PDA

View Full Version : radio reception

87accordlx
05-02-2002, 04:59 PM
hi guys:
i have a problem with my radio reception, it sucks it is always fading out or making a repetitive ticking sound, i have a jvc kd-s570 deck installed, i had to buy an extension antenna wire when i installed the deck cause it old one wouldn't reach, the bad reception has been there since day one, any ideas how to fix this?

thanks

scott:wtf:

Bobs89LXi
05-03-2002, 08:45 PM
It sounds like you have an open antenna cable shield, or the extension cable is not plugged in all the way. Double check all your antenna connections and do continuity checks of both the shield and the center conductor of the antenna cable.

87accordlx
05-04-2002, 06:30 AM
uhhhhh... bob thanks for the info but ya lost me, what is this antenna shield you speak of and how do i do a continuity test

thanks again

Bobs89LXi
05-04-2002, 10:48 AM
The shield is the wire mesh under the plastic covering of the antenna cable. It is there to shield the incoming radio signal from stray electrical/electronic noise. Doing a continuity check is measuring the resistance. You'll need a multimeter to do it. To check the shield, take the leads and place one on the outer section of the connector, and the other on the base of the antenna, where it attaches to the car. If it's not 0 ohms or close to it (no more than 5-10), then the shield is bad. Next, do the same thing with the inner conductor, again checking for 0 ohms. To do this, place one lead on the inner connector and the other on the antenna itself. Make sure you clean the dirt, road grime, and other crap off the antenna first. It acts as an insulator and will throw your reading off. I am thinking that since you said the OEM antanna cable was too short that you may have tried to pull on it, damaging it. If the continuity is not right, I'm sorry to say that you'll have to replace your antenna.

87accordlx
05-04-2002, 11:47 AM
thanks bob:
i did try to pull on it, i pulled for all i was worth:lol , is replacing the antenna hard to do, what is involved?

me bowing down to bob's knowlage:bow:
p.s. it is not a power antenna

Bobs89LXi
05-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Replacing the antenna is a royal pain in the ass if you don't do it the the "simple" way. The simple way is to remove the screws holding the antenna base to the roof. Pull the antenna out enough to where you can still get at the other end of the antenna cable under the dash. Once you have done that, cut the antenna cable off at the antenna. Take the new antenna, tape the end of the cable to the old cable and use it to pull the new cable back through. If you don't, you'll end up taking the pillar and part of the dash apart in order to run the cable back through.

smufguy
05-04-2002, 07:03 PM
"me bowing down to bob's knowlage :bow:
p.s. it is not a power antenne"

that is one cute smilie awwwwwwwwwwwww :D

TeKKnoTeKK
05-04-2002, 11:01 PM
what I don't understand is how it is too short, if it made it to the stock stereo it should have made it to your aftermarket deck.

smufguy
05-05-2002, 08:59 AM
true that, the stock antenna cords are kinda long enough, they might not come out of the center console, but might be enough for them to be snug in the aftermarker stereos

87accordlx
05-05-2002, 02:24 PM
i know it's wierd eh, if the stock cable was 1.5 inches longer it would have been fine, it's because the stock deck has a lead out the back that's about ummm 1.5 inches, coinsidence? i think not

scott

TeKKnoTeKK
05-05-2002, 08:49 PM
ahhh...so on your current deck it plugs into the back instead of having a lead that comes out. That explains it, get it workin right yet?

87accordlx
05-12-2002, 05:00 PM
no i havn't had the time to fix it yet, plus its raining out whenever i'm not working:(