PDA

View Full Version : Car stalls, please help.

perlov
03-27-2004, 08:56 AM
My car started to act weird.
I rebuilt carb on my ’86 LX accord last summer and the car worked great throughout this winter. The symptoms appeared during first couple of warm days (mid 60s) couple of weeks ago.

Symptoms. The car starts fine and runs fine till the choke opens up, then it shows rough idle and stalls on primary (if I just press the gas pedal). It still runs ok (shows some power) if I constantly pump up with accel pedal (accel pump) or if I open the secondary (floor the pedal). It looks like as if it doesn’t get enough fuel

The weird thing about it is that it went away after the outside temperature dropped to 50s, now when the temperature got back to 60s the car started doing the same thing again.
Anybody with clues or similar experience – your advice is appreciated.

A20A1
03-28-2004, 04:30 AM
I think you have a loose booster venturi...
It's responsible for delivering fuel past 3,000 or so rpm... some comes out durring idle too but the idle jet can usually keep the car running.

It makes sense to cause you say you need to constantly pump the gas.

Sorrry for taking a long time to respond.

perlov
03-28-2004, 11:46 AM
I think you have a loose booster venturi...
It's responsible for delivering fuel past 3,000 or so rpm... some comes out durring idle too but the idle jet can usually keep the car running.

It makes sense to cause you say you need to constantly pump the gas.

Sorrry for taking a long time to respond.

Thank you for your response.
How to check if venturi is loose? Can you give me some tips or point to the previous thread that explains it?
One more thing, now I don't correlate my problem with the temperature. Today and yesterday was quite warm outside and it still runs great. Should I wait till it acts bad to test venturi?

DanG86LX
03-28-2004, 09:34 PM
If u got a rusty fuel filler pipe, it might be an explanation to ur problem..(my experience anyway).

A20A1
03-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Uh, I may have mis read your post.. you mean it runs fine after the secondary is open up?

perlov
03-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Uh, I may have mis read your post.. you mean it runs fine after the secondary is open up?
Yeah, It runs better after 3500 rpm or so. My guess is that there is a problem with fuel delivery under 3500. It sounds like when the secondary opens up it makes the car going, but I still can feel a minor roughness even on high rpms.

A20A1
03-29-2004, 12:31 PM
yeah, sorry, it's not the venturies... well at least not the secondary venturi.... any who have you changed your fuel filters?
You could also have a minor vacuum leak.

perlov
03-29-2004, 12:37 PM
yeah, sorry, it's not the venturies... well at least not the secondary venturi.... any who have you changed your fuel filters?
You could also have a minor vacuum leak.
Haven't changed the main fuel filter, not sure if the previous owner did (it has about 140k miles). Changed the fine fuel filter under the hood last summer). Planning to change both this coming weekend.
Checked for vacuum leaks a week ago, couldn't find any. Now the car still guns good (it's a 3rd day in a raw). I guess I scared her.