PDA

View Full Version : Brakes locking on

Orion
03-25-2004, 10:39 PM
The other night i was driving to Perth (Im in Western Australia, this dont make a difference neways) and about 10 minutes before i got their i noticed my brake pedal was getting very stiff. Got to the city, dropped off something and on my way back home and the brakes pretyt much seized up completely. I had to park in the city and stay their for 20 minutes to let the brakes cool down, as they would bloody hot and had completely locked on to the rotor. I have a 2g with discs on the front and drums at the back. Since then its been fine, but today it happened again. Driving along and i heard this strange noise when i accelereated, though it was the air con but when i came to some lights i felt the brake becoming very stiff again. So i had to pull over, and wait for them to cool down, they were steaming when i parked, and drove back home. My dad, who has worked for honda as a serivce manager for many years hasn't heard of this over here before, and he thinks it might have something to do with the master cylinder, but we dont know. Gonna do a full brake check tomorrow and try and see whats going on.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before or know of someone or if anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Justin86
03-27-2004, 03:53 PM
yea this is something new to me, it might be caused my bad rotors, but you will have to check those. If your rotors and pads all check out fine I guess you could get a new master cylinder to see if that helps. It sounds like your pads are allways making contact with the rotor causing them to over heat?????

nanaimo_honda_accord
03-28-2004, 09:16 AM
sounds like your calipers are locking up

MrBen
03-28-2004, 09:40 AM
It kind of makes me think that one or both of your calipers are locking up... you may need new ones. Are you sure the brakes are installed correctly? The slider on the calipers may be sticking and heating up. Have you tried lubircating your calipers?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-28-2004, 09:45 AM
I had a piston in one of my calipers seize up and I just bought new calipers, rotors, and pad and it was all good after that. I have a feeling that the same thing is going on and that's why they're steaming b/c the pads are constantly in contact with the rotors.

Justin86
03-28-2004, 11:00 AM
yea thats what I'm thinking is the pad are rubbing and that could be caused by warped rotors and bad calipers.

Orion
03-28-2004, 11:12 PM
nah the brakes werent just rubbing, they were locking on, could hardly move. Me and my dad checked it on the weekend, and on sunday we found out what it was, the bloody brake booster. I cant remember what it is exactly doing wrong, but its causing the problem. Gonna see if i can nick one of my cousins smashed up Quintet.