PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt At New Gaskets

it's paid for
03-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Yeah . . . I thought this was gonna be one of those 30 to 45 minute jobs (if I took my time) . . . turned out to be almost 2 hours . . . :kekeke: . . .

It works though . . . no more "weeping" at the stack plate gaskets . . . knock on wood . . . I thought this would correct my "idle sputter" . . . it seems better, but it still sort of "sputters" at idle - both when hot & when cold . . . what's up with that? Ignition timing? Incorrect fuel mix?

http://bwinsor.home.mindspring.com/honda/images/ipf_carb_gasket_redo_01.jpg
http://bwinsor.home.mindspring.com/honda/images/ipf_carb_gasket_redo_02.jpg
http://bwinsor.home.mindspring.com/honda/images/ipf_carb_gasket_redo_03.jpg
http://bwinsor.home.mindspring.com/honda/images/ipf_carb_gasket_redo_04.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
03-24-2004, 07:36 PM
That's exactly where my vacuum leak is and that's why I'm rebuilding my carb and making sure there's no leaks.

Good job and nice pics. What kind of gasket paper did you use and what was its thickness?

it's paid for
03-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Gasket material is Karropak . . . thickness is 1/16 inch . . . earlier, someone mentioned I should use "PowerBead Ultra Black Max RVT Silicone Gasket Maker or the Ultra Black RTV" . . . but my favorite Auto Parts store only had this stuff . . . I thought it was rather pricey at $10.30 for a 1' x 3' roll.

:dunno:

BTW - I very slowly and carefully bent my t/v cable holder to about the position indicated with the red dotted line . . . in an effort to stop future potential t/v cable binding . . . as suggested by someone earlier (thanks) . . . AND, I didn't forget to reattach the return spring and vacuum lines to the brake system & distributor . . . when things are going well, it's really fun to work on your car . . .

:)

Mike's89AccordLX
03-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Don't use RTV Silicone Gasket Maker b/c that will not hold up to gas. It will eat it away. I asked my instructor if I could use that inaddition to paper gaskets and he said the RTV stuff will not hold up.

zero.counter
03-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Don't use RTV Silicone Gasket Maker b/c that will not hold up to gas. It will eat it away. I asked my instructor if I could use that inaddition to paper gaskets and he said the RTV stuff will not hold up.
Yeah, it's also noted on the actual product as well...

A20A1
03-24-2004, 11:37 PM
Sorry to see you're having so much trouble with the gaskets... have you tried installing a locking split washer under the nuts that hold down the carb?

T/V? thats not a TV cable... yours is just an accelerator cable... TV = "Throttle value" and is supposed to be the kickdown cable for an auto transmission.

it's paid for
03-25-2004, 03:59 AM
I thought t/v meant throttle valve

:dunno:

Thanks for the info

I'm also going to try to tighten up all the screws on the carburetor . . . maybe that'll help . . . If the intake manifold isn't tight at the head I think I'll . . . let's don't go there . . .

I think - based on the photos I've seen here - I need to pull my return spring out and get it somewhat "unsprung", so it won't be so tight . . . as it, that little 2G rocks - I love the sound of that 2nd stage kickin in . . . and the "whoomp" when you punch it at around 3500 rpm is fun!

shepherd79
03-25-2004, 04:24 AM
the sputter can be caused by worn out ignition coil or worn out distributor. it is very common for distributor to be worn out on carbed cars.
i am assuming you have hitachi distributor. i don't know if Tec distributor will work or not on your car.

it's paid for
03-25-2004, 02:25 PM
the sputter can be caused by worn out ignition coil or worn out distributor. it is very common for distributor to be worn out on carbed cars.

i am assuming you have hitachi distributor. i don't know if Tec distributor will work or not on your car

Great! New toys . . .er, I mean parts for my car. Assuming the parts I get will work, any suggestions? I know nothing about this stuff.

Thanks,

IPF