PDA

View Full Version : Is your Accord doing the same? / Idle RPM

AC439
03-28-2004, 03:26 PM
I have a 86 LXi. I have just finished a complete cooling system flush (got all the rust flushed out) and also changed the faulty thermostat with an OEM thermostat. I have noticed the following temp gauge readings (assume from C to H is 100%, I will use the % to indicate the needle position. Say 50% is right in between H and C):-

In the morning, when outside temp is about 55-60F, the needle stabilized at 25-30% (the needle is almost horizontal) at highway speed.

During midday, when outside temp is about 75-80F, the needle will stabilized at 40% (I think this is the ideal temp) at highway speed.

In stop and go traffic during midday, the needle rises to 50 to 55%. At about 60-65%, the radiator and A/C fan kick in to maintain the temp at about 50 to 55%.

Based on my experience with other cars (non-Honda), the temp gauge usually "glued" at 50% once the car has warmed up. But my LXi's gauge will swing depending on outside temp and driving condition. Is your 3G doing the same or just me???

Idle RPM issue:

Also, I seem to be unable to bring my idle RPM down below 1000. Even the engine is completed warmed up and the adjusting screw on the throttle body is all the way in. I know this is no big deal but just wondering if anything is off making it not working within design range.

Thanks.

- Alex

HondaBoy
03-28-2004, 04:49 PM
mine doesnt get above the 1/2 point on the temp gauge. not even in the hot summer. mine is carbed, but the cooling system is the same pretty much. dont know exactly what that could be. maybe a problem with fluid flow? although you said you did a system flush, theres a chance something is cloged. have you replaced any hoses? sometimes i know they car do some wierd stuff by collecting particals making a clog.

k-roy
03-28-2004, 05:16 PM
I have a carbed engine and its usually stuck on halfway, unless im redlineing it every gear in the mountains for a good 20 minute run, then it might go up by 10% untill I back off.

But as for your idle try resetting your tining, then adjusting the screw again. One thing that helped me smoothe out my Idle was by upgrading to an Accel Coil. You should browse throught the Howto section, there are a few things there that might help you.

shepherd79
03-28-2004, 06:21 PM
mine gets to about the middle and the fans kick in and it drops to about first quater.

Volitech
03-28-2004, 06:42 PM
I had a simalar problem! I flushed the systen several times but had no luck! A friend suggested I replace the radiator and oddly enough it cured the problem entirely!

MrBen
03-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Your mixture is probably wrong. I went with 50% antifreeze and 50% water and my temp needle went up to about 75%. After flushing again and using approx 65% antifreeze, it works just fine and the temp needle stays at about 30%. When you did the flush, did you bleed the air out using the bleeder bolt?

AC439
03-29-2004, 04:59 AM
I am pretty sure I've done the flushing job right. I used the super radiator cleaner and then disconnected the heater hose to back flush everything. I repeated this over 20 times so all the water running out was perfectly clear. Hoses are all fine, checked em'. I know the thermostat is what control the eng temp. I verified the radiator and the water flow by taking away the thermostat and the temp was much slower to get to even 20%. The only other thing I didn't do was check the coolant mixture percentage. I basically put coolant and distilled water in as a "guestimate" 1:1 ratio. I did use the bleeder bolt and follow the procedure to get air out of the system.

For the idle RPM issue, I think I may have moved the timing a little bit. I once changed the distributor O ring for an oil leak and I might have NOT put the distributor back into the way it was (I did mark with a sharpie). I have also adjusted the valve two months ago and I know this could have affected the idle RPM too. I may need to reset the timing but this will be a timing retard adjustment. I hate to do that cause I know it will decrease the pick up.

Thanks guys !

MrBen
03-29-2004, 09:16 AM
I would recommend flushing the stuff you have in there out and adding about 65% antifreeze and 35% water. Don't go higher with the antifreeze. It's a cheap shot, so start with the simple stuff first.

$mokenB'$
03-29-2004, 09:43 AM
my temp guage says at about 50% when im not gasing it but when i touch the gas pedal it goes down.... its weired but i dont care its probably stupid electronical stuff!!

JohnnyFonz
03-29-2004, 04:58 PM
I would recommend flushing the stuff you have in there out and adding about 65% antifreeze and 35% water. Don't go higher with the antifreeze. It's a cheap shot, so start with the simple stuff first.

Wait, wait.
You recommend adding MORE anti-freeze, over a 50-50 mix? when water is the more efficient medium of heat transfer of the two?
Adding anti-freeze should not lower your temp. It will make your entire cooling system less efficient, especially in summer and warmer temps.
Give it a shot, but by all methods, it shouldn't help.

MrBen
03-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Wait, wait.
You recommend adding MORE anti-freeze, over a 50-50 mix? when water is the more efficient medium of heat transfer of the two?
Adding anti-freeze should not lower your temp. It will make your entire cooling system less efficient, especially in summer and warmer temps.
Give it a shot, but by all methods, it shouldn't help.

Yes, MORE.

I was surprised myself but found that it did in fact work. I talked with my mechanic about it and he gave me some long explanation that made sense at the time, but not enough for me to remember. If you or anyone else wants some information about it, http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/antifreeze-faq.htm

Like I said, going above 60%-65% depending on the antifreeze is NOT good. However amounts up to that percentage can actually help. It did for me anyway.

sleeperheaven
03-30-2004, 11:25 PM
try bleeding the air out of the cooling system

sleeperheaven
03-30-2004, 11:30 PM
my buddy had that same problem. the car didnt want to idle right or cool right. so all we did was bleed the system with the bleeder bolt by the thermostat housing. bleed all the air out put more coolant in it and it ran fine after that

Busted_Blue
03-31-2004, 12:28 AM
My temp is always around 1/4th up from the line. Then again I live in California and technically we can actually run higher water percentage if we wanted to since we rarely get to freezing temperatures. I run about 65% water 45% antifreeze.

If i push my car hard up a mountain for 30minutes, the temp goes to 50% so yea i think my thermostat still works :)

AC439
04-01-2004, 05:25 PM
try bleeding the air out of the cooling system

Already did as stated in my original post.