PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering fluid leak

kruddler
03-27-2004, 02:00 PM
I have fluid leaking from the large hose coming out of the pump. It is the hose that is bolted to the pump with two bolts and runs behind the radiator near the top.

How difficult is it to replace this hose?

Am I right in asumming that it bolts into the control valve, and it is a matter of removing the cover and unbolting from the control unit and the pump. Snaking the replacement hose thru and bolting down the ends.

it's paid for
03-27-2004, 06:10 PM
You could just do what I did when I discovered a leak in my p/s system: remove the p/s pump belt . . . if you don't want to take time to loosen the two bolts on the pump to remove the p/s belt, you could just cut it off with a sharp knife . . . but then, you'd have to buy a new belt later if you wanted to fix the p/s leak . . .

Mac
03-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Yep, it sounds like you have a handle on the situation. I changed mine a while back. It was a little tricky snaking out the old one but if you try it will come out. I didn't come across any tricks that would make it any easier. A second person on the top side and one under the car at the rack might help a little.

Tecknixia
04-06-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm having that problem right now. I had the old "power steering pressure hose leaking on to the exhaust manifold" problem and bought a new hose from AutoZone for $30.

I'm in the process of pulling out the old hose, but it's catching on some other hoses. I cut the top part of the hose off so it would be easier, but I need to either cut the metal part or spend a lot of time and frustration on snaking it out.

So, question, did the hose come out better from the top or from the bottom, and does anyone have any good tricks for this? Also, an even BETTER question is how to do you snake in the new hose???

kruddler
04-06-2004, 07:46 PM
I went to the junk yard and got a new hose for the whopping price of $4.00. It was not to difficult to remove just a little time consuming. There are lots of hose clamps to remove and some are not that accesable. I got lots of oil and power steering fluid on myself, so it can be a little messy. The hardest part for me was to disconnect the electrical connection. Hopefully the install will be faster and cleaner.

Neuspeed87lx
04-06-2004, 07:50 PM
I got lots of oil and power steering fluid on myself, so it can be a little messy. The hardest part for me was to disconnect the electrical connection. Hopefully the install will be faster and cleaner.

come on ! thats the best part ! getting all messy ....

Tecknixia
04-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Grr!! That stupid little piece of s*** hose!!! The little one, that loops over the metal part of the pressure hose... what's in it?

Did anyone else run into this problem of getting that hose off and back on to install the pressure hose?

I've installed new small heater hoses on my 91 prelude so I know how much of a pain it is to work with these things... any suggestions?

BITESIZE
04-06-2004, 09:39 PM
It's really not that hard to take out and install, just a little messy at times.

Tecknixia
04-06-2004, 10:04 PM
:dunno:

I'd imagine this would be a lot easier if I had a car lift.

Yeah, it's not too hard at all, except for that small hose that loops around the metal piping. It's hard to get at, hard to take off, and I hate those stupid hose clamps. Maybe I just don't have the right tools... any suggestions?

BITESIZE
04-06-2004, 11:50 PM
It just bolts to the pump and unscrews from the rack and pinion.....just snake it out and snake in the new one.....you will need a helper, and some jack stands.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/379000-379999/379742_87_full.jpg

that's what it looks like

Tecknixia
04-07-2004, 12:20 AM
:uh: Well, ok, so the small hose just popped off and back on, I just had to grab it the right way, but I think I ripped it, we'll see.

I don't know how you would be able to snake it through there, I had to bend the old one in a few places just to get it out... but what really matters is that it's done. I have the new one on, I haven't turned it on to check for leaks yet though.

Cool, you got a pic. I already had the hose but thanks anyway, btw, what is the thing in the middle of the pic?

I've also changed the transmission fluid, I'm draining the oil, I'm putting in synthetic and changing the filter, and then I'm going to rotate the tires and then I'm done for the night. Thanks for the help.

BITESIZE
04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
That's the bottom tranny mount.

Tecknixia
04-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Ahh, cool.

Kruddler, I still can't figure out what you mean by electrical connection... or is something just going over my head?

Edit: Oh, nevermind if it's an injection model thing...

BITESIZE
04-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Mine had an electrical connector on the old hose, but the new hose didn't.....i forgot until now...wtf? My car runs fine without those electrical connectors connected.....what do they go to?

Tecknixia
04-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Hmm, I remember reading about Preludes having a sensor inside the cable. I think what it does is tell the ecu how much engine power you need when turning so it can raise rpms to compensate... so the engine won't bog down during stopped or slow turns. I remember someone else also saying that his car worked fine without a new sensor.

So that's probably what that's for and I'm guessing it's only on the injected models.

Edit: Hold on and I'll find the thread... it's an interesting read about trying to find ways to get custom made hoses.

Ok, here it is http://www.preludepower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23630&highlight=power+steering

Second page, fourth post from the bottom.

kruddler
04-09-2004, 12:38 AM
I finally got that sucker installed. I did not route the line exactly as it was before, but it works and does not leak. It's so nice having PS again. Also got the cruise working. After fixing the horns the light the cruise light would come on but not stay engaged. It ended up that the break switch need adjustment. This is the first time I actually got to use the cruise since owning the car. After I was done I was my hands three times with the NAPA orange cleaner and there still black.