PDA

View Full Version : Moon Roof Leak!? WTF Please Help!!!!!!

Jonessoda27
03-28-2004, 03:34 PM
I was cleanin up my car today and in the trunk i found the manual moonroof jack so i used it to see if it worked, and it did but when i pulled up the shade, i the passenger side of the shade was soaked in water and splashed the passenger seat. :dunno: :dunno: How can this be fixed so it never happens again?? I've heard about 4 drain holes?? But i need detailed information because i am not an expert. If anyone out there can help, please do! I'll Be waiting anxiously! :crying: :crying: :crying:

PLEASE HELP! :banghead:

pimp86LX
03-28-2004, 03:50 PM
I was cleanin up my car today and in the trunk i found the manual moonroof jack so i used it to see if it worked, and it did but when i pulled up the shade, i the passenger side of the shade was soaked in water and splashed the passenger seat. :dunno: :dunno: How can this be fixed so it never happens again?? I've heard about 4 drain holes?? But i need detailed information because i am not an expert. If anyone out there can help, please do! I'll Be waiting anxiously! :crying: :crying: :crying:

PLEASE HELP! :banghead:

I've experience this in my prelude. there are 4 drain holes on all 4 corners of the moon roof that connect to drain tubes that run down the a-pillars on all 4 sides and drain out the fenders. It is very common for these to become clogged with dirt and debres because there are these stupid plug type dealies on the ends of the tubes. OR it is possible the tube has split somewere down the length and you'll need to rip out all the plastic to check them.

now this is with the lude, i can only assume it is a similar setup on the accord.

Jonessoda27
03-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah i just saw the drain holes. I think there are only two. The book says there are only two. I someone can verify this it would be appreciated! :cool:

Thanks for the reply.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Nope, guy at honda gave me a printout that showed 4, 2 back, 2 front, i need to find them now so I can unclogg them.

blue dragon
05-26-2005, 07:15 PM
My moon roof used to leak too. The exterior rubber seals on the moon roof start to leak as the car gets older and the gasket shrinks and deteriorates. The water bypasses these seals and is contained within the channel around the moon roof opening between the headliner and the sheet metal on the roof. There are four weep holes at the corners of the moon roof channel. These weeps connect to plastic hoses that drain in the four wheel wells. If you have a leaking moon roof you may also notice that you have a wet trunk. This is because the plastic tubes that drain to the rear wheel wells are clogged and the water backs up and leaks into the trunk. I removed the plastic panels in the trunk, accessed the plastic tubes, and cleaned them out. I didn't bother cleaning the fron tubes. I just blew them out with an air compressor instead (with a long, thin, nozzle). After I thought I cleaned everything I poured water in the channel around the moon roof to make sure all four corners were draining properly.

maxcrx
05-29-2005, 03:41 AM
I had the same problem before and got help from other 3gers. They were very helpful to me in determining the problem.

Listen to blue dragon, he knows what he is doing. To find the front drainage problem.
1. There are two holes (one on passenger, one on driver side) that drains to each wheel well. Use compressed air (office depot dust cleaner) and place it into hole and blow.
2. If doesnt work, use a snaking techique with a coat hanger wire to clean the debris.
3. You can also see if the the drainage from the driver and passenger kick panel because it pass through there, but dont know why Honda design it that way because too many wires...can cause electric short.

4. The back, take the truck plastic lining out and you will notice two black cables. one for the gas and one for the truck popup. The CLEAR pastic tube for the water drain is hidden away behind the truck firewall and you may have to fish it out.There is one on each side.
5. Once you get the clear plastic housing out, be sure to have a container for the debris when you clean the hose with an wire which works best for me some say use a compressor.

Testing:
Pour water down on the drain and see if it pass through the wheel well.

Have fun doing this...

blh1983
09-29-2007, 04:09 PM
I know this forum is old but it may be helping others. There is an easier way. The front two drain holes are easy to get to with a can of air, while the rear two drain holes are next to impossible using this method. The only reason these sunroofs get clogged is because Honda put a stupid filter on the end of the drainage lines. I removed the filter from my two back lines, and used a can of air from the top for the front. I may end up going out there with scisorrs and cutting the filter/trap off the front drainage lines.

Access to the drainage lines on 4 Door Sedan:
FRONT: Behind the plastic fenderwell on the side closest to the driver about midway up and parallel to the fender.

Back: Remove plastic lining in the trunk, drainage line is latteral to the structural support on each side. Hose is 1/2" I believe. Pull it out remove the rubber filter, clean it and reinstall it if you want to. I just removed mine. I can't think of a single reason to keep it in.

w261w261
09-29-2007, 08:15 PM
<I can't think of a single reason to keep it in>

With typical Honda thoroughness (or engineering overkill), I think they put those little flapper thingies there for ...... critter control.

Civic Accord Honda
09-29-2007, 09:01 PM
when i cleared mine i had to
remove all upper interior panels , head liner , rear bumper , trunk interior
then i removed the tint cap on the end of the hose behin the rear bumper then went inside the car and unhooked the hose from the dran nippel and blew out the hose then did the same with the front hose worked great no more leaks :)

w261w261
09-30-2007, 10:24 AM
when i cleared mine i had to
remove all upper interior panels , head liner , rear bumper , trunk interior
then i removed the tint cap on the end of the hose behin the rear bumper then went inside the car and unhooked the hose from the dran nippel and blew out the hose then did the same with the front hose worked great no more leaks :)

Good grief! That must have been some blockage! I've never heard of having to do anything more (for the rears) than remove the trunk panels, pull out the hose, clear the ends, and put it back. Takes just a few minutes.

Civic Accord Honda
09-30-2007, 11:30 AM
yeah thay where full of mud and miduey water

markb
09-30-2007, 01:39 PM
this forum helped me to fix mine. I cleaned mine out a few weeks ago. prev owner said roof leaked after a rain. front ones were clear, I moved the back panels and found the hoses and when I disconnected them black water came out, and it stunk like sewage! nasty... so, that fixed my problem. then to make sure there was no blockage (but i was 99.9% sure it was the clogged flappers) i blew compressed air up into the hoses that goto the roof and i could hear it exiting. and I tested the hoses that drain from the flapper to the ground with a funnel and some water.

Hopefully I am set.

Once I get the car registered I will take some pics of it. for a New York car with 194k miles its in good shape for an 88 accord

Civic Accord Honda
09-30-2007, 02:13 PM
yeah i had the blackish greenish sewage water come out too lol
but i did not have a air compresser so i had to put my mouth on the hose and blow it out :barf:

markb
09-30-2007, 04:47 PM
yeah i had the blackish greenish sewage water come out too lol
but i did not have a air compresser so i had to put my mouth on the hose and blow it out :barf:

does your girlfriend know this? lol

MessyHonda
10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
does your girlfriend know this? lol

he doesnt have a girlfriend besides his hand or pringles can

snoopyloopy
01-05-2008, 07:27 AM
hmmm, i have to go ahead and try this, then. my freaking moonroof has dumped a large amount of water on my head twice now. third time is definitely not the charm here.

AccordB20A
01-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Here you guys are complaining lol i dont even have one. I suppose thats a good thing if they allways leak lol

snoopyloopy
01-07-2008, 08:04 PM
alright, got those gay things off the ends and they work now. but big :thumbdn: for the half gallon or more of water that's on my floor...

MessyHonda
01-08-2008, 12:34 AM
alright, got those gay things off the ends and they work now. but big :thumbdn: for the half gallon or more of water that's on my floor...

today when i was looking at my car...i found MOLD....cuz i parked under a tree and i guess junk on in the drain holes....i will need to wash out my carpet and spray some Febreze