PDA

View Full Version : cooling fans on when car is off???

hootymo
03-29-2004, 06:03 PM
anyone know why my cooling fan might be staying on when the car is off? i have noticed this for a few days now, that when i turn off the car the fan is still running.

BITESIZE
03-29-2004, 06:04 PM
That's because the little Honda people over in Japan designed our cars like that, to cool the engine off.

hootymo
03-29-2004, 06:14 PM
how long is it supposed to stay like that? its ok for the battery im assuming?

cubert
03-29-2004, 06:19 PM
yea..its ok for the battery. im not sure how long it stays on for, i wouldnt really worry about it though

accordlxi2.0
03-29-2004, 06:37 PM
um it has like a relay/timer for about 15 minutes.

BMS
03-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Mine never stays on. In fact just yesterday I parked my car and opened my door. I heard the fan come on when I did. About 5 seconds later I turned it off and the fan stopped as well. Maybe different years/models are wired differently.

DBMaster
03-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Mine stays on for about 15 minutes once the temperature outside gets above 85 or so. It is just the smaller fan on the driver's side that stays on.

Volitech
03-29-2004, 09:13 PM
I had that problem but mine would start up at just randomly in the middle of the night!
I fixed it by taking off the a/c fan along with the pump and lines! Works great now!!

zero.counter
03-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Maybe different years/models are wired differently.
I concur. I have yet to have experienced this issue. My fans are currently wired on constant however...

Not like a rock
03-29-2004, 09:43 PM
It's just your turbo cooling down. Tell that to people who point out that your fan is on.

shepherd79
03-30-2004, 04:24 AM
i think the fans stay on only on EFI models. i never had this happen on my LX, but since i have LXI see that all the time. it is normal.

Vinny
03-30-2004, 04:43 AM
88-89 LX-i's fan's will run after the car is shut off. They (88-89 LX-i's) Have a secondary thermal switch in the thermostat housing similar to the one in the radiator. They also have a seperate fan timer under the passenger seat. Its an 88-89 LX-i only thing

86LXItooFAST4me
03-30-2004, 08:17 AM
mine does that and its a 86 lxi. and sometimes when it is warmer than usual it wel kick on and off once or twice. i think it actually reads the temp and turns the fan off and on maybe. at least thats all i can think of because if it were timed than it would kick back on after it shuts off unless there is some kind of short??

AC439
03-30-2004, 06:02 PM
My 86LXi did the same thing too ! But the engine was running a little warm due to a faulty thermostat. After I changed it to the factory OEM stat, it has never occur again.

My theory is: - The faulty thermostat was not letting enough coolant flow so the engine block is warmer. The secondary thermo switch on the thermostat housing then turn on the fans to try to cool it off (but they were cooling off the radiator) so after 20 mins, when the engine block temp drops, the 2nd thermoswitch will cut both fans off. If the fans are turned on by the 1st thermoswitch on the radiator, it should only runs for a few minutes since the fans are cooling down the radiator itself directly.

Malt Beverage
04-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Most cars will do that... It's quite normal under warm conditions. Read the warning label on the fans... That's why you pull the positive lead on the battery when working on your engine :).

unc25
04-09-2004, 02:04 PM
I was just going to point out that it is only the lxi that stay on for a "long" period. My Dx doesnt and the lx of my friends doesnt but my girlfriends brothers sisters lxi stays on forever!

whyterice
04-09-2004, 02:35 PM
88-89 LX-i's fan's will run after the car is shut off. They (88-89 LX-i's) Have a secondary thermal switch in the thermostat housing similar to the one in the radiator. They also have a seperate fan timer under the passenger seat. Its an 88-89 LX-i only thing

The 87 LXi's have the fan timer under the passenger seat also...I found out the hard way as it was draining my battery because it went bad...I would also like to mention my fan never runs when I shut the car off because it is wired to on constantly when the car is running.

smufguy
04-09-2004, 10:28 PM
my girlfriends brothers sisters

not to side track here, but isnt it the same as your girlfriend's sister?

2oodoor
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
not to side track here, but isnt it the same as your girlfriend's sister?

:slap: lol
My fans were staying on yesterday, 87 Lxi. It has only done this once before but it is very discerning.

pickupman6
06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I have 2 87 lxis and they both do it. There's a fan timer under the passengers seat and a fan switch in the tstat housing. Btw this thread is 8 years old

2oodoor
06-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I know, my 87 is older than anybody elses lol

Dr_Snooz
06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Roo, I think you win the random thread bump, wtf award for tonight. LOL

vteckiller
07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
my 89 lxi coupe does it every single time.

2oodoor
07-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Roo, I think you win the random thread bump, wtf award for tonight. LOL

Hey there are hundreds if not thousands of bump deserving threads in here.:D

charliekuney
07-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Quick question: what would cause the fan to not turn on, ever?

lostforawhile
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Quick question: what would cause the fan to not turn on, ever?
thermo sensor,bad ground, blown fuse,corroded wire, bad fan motor, bad connector, bad fan timer on the EFI cars, timer module unplugged,

need more information

Oldblueaccord
07-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Hey there are hundreds if not thousands of bump deserving threads in here.:D

Thinking its a 105 out maybe ????

But I no once mine came on as I was charging a very dead battery on car. I was in the garage and after an hour charge the fans came on and would not go off until I unhooked the battery. Must have been a low voltage stuck relay deal. Never happened since.

The only time mine every come on after shut down is at high altitudes.

charliekuney
07-04-2012, 04:29 PM
thermo sensor,bad ground, blown fuse,corroded wire, bad fan motor, bad connector, bad fan timer on the EFI cars, timer module unplugged,

need more information

You need more information, or do I need more information? Out of the four 1988-1989 LX-i's I've owned, the first three worked...the first one was weird, though, and would come on randomly when the car was off and it was hot outside and wouldn't turn off for up to half an hour.

This car, nothing. Never hear it turn on, ever. The other fan works perfectly. I'll check the fuse and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Where is the fuse? Under the dash or in the engine bay?

lostforawhile
07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
You need more information, or do I need more information? Out of the four 1988-1989 LX-i's I've owned, the first three worked...the first one was weird, though, and would come on randomly when the car was off and it was hot outside and wouldn't turn off for up to half an hour.

This car, nothing. Never hear it turn on, ever. The other fan works perfectly. I'll check the fuse and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Where is the fuse? Under the dash or in the engine bay?

do you have voltage at the fan connector? the fan timer can control both fans independently on the LXI if I remember correctly I will have to look at the diagram

Streetpro3390
08-08-2012, 05:21 PM
I have a 87 fuel imjected and I had the same problem replaced the thermostat and radiator fan switch still didn't help so I ran a toggle switch for the fans. The fans being on when the car is off is not normal. Just throwing out a suggestiom

lostforawhile
08-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a 87 fuel imjected and I had the same problem replaced the thermostat and radiator fan switch still didn't help so I ran a toggle switch for the fans. The fans being on when the car is off is not normal. Just throwing out a suggestiom

the fans on the LXI cars do run for a time when the car is off,how long depends on the temp,there are two sensors, if it's above a certain temp the fans will run longer, they do this because coolant will continue to flow by convection through the system, hot coolant rises etc

pickupman6
08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
^^^^ this. If its an lxi (or sei) and has both the green and tan sensors in the t stat housing it is normal for the fans to run after the car is off. There is a fan timer under the passengers seat that controls how long the fans run according to how hot the car is. It is in the factory service manual and the owners manual for the car. This thread needs to end unless someone actually wants to figure out why theirs isn't working. I would be glad to help troubleshoot. But I'm not going to keep saying they are supposed to come on even with the key off. Its been said more than a dozen times in this thread alone and there are more threads on this subject. If you don't know what you are talking about don't come on here saying what you are saying is a fact. Read the owners manual and ther service manual, and use the dang search. I'm out!

lostforawhile
08-08-2012, 06:03 PM
^^^^ this. If its an lxi (or sei) and has both the green and tan sensors in the t stat housing it is normal for the fans to run after the car is off. There is a fan timer under the passengers seat that controls how long the fans run according to how hot the car is. It is in the factory service manual and the owners manual for the car. This thread needs to end unless someone actually wants to figure out why theirs isn't working. I would be glad to help troubleshoot. But I'm not going to keep saying they are supposed to come on even with the key off. Its been said more than a dozen times in this thread alone and there are more threads on this subject. If you don't know what you are talking about don't come on here saying what you are saying is a fact. Read the owners manual and ther service manual, and use the dang search. I'm out!

yep if they had read the thread instead of instantly answering they would have known they are supposed to do this

Dr_Snooz
08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
From the manual - "Fan Timer System: When the coolant temperature is above approx. 226* after the engine is stopped, the condenser fan goes into operation to cool the engine for a maximum of 15 minutes. When the temperature falls below 214*, the fan is stopped."

Hope that helps.

rjcruz
02-13-2024, 08:40 AM
Hi, I've read and been researching this on my 87 EFI model. I have read everywhere about cooling fan staying on when car is shut off after warmed up. yes mine does that to. Mine also does it cold after I turn key on then off. Fan runs for about 10 min. when I turn ignition on as it's running fan stops. once in awhile battery drains the next morning.
I have replaced both sensors one on radiator and other on motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciate

Oldblueaccord
02-13-2024, 06:55 PM
Hi, I've read and been researching this on my 87 EFI model. I have read everywhere about cooling fan staying on when car is shut off after warmed up. yes mine does that to. Mine also does it cold after I turn key on then off. Fan runs for about 10 min. when I turn ignition on as it's running fan stops. once in awhile battery drains the next morning.
I have replaced both sensors one on radiator and other on motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciate

Good chance its the control box. I think its under the passenger seat. Something is probably wrong with one of the relays in there.

I would also double check you changed out the correct sensor in the thermostat housing.