PDA

View Full Version : engine blew

Dragonfly
03-29-2004, 04:01 PM
ahhhh i loned a freind my car for the afternoon, abought 3 pm i get A call the car wont start and its pourning out oil.....i get down thier and the parking lot is coverd in oil and antifrezz i feel around to the back of the engin and see where the #3 piston rod blew throught the side of the block. ugh i got to get my car back and running or i lose my job .... how much should i try to get a new lower end from at a junk yard its a 89 sohc carb :omg:

zero.counter
03-29-2004, 04:18 PM
$200 max...sorry to hear about that. This is why you should never loan your car to anyone because they never care the same and feel the car as you do...

A20A1
03-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Damn thats a big hit on the head... do you think your friends at fault?

will the yard remove the engine and bring it to your house?
Our blocks are very heavy... I tried lifting one with the crank and pistons still in it and i couldn't... with the crank and stuff out it was easier but still.

Dragonfly
03-30-2004, 09:52 AM
im thinking of just buying a totaled out honda with the dohc and efi. thiers a perfect one for what i need at a junk yard *poor thing got t boned) what models will just drop right in? i got a good err bad word to use .... at the damage today crank shoved the piston rod thru the side of the block watter jacket and all...hehe she still cranked up and putted into the back yard was dumping oil and coolant like hell *crys*

DanLXI88
03-30-2004, 11:35 AM
im thinking of just buying a totaled out honda with the dohc and efi. thiers a perfect one for what i need at a junk yard *poor thing got t boned) what models will just drop right in? i got a good err bad word to use .... at the damage today crank shoved the piston rod thru the side of the block watter jacket and all...hehe she still cranked up and putted into the back yard was dumping oil and coolant like hell *crys*

:crying: Damn that sucks! I would be BEYOND pissed if that happend to me. What happend to the car to cause this ? Man no more flaming tail pipe :burn: for awhile. Sorry to hear about it man good luck I hope you find a kick ass motor to replace her.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-30-2004, 02:32 PM

If you want to replace the engine fast and with the least hassles possible, get another A20A1 and drop it in. The only engines that drop right in would be the B20A series from the Accords made for Europe and Japan. Your best bet for a fast fix is another A20A1.

Hope this helps.

Dragonfly
03-31-2004, 01:48 PM
she put cheap gas in it and didnt wach the air/fuel gauge. i odnt think she could have over reved with out the valves floating. it got.. well had pleanty of oil i changed it last week. and was going to change the coolant this week

oh i did notice the nos arming swich's safter cover was up buuuutt i dont know if she fliped the swich (aircraft type saftey swich and cover)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-31-2004, 02:05 PM
oh i did notice the nos arming swich's safter cover was up buuuutt i dont know if she fliped the swich (aircraft type saftey swich and cover)

something tells me that switch safety covers don't flip up on their own...however, don't lay the blame right away... it is possible that the engine threw a rod after an overdose of NOS. Generally, if there is a problem with the bottom end of the engine, you will notice it. Connecting rods don't just randomly decide to punch holes in the side of your block, there is always a reason behind it and some warning before it. :)

A20A1
03-31-2004, 03:29 PM
Damn, nitrous...
"Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried"

NXRacer
03-31-2004, 03:53 PM
i dont think it happens with the a20's (at least not that i've heard of yet) but some honda motors have a short cylinder wall and if you over rev it the piston can catch on the bottom lip of the cylinder wall and punch a hole in the side of the block. If she did squeeze, it might be possible for the force to push the cylinder down too far, but thats probably not it.

A20A1
03-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Did 88turboaccord punch a hole in his first block?

POS carb
03-31-2004, 06:03 PM
that SOB owes you a new engine. I abuse my shit and I can't imagine what I'd have to do to blow out the side of the block!

Dragonfly
04-02-2004, 11:01 AM
uhh any one got a block for sale? i think my crank is ok prefrably in the atlanta area or northwest ga

Dragonfly
04-02-2004, 11:04 AM
oh i never use the nos unless i have 98 octan in the car this weekend i only had the cheap stuff inthe tank so i think nos welded the piston down i know for sure once i get it home and pull the engine

smufguy
04-02-2004, 12:36 PM
shit you are in Georgia, do u even have our 3gs running around there? Better yet, get a rental car while u look for a motor. And one of the reasons i dont like nitrous. :uh:

Dragonfly
04-02-2004, 12:58 PM
iv see one almost every day thiers 10 in one junk yard i go to

shepherd79
04-02-2004, 02:30 PM
here is what happen,
he put cheap low octane gas.
he fliped the switch and pushed the button at partially open TB.
this leans to lean mixture and boom, you have a hole in the block.

Rngray5
04-20-2004, 08:21 PM
If you're looking for a block i have 2 in my garage. one had a bearing spin, so tehre is minimal scoring (it will need to be rehoned). The other a wristpin was starting to go, i'm going to get new pistons for it and rebuild that one. The one is stripped down, but if you pay shipping i'll send it to you.

Justin86
04-20-2004, 10:25 PM
yea I would question your friend about it. even if she hit the N2O switched that bottle should have been closed. Shit if you lived closer I would hook you up with a block, but usualy you can get a block for around 100-200.

bobafett
04-20-2004, 10:36 PM
wtf do u have done to your car? sounds cool if your running n20...

mod list?

Justin86
04-20-2004, 10:52 PM
yea and maybe a dry kit also, that would explain the air/fuel controler and the possibility of it running lean then over reving it to throw the rod. Pretty much this is something that can't happen if you are driving around town at 2500 rpms.

Sabz5150
04-20-2004, 11:12 PM
she put cheap gas in it

Cheap gas? What the hell is that? I've heard rumors but...

k-roy
04-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Cheap gas? What the hell is that? I've heard rumors but...
Yea no shit, prices are insane now. Damn Bush. I think he ment the cheapest gas, like 86 octane.

I bet your friend tried to hit it of the line in 1st gear. That really sucks though. Get a compression tester and go to the yard. $150 is reasonable for a bottom end with good compression. Oh and you could go for an A20A3 out of an LXi, it has slightly higher compression pistons and other than that is identical.

deadlight
04-21-2004, 01:54 AM
Well, I have an A20A1 block if you're interested, just pm me, and that sucks about your car, hope you can get around in the meantime.

Dragonfly
05-20-2004, 02:45 PM