PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug in crooked

kruddler
03-27-2004, 02:05 PM
In replacing hte spark plugs one was in crooked and not screwed in all the way. The car runs fine. I tried to get it threaded in correctly, but it just would not go back in straight. How would you go about fixing this? Is it OK to run a tap down the hole to try to restore the threads, or am I asking for trouble by doing this?

A20A1
03-27-2004, 02:21 PM
tap? you don't want shavings in the motor... I'm not sure what to say... did you do the plugs when the engine was completely cooled... did you screw in the plugs by hand most of the way before tightening them with a socket?

Take out the plug and try an insert it by hand again... but maybe not if the car still runs fine.

I did something once where I used a big bar to put pressure against the top of the socket wrench while I lined up a bolt straight and then proceeded to slowly crank it in while adding as much pressure as I could to the bolt, using the bar as leverage. I was desperate though.

I'm pretty sure you messed it up for good and need to re do the hole... but you never know.

kruddler
03-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Since it is running fine. I'm just going to leave it the way it is.

k-roy
03-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Since it is running fine. I'm just going to leave it the way it is.
That just might be the best thing you can do.
If you ever have the head off you can have it machined.