PDA

View Full Version : K need some help here

88BlackEXi
07-11-2002, 07:36 PM
got the new clutch in, but now heres what i need you guys to help me replace, PLS HELP:
outer tie rod.
Rear upper control arms
front upper ball joints or control arms which ever needs to be replaced.

i dont have $$ for the labor...

OldSchoolSwap
07-11-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 88BlackEXi
got the new clutch in, but now heres what i need you guys to help me replace, PLS HELP:
outer tie rod.
Rear upper control arms
front upper ball joints or control arms which ever needs to be replaced.

i dont have $$ for the labor...

In this link you will find a small hint on how to take several joints out. The outer tie rod is the easiest of them all in my opinion.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1531

Keep in mind that you will have to take the spindle arm to a local shop in order to press the lower balljoint out. And press the new one in. Thats about the only mission you will go through.

OldSchoolSwap
07-11-2002, 08:31 PM
Oh, a hint on the upper A arm: There is two nuts on the top next to the strut (must open hood) you must loosen those two bolts and the hole A arm will fall off. Then you'll take out the big long bolt and slide the new A arm and reverse the process.

Good luck!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

GreenMachine
07-11-2002, 10:37 PM
If your gonna replace the upper balljoints you should just get some 87 prelude arms then you only have to replace the ball joint and not the whole arm ( might work out to be the same price and then you have adjustable camber ) .
To take the arm is not hard just 2 bolts but to seperate the the actual ball joint you may need a balljoint spreader, depending how tight they are.
Just replaced both my balljoints and I was in definent need of a ball joint spreader to split'em as well as the tie rods. But if you got a BIG hammer ........that should do er:D

OldSchoolSwap
07-12-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
If your gonna replace the upper balljoints you should just get some 87 prelude arms then you only have to replace the ball joint and not the whole arm ( might work out to be the same price and then you have adjustable camber ) .
To take the arm is not hard just 2 bolts but to seperate the the actual ball joint you may need a balljoint spreader, depending how tight they are.
Just replaced both my balljoints and I was in definent need of a ball joint spreader to split'em as well as the tie rods. But if you got a BIG hammer ........that should do er:D

Good point on the prelude arms.
However I don't know about the "spreader" that'll kill the boots on the joints, but then again they are bad to begin with, so it won't realy matter if you damage them.
If your taken them appart but are planning to reuse them, a 3 lbs. hammer is the only way that I know of.

88BlackEXi
07-12-2002, 01:35 PM
hmm im not sure what you mean about pressing the lower balljoint out, its the top ones that need replacing all round. oh and thx for the tips, but im not gonna know what you mean till i take em out, im not sure how to do any of this, i suppose im gonna learn. how simple is the conversion to the prelude arms?

OldSchoolSwap
07-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Go to my site and under "links" you will find Paul's site and you can download the manuals that will show you pics and how to work on it.
I will try to dig up some pics of the prelude arms with more details later. I gotta run. I'll catch you later...........

GreenMachine
07-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Yup sure did - had to replace the balljoints for that very reason, they had to come out and i couldn't get em out without screwin up the boot and For all I know they could of had 340,000km on'em. Maybe I'll feel a difference in the steering.

The prelude arms are pretty easy to to convert to once you see how it works - all you'll need is about 4 or 5 washers to make up for the skinnier prelude arms - everything else is th same.