PDA

View Full Version : brake upgrade

wprocomp
03-24-2004, 03:55 PM
I am converting to the aem big brake kit next month...but I would like to upgrade the caaliper too...so anyone know of a close match of a 2-4 piston caliper that could be made to fit the accord? even oem equipment that may exist? another thing I need to watch is that I have 16's so I need room there too. :bandit:

k-roy
03-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Get a pair off another newer, larger Honda or Acura. Like a 93 Legand.
Since you have to make new brackets anyways it should not be a problem.

wprocomp
03-24-2004, 04:02 PM
I would like some brembos or some spoon ones because well,...I have a friend with both and he wants to sell them...the spoon ones wre for a 94gsr and the brembos are for a 90 teg...so If I can pick them up cheap enough I will be installing those,the legend calipers do sound tempting though

guaynabo89
03-24-2004, 04:05 PM
you dont have to make a new bracket. as far as upgrading calipers youi can do the legend gs caliper which is a dual piston but unless you have the two piece aem rotors you wont be able to use it, cause youd have to upgrade to a 13" rotor that will only fit behind 17's.

and the 4 piston caslipers are expensive. even on ebay theyve never gone for less than 500 and then youd really need to make a new bracket

guaynabo89
03-24-2004, 04:07 PM
I would like some brembos or some spoon ones because well,...I have a friend with both and he wants to sell them...the spoon ones wre for a 94gsr and the brembos are for a 90 teg...so If I can pick them up cheap enough I will be installing those,the legend calipers do sound tempting though

got any info on these im interested

wprocomp
03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
yep spoon ones were on car for a year and removed...If I am not mistaken they are blue and say spoon on the them...$650 with brackets and pads(origin?) and moutl fluid,the brembos were on the teg for about 17days and the car was rearended...they are gold and they too come with brackets,fluid,pads(brembo),$250...the brembos minor scratches and the spoon ones came of a trailer queen so they are flawless

RobT5580
03-24-2004, 04:13 PM
I found a site awhile ago that had a kit for the AEM setup it was 4 piston calipers with special brackets that adapted to the aem setup. But after a few hours of searching i gave up and cant find it again. Im probably going to just stick to the stock ones until i can devote time to re-design a new setup. I can get Porsche calipers brand new at cost since i use to work their and i think the 911's ran around $500 a set or so at cost if i remember right but i will have to make a whole new bracket unless i find that website again if they are still in business. But overall the stock ones were not bad and with good pads you should be happy i just wanted to do it to complete the setup and add some extra braking power.

guaynabo89
03-24-2004, 04:15 PM
gotr any pics or links to the brembos?

im interested

wprocomp
03-24-2004, 04:18 PM
nope they are a friends...I can try to get ahold of him and get some pics of them,but thats unless I buy them :dunno:

guaynabo89
03-24-2004, 04:20 PM
I found a site awhile ago that had a kit for the AEM setup it was 4 piston calipers with special brackets that adapted to the aem setup. But after a few hours of searching i gave up and cant find it again. Im probably going to just stick to the stock ones until i can devote time to re-design a new setup. I can get Porsche calipers brand new at cost since i use to work their and i think the 911's ran around $500 a set or so at cost if i remember right but i will have to make a whole new bracket unless i find that website again if they are still in business. But overall the stock ones were not bad and with good pads you should be happy i just wanted to do it to complete the setup and add some extra braking power.

I meant to tell you

I tried the 94-95 Legend GS calipers on my car and it kinda works. Good thing is you could use the bracket tha comes with the aem kit. Bad news is that you have to upgrade to 13" rotors with a min thickness of 1".

Oh and another thing is on the Legend the calipers sit facing the rear as opposed the the Accords facing the front so when you install them on the car the larger piston becomes the leading piston and the smaller piston becomes the trailing.

I really dont think it would make a big diff though.

guaynabo89
03-24-2004, 04:22 PM
nope they are a friends...I can try to get ahold of him and get some pics of them,but thats unless I buy them :dunno:

oh ok

well if you dont get them tell your friend someones in terested. I just want to see pics first to see what I would have to do to make em fit

RobT5580
03-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Yeah if i were to upgrade it would definately be a 4 piston caliper but i know i will have some issues to deal with like wheel offset and maybe need spacers depending on how its setup. At this point i will have to hold off so i can finish all the stuff thats going on and work on that later.

ICEMAN707
04-22-2004, 01:08 AM
guaynabo, im gonna start calling you the "brake man" cus you sure do love upgrading your brakes. you have to show me how you did your AEM big brake conversion sometime since those would look so sweet behind my 18's plus we both live in FL.

shepherd79
04-22-2004, 03:17 AM
as far as i think you guys are doing hard way. right now i am waiting on JDM twin piston calipers for my car. they were available on JDM accords with B20. and you can use 14" rim with them.

RobT5580
04-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Hmm i will have to look into that. I still cant find the 4 piston kit that would bolt right up to my AEM kit. The aem kit is good for price wise especially the black ones are dirt cheap if you dont mind having the carbon black rotors. I wish i could still get the brackets made because it is a perfect fit and a nice upgrade to the accord. I cant wait to get mine back on the coupe but im waiting until i do the rest of my front end work (bearings, hubs, ball joints, new steering rack). I still want to find the 4 piston upgrade that i saw for $500 or so. Otherwise i may look into the B20A dual piston ones since they shouldnt require any modifications at all.

guaynabo89
04-22-2004, 09:25 AM
as far as i think you guys are doing hard way. right now i am waiting on JDM twin piston calipers for my car. they were available on JDM accords with B20. and you can use 14" rim with them.

I emailed a junkyard in new zealand and asked about these and they said they had them there.

They gave me a quote of about 300-325 for the front knuckles with calipers and rotors shipped to my door. Not bad really, but they wouldnt be as effective as the legennd gs calipers or the brembo 4 piston ones. ;)

Hmm i will have to look into that. I still cant find the 4 piston kit that would bolt right up to my AEM kit. The aem kit is good for price wise especially the black ones are dirt cheap if you dont mind having the carbon black rotors. I wish i could still get the brackets made because it is a perfect fit and a nice upgrade to the accord. I cant wait to get mine back on the coupe but im waiting until i do the rest of my front end work (bearings, hubs, ball joints, new steering rack). I still want to find the 4 piston upgrade that i saw for $500 or so. Otherwise i may look into the B20A dual piston ones since they shouldnt require any modifications at all.

LOL

I was just bidding on a brembo 4 piston caliper upgrade for the aem kits about a month ago. I got outbid though. :crying: My highest bid was 625.

Justin86
04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
yea those 4 piston calipers are way to expensive and you have to have a 17' wheel with the big rotors. I'm just going to wait for some 2 piston calipers off another car, maybe the JDM accord ones...........

RobT5580
04-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Im kicking myself for not writing down the site that had a kit for the AEM kits. I swear it was a major caliper vendor but i cant find it anywhere. The kit had both calipers and the special mounts since these calipers bolt from the front of the caliper which adapted the the aem brackets which should have worked perfectly on my brackets. Oh well i may have to get the brembo kit sometime when i can afford it.

shepherd79
04-23-2004, 09:10 AM
the problem with any AEM or Brembo or other big brake kits is that you have to use 17" rims.
i just don't have that much money and i hate 17" rims because they don't have enough rubber around it. that is why i am waiting on JDM brakes. i am going to have to find brake pads for them but it shouldn't be a problem.

RobT5580
04-23-2004, 11:42 AM
I think you may be able to fit some 16's i was told some of the high end wheels are designed for big brake set ups. I never got to try mine with 16's but it could possibly clear with certain rims. Im still not sure one which wheels im going with but im looking at some Volk Wheels possibly or the real Racing Hart C2's but they are heavier than i want.

Justin86
04-23-2004, 02:44 PM
the problem with any AEM or Brembo or other big brake kits is that you have to use 17" rims.
i just don't have that much money and i hate 17" rims because they don't have enough rubber around it. that is why i am waiting on JDM brakes. i am going to have to find brake pads for them but it shouldn't be a problem.
Yea the same think with me, I like my 17's but when I put out more power I would like more tire for grip. I was looking at some 5G accord brakes and the front's are twin piston, I'm thinking about snatching those to give it a try.

wprocomp
04-24-2004, 08:53 AM
well I am still working a deal to get those brembos but he sold the spoon calipers....I am looking into some custom brackets right now but I also am trying to figure out how I should replace the prportioning valve,I was going to try to find a adjustible one to really utilize 100% of the calipers

carotman
11-02-2004, 02:10 PM
ANyone tried to match a caliper bracket from Another Honda???

Many Hondas use the same calipers but just use a different bracket. Maybe we're lucky enough and a junkyard part is available for that brake upgrade.

guaynabo89
11-02-2004, 04:07 PM
well I am still working a deal to get those brembos but he sold the spoon calipers....

Your buddy still selling these?

AccordEpicenter
11-02-2004, 06:27 PM
wait a minute... 5g accord twin piston calipers??? I hope youre talking about aftermarket