live in newhampshire i have no emmisions testing and its not a law to carry insurence so i can insure my daily driver wichever one that will be' probably the automatic cause im lazy the stick will be for fun and get most of my attention as far as upgrades and mods. never thought i would be able to afford upkeep on two cars new england rocks.

deadlight
04-01-2004, 12:18 AM
We need to make sure n00bs know our site doesn't always look like this, they won't be around for long otherwise. :D

Justin86
04-01-2004, 08:56 AM
yea it a little queer like right now but they will come back. Well then the mods need to pay attention to my email idea and put it in to effect. All people do is conplain about who the newb piss them off and when an idea come up to fix that most people have ignored it???????