PDA

View Full Version : BT to A20A3 swap ?'s

urd_86hb
03-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Ok, I have a ?. I have an 86 Accord hatchback with a BT 2.0 PGM-FI. I overheated it and warped the cylinder head. I don't have any other vehicles available, so I've had to keep driving it. In doing so, I think I have trashed the inside of the engine (block, pistons, etc.). I want to put an A20A3 fuel injected into my car. It goes in the 89 Accord. I looked in my Chilton book I have describing an engine removal and installation, and it says nothing about any difference between the 2 engines. Will this swap be a "pull the old one out, bolt the new one in" kind of swap, or will I have to make any modifications? I am concerned about vaccum line placement and wiring. Can someone please tell me what is different between the BT fuel injected and the A20A3 fule injected? Any info would greatly help me get my 3GEE back on the road ASAP so I can smoke another kids 96 V6 Camaro cuz he's always talkin trash. I beat him once, but he keeps sayin I cheated. Since My car is messed up, I cant race him again cuz I dont wanna break it even more.

PhydeauX
03-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Use the manifolds and sensors from the BT and you'll be fine.

andy

shepherd79
03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
use only A20A3 block and dead, and exhaust manifold
use intake manifold from BT.
it should be very easy swap.

Not like a rock
03-26-2004, 01:14 AM
But if he wanted the extra 10 HP, then he would have to swap everything, right?

k-roy
03-26-2004, 01:33 AM
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I can smoke another kids 96 V6 Camaro cuz he's always talkin trash. I beat him once, but he keeps sayin I cheated.{COLOR]

Just out of curiosity how did he accuse you of cheating?

good luck on the swap, it should not be too hard.

shepherd79
03-26-2004, 04:04 AM
But if he wanted the extra 10 HP, then he would have to swap everything, right?
yes if he wants extar 10hp he has to swap everything else, but it is pain in the ass.

PhydeauX
03-26-2004, 06:51 PM
If he wants to use the intake mainfold then he needs to swap the computer and harness to control the seconday stage. He can swap the exhaust manifold if he can get the down pipe from the 89 to match it as well.

andy

300700'88lx-i
03-26-2004, 09:25 PM
The main thing about swapping between the 86-87 intake manifold and the 88-89 manifold is not the computer; rather, it is the vacuum control box. The secondary intake runners are controlled by the vacuum control box (a.k.a. "mystery box"), but that is not the main problem. The vacuun lines from the different years don't match up perfectly, and it is a major bitch to figure out what goes to what because the numbers don't match up for everything. I'd say stick with the intake and controllers from the BT, just swap in the a20a3 block and head and you'll be set.

urd_86hb
03-28-2004, 02:55 PM
He says I cheated cuz he gave me a 15 foot head start. The thing is, when we got to the finish line, he was still 15 feet behind me, so technically I won. Next time I wanna race him straight up and see what happens. I am probably one of the best shifters in my town, so I could get him on my shifting cuz his Camaro is an automatic.

So you are saying I need to use my BT manifold. If I do that, I wont get the 10 hp? Will it be the same power as the BT, or will it increase, just not 10 hp. The A20A3 has higher compression pistons and everything, so I should get a few more horses anyway right? Also, with the manifold off, is there anything I could do to get it cleaned up and run good? (new injectors?) I shouldn't have warped that, right? How can I check to see if it is warped?

bobafett
03-29-2004, 12:02 AM
88-89 has dual stage intake runners and a 4-2-1 exhaust downpipe which help, as well as a slightly higher compression

you will only get the compression gain, the other gains u wont be taking advantage of.

urd_86hb
03-29-2004, 02:18 PM
OK, so how much of a gain will i get from just the higher compression? Also, will the 88-89 exhaust downpipe bolt straight on, or should I get a full exhaust while I have everything off?

bobafett
03-29-2004, 07:35 PM
88-89 downpipe will not bolt up to a 86-87 exhaust manifold. u will need to go with aftermarket one, or ALL 86-87 or ALL 88-89

shepherd79
03-30-2004, 04:26 AM
you can use 88-89 exhaust manifold with down pipe.
it will bolt up to catalytic converter with no problem.

urd_86hb
03-30-2004, 10:05 PM
OK, so I have to use my BT exhaust manifold? Or can I use a 89 A20A3 manifold and down pipe? Remember here guys, for me time is of the essence. I need this baby back on full tilt ASAP. Also, would it be safe to just put a new head on it? Here is what its doing: It is making a really bad noise when I drive, and Im afraid to go much above 3000 rpm cuz the noise just gets louder. It really sounds like the top end of the engine. But here is the kicker: I went to do a compression test on it to try to determine exactly what is wrong. My auto shop teacher told me to take all of the spark plugs out at the same time. When I did, my #2 plug was burned really bad. It was actually still smoking when i pulled it out, and smelled like burnt antifreeze. I screwed the tester into #1 spark plug hole. When my friend started turning it over (yes, distributer WAS disabled), antifreeze started spraying out of the #2 plug hole. Does that sound like just a head issue or is that something that requires a full engine swap?