PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Swap.........AGAIN

Vinny
03-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Ok this is the 4th tranny since I've owned the car. The first shelled out on my on the way home from buying it. Cracked case=bad The second one was rebuilt with a one year warranty. That one lasted a few mths before it took a shit. I had an odd noise, like a pop going into 5th gear and then 4th gear went out. They replaced it free of charge. The third was from buzz. I bought it just to hold me over until the warranty tranny came back in. It worked like a champ but I decided to put the new one back in since its just setting in the garage taking up space.

Anyways swapped it out Sunday here on base. I was a little worried because they are only open for like 6 hrs on Sunday, actually like 5 hrs because they make you quit an hr before closing to clean up.

Took me about an hour and 15 minutes to pull the tranny and replace the clutch and about the same if not 15 minutes or so longer to install the tranny. I got there at 11 and was gone by 3 and that included waiting for misc tools, people borrowing my air tools, 4 smoke breaks(2 cigs each break) and 2 phone calls from home. Not bad if I do say so myself. Maybe i should specialize installing 3rd gen tranny's on the side :D

NXRacer
03-29-2004, 08:42 AM
do it enough and it becomes second nature. :D im not even going to say anything about this being your last tranny swap. :kekeke:

MattsAccord
03-29-2004, 10:06 AM
You and Justin86 should have a race. He has taking the tranny out of his car like 10 or more times he can do it pretty fast now.

MoonScryer
03-30-2004, 06:39 AM
When I want a 5speed swap done, I'll come to you Vinny :D

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-30-2004, 01:29 PM
i'm gonna get a new tranny put in really soon. i can't go with the swap since it will cost more than i can spend right now. nobody around here will do a rebuild on my car's existing tranny. they say they don't work on those kind, wusses. it's gonna cost me 725 plus taxes to get the new one. i wanna have it rebuilt, it would be cheaper. i'm a little ticked about this right now. wish i had your skills so i could do this myself. well that and i wish i had the tools to do it too. oh well.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Holy crap man I guess I'm lucky my has been strong. How do you drive your car? I mean damn that's a lot of trannies!

-Mike

Vinny
03-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Nothing to do with the waY I drive Mike. The car had some front end damage when I bought it and the original tranny case ended up cracked, either before I bought it or when it actually started getting driven again. The front crossmember was tweaked and thats what caused all the tranny problems. The way the tranny was mating up was causing stress on the shaft. Replaced the crossmember and no more tranny problems.

Nolan, you should be able to find a 5 speed fpr about 200 bucks, source the local junkyards and see what they want for the swap parts. Get with Bitesize and see what all you will need. I'm sure you can find someone to help you do it if you look hard enough

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-31-2004, 06:41 AM
there's no good junkyards around here. most all of them have domestics mainly anyway. i just need to get this done quickly before the summer is here. oh well.