PDA

View Full Version : car stalls in first gear

blazin3gen
03-29-2004, 10:21 PM
ok my car stalls when i have it in first gear if im at a light and i start reving it to atleast 1.5 and start realeasing the clutch as usuall, the RPM drops alot almost to as u see the Batt light turn on like its gonna turn off but when i stick the clutch back in it revs fine, and i could take off..... another point if i rev it to atleast 2k or 2.5 i can take off no prob no stall, wtf is the problem???? clutch goin out?

this is a 87 5spd dx btw thanks for any help guys

Elijah
03-30-2004, 12:14 AM
this elijahs girl but isnt that the timing?

shepherd79
03-30-2004, 04:21 AM
sounds like clutch may be slipping.
or something wrong with tranny.

k-roy
03-30-2004, 04:23 AM
My clutch does the same thing unless I take off at over 1,750 rpms and I know that its goin bad slowley.

snakeman
03-30-2004, 12:15 PM
if you cluch was sliping you can put it in 1st let out the cluch and you revs want drop put you car want move ether

86LXItooFAST4me
03-30-2004, 12:36 PM
yeah, your rev while not fall if your clutch is slipping, im thinking maybe a vacumm leak or fuel problem or something with youre idle settings. yours is a 87 so you might have one of those load idle switches or what ever they are on the front drivers side of your intake. i know that has something to do with low rpms, not to familier with it though.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Some things to try:
1.) Check your timing. It may not have such a drastic effect as you are describing, but you never know.
2.) Replace all filters.
3.) Clean the carb really well. Maybe even let it soak overnight.
4.) Check your sparkplugs, wires, distributor.

It seems as if the engine simply lacks the power when you take off. Is your idle smooth? Does the engine surge or loose power while cruising? If so, you may have clogged up fuel filters. Check the basics first.

blazin3gen
03-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Some things to try:
1.) Check your timing. It may not have such a drastic effect as you are describing, but you never know.
2.) Replace all filters.
3.) Clean the carb really well. Maybe even let it soak overnight.
4.) Check your sparkplugs, wires, distributor.

It seems as if the engine simply lacks the power when you take off. Is your idle smooth? Does the engine surge or loose power while cruising? If so, you may have clogged up fuel filters. Check the basics first.

actually it revs fine nice and smooth at about 800 or 900 spark plugs are new distributer cables have been changed although dont know bout the distributor or distributor cap,

ehh ill try all the info u guys gave me to see if it helps thanks guys keep the help coming

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Also, does the car bog down when switching gears? Low rpm shifts to a higher gear? You may want to look up the vacuum advance test procedures in the shop manual and test that. Also inspect the dixtributor for signs of wear, ie red dust in the cap. Did this just start happening all of a sudden or has it been occuring for a long time? I have a similar condition when the engine is not fully warmed up. If I try to take off at 1100 rpm (which is ideal when the engine is warmed up) I get a slight bog and then it catches. I blame it on the carb. Is your choke opening all the way? Could be causing the engine to bog down due to a rich mixture. That's my $.02 for now. :D

blazin3gen
03-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Also, does the car bog down when switching gears? Low rpm shifts to a higher gear? You may want to look up the vacuum advance test procedures in the shop manual and test that. Also inspect the dixtributor for signs of wear, ie red dust in the cap. Did this just start happening all of a sudden or has it been occuring for a long time? I have a similar condition when the engine is not fully warmed up. If I try to take off at 1100 rpm (which is ideal when the engine is warmed up) I get a slight bog and then it catches. I blame it on the carb. Is your choke opening all the way? Could be causing the engine to bog down due to a rich mixture. That's my $.02 for now. :D

actually this just happened i had to go do the smog check and it failed so they had to clean out EGR valve to make it pass, after that it hasnt been runnin the same..

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, since it started happening after the EGR valve was worked on, I would check the vacuum lines and the valve itself. EGR can have a tremednous effect on your engine and since they messed with it, it would be the first thing to look at.