PDA

View Full Version : Beefing up my motor some more...

Mike's89AccordLX
03-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Well guys my accord is staying at school for awhile until I get all the stuff done to it. I'm installing my custom weber 32/36 intake manifold. I'm also rebuilding my Weber 32/36 downdraft carb and putting it in the soaker and getting it back to the nice alluminum finish.

I have been told that I might lose some low end power which is not what I want, so if that happens I will have to add a spacer.

I was thinking of trying this plate to act as a spacer :)

80240 4 CYLINDER 2 BARREL KIT
DCD or DGV Webber base pattern 50 889.00

from this website, http://www.ozrace.com/prodpric.html

The price is in Austrailian so its not $889 US dollars. But I feel this spacer would increase my all around peformance once I add a little juice to it :cool2:

I have been thinking for awhile and there is just not enough Juiced Carbed cars around so I figured I would help pave the ways.

And I was thinking that I would go with a NX Wet system. I was going to do a N2O fogger system but I think this would be much safer for my motor.

I'm also going to lower the car with Tokico Blues and H&R Springs with a 1.5" drop all around.

My motor so far:
A20A1 (Rebuilt 2 years ago)
Deltacam 272 Grind
Weber 32/36 re-jetted
Dual Remote Custom Air intakes (one right under my hoodscoop with a sealed custom airbox around it)
Custom Weber intake manifold (port matched to the weber adapter plate and with the cylinder head)
Pacesetter Header
Straight Pipe
Pacesetter Exhaust System without the muffler
Thrush Turbo Muffler
Stainless Steel 6" Flexpipe
Optima Red Top Battery
Accel Super Stock Ignition Coil
Crane Firewire Spark Plug Wires
NGK Power V Spark Plugs gapped @ .050
Custom EGR Plate (since I don't need EGR :) )
Stainless Steel Fuel Line
Spectre Clear Fuel Filter

That's just the stuff from my motor mods :) And I'm probably forgetting something.

-Mike

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_90_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_109_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_108_full.jpg

A20A1
03-24-2004, 10:17 PM
I think it's about $500 in US right... I forget the exchange rate and things have probably changed since our economy is the pits.

How much are those powdercoatings costing you?
you should get the weber coated in gold... that would look kewel with the chrome manifold and adapter plates / spacer.

shepherd79
03-25-2004, 04:04 AM
it looks like you could have shaved more on that intake. open up the primary barrel a little more. oh and i would try to get 38 weber on ebay. it should be more fun.

A20A1
03-25-2004, 01:32 PM
I agree with shaving most of the stuff off first with a grinder... I was going to do that with my current manifold once I get the holley on and see where I might need a bolt hole for a return spring mount. I'm even shaving off the PCV valve port and relocating all vacuum to the rear.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the tips I still can shave more off. I'm wondering if the carb adapter would work on the weber 38 b/c I would be interested in one now that I have another car to depend on.

And it cost me $75 to do all the powdercoating. (that's the minimum price) I think the gold idea would look cool for sure but I dont have another $75 to blow on appearance mods right now.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Oh and if someone finds a resonably priced Weber 38/38 let me know. Used preferably b/c I dont have too much cash to throw around on stuff that I dont really need. Will I be able to use my adapter plates from my 32/36 to mount the 38/38? And would I be able to keep my intake adapter? Well maybe I will wait on the 38 for awhile just so it wont be a waste to buy the rebuild kit for the 32/36. I bought my rebuild kit and got a free Weber hat :) on orders of $40 or more you get free shipping and I was at $30 and shipping was $10 so I was like do you guys have any t-shirts or hats and he said they have a hat for $10 and I was like damn so I get a free hat pretty much.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Alright guys my carb is being soaked overnight and I will rebuild it tomorrow morning. I removed some stuff I forgot to remove when I took out my vacuum lines. I took out the Canister Purge thing out and also shortend some lines up so everything looks better.

Here's a pic of my intake manifold with my custom EGR plate (:bow: freebie from school's machine shop :bow: )

And there's a pic of the engine without the Canister purge thing on the bulkhead (new term for the firewall) and without the intake manifold or carb on. IMO it looks naked. But that will be changed tomorrow. I also fixed my headlight problem that came up. And I used up all of my red wireloom and covered practically every single wire or cable that I was able to do.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Here's the one without the canister on the bulkhead.

I also was able to fabricate a better Throttle Cable holder. And it gave me a chance to use my new 80 piece tap and die set :) I will post pics of it tomorrow. This newer way makes sure none of the linkage will get caught on other stuff like it did before with the old cotter pin style holder.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Alright I was a little confused about the Weber Nitrous plate from austrailia. That $889 price was with a NO2 kit.

The plate is right around $200 US without shipping which isn't too bad. The plate allows 50 hp boost. And you just hook the nitrous line right into the nitrous port on the plate.

Travis (dxsquared) suggested I get this NOS Sniper kit and sell the holley plate to someone else.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1719&prmenbr=361

Not too bad for $369 for the kit. Plus I could make maybe $50 by selling the holley plate.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Well I have been talking with NXRacer and I will buy a kit through him when I do. I plan to get a dual purge kit too. I think I will have the purge nozzles coming out of the vents under the bumper signals. Help me out guys I want to do this right I need some advice.

wprocomp
04-01-2004, 03:58 PM
evrything sounds good mike...I have been planning on doing the same with my car but wether or not the trans will hold is the ??,just make sure and start out small with the gas and then go from there,since your motor is fresh you should be ok...when you ported your manifold you will have to grind the spacer up to match too,and if you dont have an A/F gauge get one,its nice to have on juiced cars...the only thing I would worry about is the jets if you go 38/38...and I would look into some traction...bigger meats,poly swaybars/lxi if you want the cheaper way,and some brake up grades too...your getting fast so remember youi gotta stop too,you can get a goodridge line in a 3 I think,I will have to check mine agian

Mike's89AccordLX
04-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Well I have a lot of engine aftermarket gauges installed (a/f, water temp, volt, vac., tach)

I already grinded the intake manifold out to match the carb plates :) I guess the pics don't show it too well. I will take a pic of the 2 intake manifolds I have side by side tomorrow. I do have sway bars already but I dont have the hardware to install them. I also already have Upgraded brakes. EBC Sport Rotors and Sport Pads. I installed all new brakes last summer.

-Mike

wprocomp
04-02-2004, 03:32 PM
hey how have those rotors lasted? they havent rusted or anything have they?

Mike's89AccordLX
04-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Nope they're still in great shape. I haven't had one problem with them and I put them to use most of the time :)

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2004, 01:06 PM
I found out why I had a nasty vacuum leak between the carb and the adapter plate today!

The four hex screws that hold the adapter plate onto the other adapter plate was leaking b/c the screw heads were too high and not flush with the plate. I got handy with a grinder and solved that problem. I got everything ready for it to be installed tomorrow. I'm assuming I will probably have to take the carb off again to re-adjust some things, but hopefully I get lucky and don't have to do that.

I'm also getting really good at making gaskets ;)

I'm getting really anxious to drive it and so are some other student. I'm going to really put the custom parts to the "Mike Driving Test" :) First thing I'm doing is driving it around for a bit to get used to it and to adjust all of the bugs out of it and then I'm going to race my friends 98 Civic EX. He's got a muffler, SR Intake, and 16" Motegi Racing rims. I whomped him in my 94 Lude so hopefully I can win in my true baby.

My machine shop at school already said if I needed anymore custom parts to let them know. If I need a spacer made between the carb and intake man. I will have them make me another weber adapter and just add bigger studs for the carb. I get this sh*t done for free too :cool2:

Freebie, zip, nah dah.....

-Mike

A20A1
04-05-2004, 01:14 PM
yeah you found that too, I was thinking of widening the holes, but there wasn't enough meat to widen them so I wanted to find some stainless hex screws with a smaller head, but ended up grinding mine down as well.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Hey Mike, what did you torque your bolts and screws at for the adapter plates and carb?

I figured since 16 ft/lbs is for the intake man. to cylinder head that I would do that for the plates too. I did it already to the first plate but I haven't put the second plate on yet and since I grinded the heads down I don't know if I want to do 16 ft/lbs since a lot of the meat isn't on the head of the bolt anymore.

I'm using Hylomar to seal up every surface, I don't want any leaks this time. Rebuilding the carb was worth while b/c I learned how everthing works. Plus I know every nook and cranny of that carb now. I wish I could have gotten it powdercoated gold though. That would have looked like the cover of the Weber book and that's sweet! Maybe I will paint it with Gold Anodized Engine paint. I just have to remember to cover up the holes and stuff.

It's the Metalcast Gold paint that I would use. Do you think that would look cool Mike?

dXsquared
04-05-2004, 01:33 PM
paint it red lol

that ano stuff really doesnt look REAL... but its cool... you'll have to get a can of base and a can of gold

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
I'll check it out to see if it can be easily painted. Yeah I have done the metal cast stuff before and you need the base coat to make it look good.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-06-2004, 12:00 PM
I got the car running today! Wow did that ever sound good! The great thing is, I won't have to take the carb off to re-tune it b/c my instructor said it sounds perfect.

The only problem though is I have to make a custom throttle cable bracket. For some weird reason the bracket is too far away from the linkage causing the throttle to be open slightly. So that's why it sometimes dieseled on occasionally. It was always messed up I just never realized it until now. But I already have a piece of steel cut and I will have to bend it tomorrow morning and have the welding shop weld in my custom L plate so I can still use the original bracket.

Great thing is, I have no vacuum leaks and the car looks awesome. It's very shiny so hopefully you guys like the pics I will be uploading shortly.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
04-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Here's the 3 pics that I took today while putting everything together. I will have to bring my good camera to school tomorrow and then we can see the great detail that I have done to the engine compartment.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-06-2004, 12:13 PM
For some reason it won't let me put more than one picture per post using my Foundation Posting Privledges. So I have to use 3 posts to put up my pics.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Here's the last one for today!

Mike's89AccordLX
04-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I also had to true up the adapter plates b/c since the bolt heads were too tall last time it kinda warped them but now they're both good. I have to say that I used a lot of Hylomar Anarobic Sealant but that guarenteed no vacuum leaks. My instructor was impressed on how my car is coming and how much work I'm putting into it to be unique and different. I can tell you one thing, 3/4 of the students in the automotive mechanics program that I'm in like my car now. Most of them are hicks too, so I think that's a pretty damn good compliment from them. I will get that bracket made tomorrow and take it out for a long drive. Then I will have some spare time to finish my CRX front lip. :) I just got my heated mirrors that I will attempt to modify to fit my car too. Like I said I will race a 98 Civic EX SOHC tomorrow when my car is done. Man I'm getting a good vibe from my car I think I can take it.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
04-06-2004, 01:09 PM
I also bought a chrome heat sheild for my air filter that is by the P/S pump and resevior. Hopefully that will work out. I will have finished pictures for you guys to drool over tomorrow ;)

I might even have some hose covers installed if I remember. (Those stainless steel braided hose sleeves)

I think those will really set off my engine compartment since I re-routed the stainless steel fuel line to the firewall behind the carb.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Crappy news, I got the new bracket made but I need to re-design it so the cable holder is about 7/8" lower than where its at now. I'm only getting about 3/4 throttle and can't get WOT now. So we're going to try some different things tomorrow and I might have to get an aftermarket throttle cable or figure something else out.

-Mike

No new pics today b/c I was working my as$ to get everything else done. I did get new hoses and all of the stainless steel braided hose on though. It looks really nice but I'm just really bummed about the throttle thing right now.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-08-2004, 09:02 AM
It is done! I finally got it right. I made the throttle cable holder 7/8" lower than what it was and then I moved the pivot point down one hole and I get WOT and fully closed throttle. I had to take the bracket off and have it welded again b/c it was just tacked on before. Then I will clean it and paint it and put it on and bleed my cooling system and I will be rolling in it tonight! I will be sure and take pics when I get home b/c I forgot my good camera there.

-Mike

I can't wait to race now, b/c we found out that I was only using 3/4 of the throttle before and damn I thought that carb was great then, I can't imagine how good it's going to be now.

wprocomp
04-08-2004, 09:18 AM
man I took my wire brush and messed with a manifold and it turned out really nice,I just need to get a buffing pad to finish it,looks great mike-whoop some ass yo!

Mike's89AccordLX
04-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Alright now that I was happy the second year instructor took his merry time to finish welding my Throttle cable bracket, so I took it home and I'm going to smooth the edges out and paint it Metallic Silver. I'm going to have my friend drive my 94 Lude Si and we're going to race so then I can see what car is faster :)

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
04-10-2004, 06:26 AM
All I can say is holy crap sh*t man!!! I need to re-jet my secondary main jet to either 165, 170, 175, or 180. I beat my 94 Prelude Si and my car isn't even running to its fullest yet. I'm going to order all 4 of those jets on monday so then I will for sure get the right one out of the 4. I need a bigger jet for my secondary b/c the car leans out @ WOT @ 4000 rpms and starts bucking like a first time manual 5 speed driver :) . And if I let off the gas about an 1/8th then it gets better. The vacuum leaks are all fixed and damn that intake manifold must have been pretty damn good that I did b/c my car feels like it was re-born. I felt something I have never really felt from it before TORQUE!!!!! My prelude si only has Taylor 8mm wires and a CAI. The car will hopefully be running perfect by the end of next week.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
04-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Shepherd79 told me I should make a thread in the Accord Pics of the newest pics of my engine bay.

Here's the link for you guys.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=32853

ChaseR
05-12-2004, 12:22 AM
i wish you were near me, I would pay you to tune my car like yours....

Justin86
05-16-2004, 05:11 PM
looks purty. :)