PDA

View Full Version : custom bilstein spring perches

racetek82
03-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I got my bilsteins a few weeks ago and when I opened up the boxes, I just hated the spring perches it came with. Well, mainly the cast aluminum front ones. It wasn't the most desirable base for my Weapon*R coilovers. I did however notice that the rears had different style perches. It's a two piece, deal, a center ring that has a stamped aluminum perch that sits on top of it. I used only the center ring....and slid the coilover sleeve on it....almost perfect. The sleeve still slid around a bit. I didnt want the sleeves to make so much noise, or be crooked. The center rings also fit the front struts.

So I had a little talk with my machinist buddy, and he made me a new set of center rings...a direct copy of the bilstein units, with the exception if the inner raised ring, which is now the same diameter as the inside of the coilover sleeves. PERFECT FIT! Now I could have made the ring taller, to hold the sleeve even tighter, but I decided to save costs and just use the plastic bushing spacers for the upper portion of the sleeve. It's very tight on there, no movement at all. Makes the coilover setup very clean, and quiet also.

I'm thinking of making some aluminum upper mounts, ones that are inverted. This will eliminate that bumped down portion of the mount, and put the bushing or spherical bearing up top, in the engine compartment. This mod should gain quite a bit of shock travel. More on this later.

Here's some pics:
http://www.racetekengineering.com/accordcoiloverperch.htm

Busted_Blue
03-30-2004, 12:45 AM
are your bilstiens revalved?

racetek82
03-30-2004, 12:47 AM
Not yet, waiting on some cash flow to send them in. I'll probably have them done in a week or two. In the mean time I need to go get me some Prelude arms and balljoints.