PDA

View Full Version : Might be kinda stupid, but I want to wire my deck into my room

A Dawg Jr
03-28-2004, 09:12 AM
I totaled my 3 gee a while back, and found myself stuck with all my stereo equipment, so today I'm really bored and want to try and wire it into my room. It plays MP3 and that's a big plus for my room. It has a remote, and would power my four speakers.... so I figured why not try (as long as I don't fry it). I don't currently have a stereo in my room and instead of buying one with MP3 player specs, this seemed like a better option.

There's only one thing I'm not sure about. And that's the out put levels for the wall outlet, and the power imput for the Deck. I need to know what power is safe to continuesly feed to the deck, and how to 'convert' the wall outlet to that power. Any help?

86LXItooFAST4me
03-28-2004, 09:49 AM
thats just ludicrous

POS carb
03-28-2004, 10:31 AM
you could do it however you need a power supply between 11-15 v that can handle your wattage (i.e. 10 amp at least for the head unit **to be safe anyways, a 5 amp will work just don't crank it too long**, 50-100 amp supply if you want to hook up your car amp, just get a battery charger) or a car battery you can recharge.

Just hook up the yellow and red wires to + and the ground to - and it will work, wire your speakers accordingly

The best way to do it is to just use the radio's preouts and run them to an amp in your room that runs on 120v house current

dXsquared
03-28-2004, 10:42 AM
BEST AND CHEAPEST

get a computer power supply.. splice all the yellow wires together and run it to your decks yellow wire and red wire... then hook the black ground on your head to one of the blacks on the power supply... then just use the switch that came with the power supply and use that to turn your deck on...

it will supply enough current to power your speakers too there max

if you have any skill, you can create a cabinet to hold the 4 speakers, the deck and the power supply, cut a hole for a nice big fan in the back and it can all be self contained and look real cool if you carpet it...

Travis

POS carb
03-28-2004, 10:48 AM
lol ok or you can do that

A Dawg Jr
03-28-2004, 12:55 PM
I've got a computer power supply, so all I need to do is take the yellows to yellows, reds to red, and black to black?? plug it in and go? sounds pretty easy...

A Dawg Jr
03-28-2004, 01:00 PM
How many amps should the supply be able to put out? My deck is 50 x 4 watts, so I don't know if it can put out enough amps.... but I'm not sure how all that works.

EDIT, now I get what you were saying before, k, thanks POS

shepherd79
03-28-2004, 01:33 PM
make sure you test the voltage before you connect it to the deck. you don't know if you did it right.

A Dawg Jr
03-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Alright, but even if I get the voltage right, I'm worried about the amps. Most power supplies that I can afford from 20-30 dollars only put out about 250 watts, which is plenty, but only have about 5-8 amps.

Whats the minimum ampage I can put the the HU if I plan on cranking it, or lower volumes, but through the night?

Or is there anther power converter I can look into that supplies enough watts and amps? Other than a pc convnerter?

dXsquared
03-28-2004, 02:27 PM
computer power supplys put out 5-8 amps at 12V... the yellow is 12V and you need to hook your main power and remote line to the yellow line... then ground to a black...

it will power the deck fine... trust me.. i built one of these for my little bro.. he got 4 speakers and a deck instead of a home system so he can put them in his car when he turns 17...

Travis

HondaBoy
03-28-2004, 05:26 PM
i remember one of my friends dads did this in the garage. i dont even know what had to be done. a head unit takes 12 volts and the wall outlets put out about 12 volts. not sure about wattage, but im sure there is some kind of converter plug. they have them that make ac plugs work in the dc cigarette lighter outlet. they out to have it the other way around too.

pimp86LX
03-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Prof. Pimp's Half Assed Explination:
I believe the term is rectifier. a full wave, or full bridge...i can't remember the correctly. Basically all it is, is a pair of diodes in series with an AC power source. Mabe theres a electritian...or another techie that can explain it better. the diodes will only allow the + or - side of the AC wave through and block the other. So a diode going one way...will allow only + and a diode going the other will allow - . Im sure an AC->DC inverter is more complex and sophisticated....but I ~believe~ thats the jist of it.

Anyway,
They are sold via Radio Shack and are called AC->DC inverters, a computer power supply does the job and its way cheaper. Get one!

Oyvind Ryeng
03-28-2004, 06:27 PM
There are no problems running the car stereo from a computers powersupply. The Yellow wire on the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is +12DC and the Black one is ground.

On the ISO-connector to your car stereo, theese wires need to be connected in order for it to work:
-Yellow (+12VDC ignition, here is where the car stereo draws the current needed to make sound in the speakers)
-Red (Backup, needs constant +12VDC in order to remember your radio presets etc.)
-Black (Ground)
-Blue or violet /w white stripe (Remote, this wire GIVES OUT +12VDC when the car stereo is on, this wire is used to power-up and down external amplifiers. Do NOT load this wire over 0,1 amperes, or you *will* ruin your car stereo)

If you need more power into the car stereo, you can couple as many PSU's in parallell as you need.

(I am college educated in electronics)

Jonessoda27
03-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Thats pretty crazy man :dunno:

A Dawg Jr
03-28-2004, 09:53 PM
sweet Oyvind, thanks!!

A Dawg Jr
03-29-2004, 05:26 PM
K, so I picked up a new powersupply, but I'm looking at about 15 different yello wires coming out the back of it.... what do I use?

Also, I'm confused on the red wire coming out of my HU. It's the one that turns it off an on. I'm supposed to splice that into the 12v yellow wire??? Won't that over power it?

Oh and same thing with the black ground, where do I run that? There are a lot of blacks coming out the back of the power too.

dXsquared
03-29-2004, 05:33 PM
hook both power (yellow/red) from your deck to yellows... they both need power inorder for the deck to turn on... and just pick a black... its all the same... if it cuts out at low volume, just add another of the yellows to the power (yellow deck) wire...

Travis

A Dawg Jr
03-29-2004, 05:36 PM
what if I just did all and didn't have to worry about it, could it do something bad? all the yellows that is

dXsquared
03-29-2004, 05:38 PM
theres a circuit breaker in the PS, and your deck has a fuse on it.. dont worry, just make shur you dont cross any grounds with power and your gonna be aight

Travis

Oyvind Ryeng
03-29-2004, 08:02 PM
It doesen't matter which of the yellow/black wires on the PSU you connect to your stereo to, they are all connected to each other. Yes, the yellow and red wire going into the stereo shall be connected to each other, that will not overload anything.

IF you against all odds blow a fuse in the PSU, just get another, and wire it in parallell, this will be able to deliver 2 times the current (but the same voltage) to your stereo. Like so:
http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v16/oyvindryeng/psu.jpg

A Dawg Jr
03-29-2004, 10:10 PM
I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD THAT!!! I blew up the one I bought!!! BANG.. haha, but I found a new one so it's ok. it all worked out. The one I bought didn't have a switch, so I got some help from Viperblueaccord (that's his AOL name, dunno his 3 g name, but he helped BIG TIME, THANKS MAN!) anyway, I had to wire the switch together or something but connected the wrong wires, and it blew up... stupid me.. But I got it working the other working. It's pretty sweet, I just need to paint the wood to match the desk and find the grills for the 6x9's.. It gets pretty loud for how week the ps is, but I hope to upgrade that.

Here's some pics.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/383000-383999/383829_96_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/383000-383999/383829_99_full.jpg
The other 6x9 is on the other side faceing the bed....

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/383000-383999/383829_102_full.jpg
In my dark room...sorry so blurry

Morbid Intentionz
03-30-2004, 11:17 AM
I did this way back when, all i used was a car battery to run my shit. but it worked and hooked everything up as if it were in my car

AccordEpicenter
04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
those power supplies are noisy as fuck (not the fans, the actual power output isnt very clean) but it should work fine. Kinda ghetto but not bad at all

Oyvind Ryeng
04-05-2004, 11:36 PM
I have never had any problems with using this setup. Ofcourse I had a car-battery wired in parallell with the PSU's. In reality I just used the PSU's as a batterycharger.

One problem with this setup *can be* the sudden currentdraws (called transients?), like when the bass hits, it draws all the juice out of the capacitors in the PSU's. This is effectively fixed with a car-battery that can deliver like 400 amps (starting-the-car-current). A large capacitor could also help on this problem, but remember when you got a huge capacitor (500millifarads or larger); it draws an INSANELY high current from the PSU's for a short while (1 second or so) when it is charging (connected to +12 for the first time in a long while).

AccordEpicenter
04-06-2004, 07:11 AM
thats why youre supposed to charge them with a resistor first so they dont draw 500 amps. And yes, transients do that.

Oyvind Ryeng
04-06-2004, 07:16 AM
I hear that the resistor is used to not cause harm to the capacitor only the very first time you charge it up?

Dragonfly
04-07-2004, 07:23 AM
just get a car battery charger

DanLXI88
04-07-2004, 08:15 AM
just get a car battery charger

I have always heard that a car charger is not clean 12v DC and contains some AC current which could be a major problem for the Head Unit. :dunno:

$mokenB'$
04-07-2004, 09:55 AM
where i work, we make exacttaly what your looking for but there for cameras and alarms, i understud about half of what u guys are talkin about cuz of work but i dont think it would be powerfull enough for what your looking for...

pimp86LX
04-07-2004, 10:51 AM
build one of these

http://www.xray2000.f9.co.uk/radtech/r/rectifier6.gif

a capacitor added in the correct spot will even out the DC signal. but i can't seem to find a diagram of where it should go :-S

Oyvind Ryeng
04-07-2004, 11:14 AM
a resistor added in the correct spot will even out the DC signal.
No it won't. A capacitor will, however.

pimp86LX
04-07-2004, 01:17 PM
No it won't. A capacitor will, however.

my bad, your right. OOPS hehe

Oyvind Ryeng
04-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Yeah, better watch out for theese kind of typos in case a newb reads it and believes it.

A Dawg Jr
04-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Don't worry, I don't even know what a resistor is.

cdixon311
04-19-2004, 05:41 PM
I hooked an amp and a 10" sub up to a $30 walmart radio and heres how we did it:

You get a computer power supply and use the yellow wires. The yellow are 12v, the red are 5v, and the black are ground. Hook a 12v yellow wire to your power on the amp and a 12v to your remote connection on your amp. I decided to use a different ground than the one on the computer ps. Next we spliced av connections onto the ends of the speaker wire coming from the radio. The only problem we had was that when we tried to put out too much power to the amp the ps would trip and cut off. You might want to try what somone mentioned on this thread and try hooking up two yellow wires to the amp.... anyways

my86dx4dr
04-19-2004, 06:07 PM
i have my amp running off my computers power supply, i made a speciel plug that plugs into the computer plug, and it just runs strait out the back of my computer, 3 wires bundled and zip tyed all the way to the amp,
i dont understand why you all say to run the red and yellow from the object to the yellow wire on the ps, i ran the red amp wire to the yellow ps wire and the yellow to red, and ground to black,

i did a 12v test on all the wires and thats why i did that, the remote wire only takes like .04v to .06v to actualy trigger the devise to come on!
i would say one thang though! 300watt cps = 300 watt amp MAX dont run a 600watt amp on a 300 watt cps! did that and the amp wouldnt turn on