PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a tach???

crwa
03-29-2004, 11:51 PM
So i got a new autometer tach and before this I had a ractive tach wired up, which worked perfectly... I wiring the autometer the same way and nothing! It has power running to it and the bulb works, but the needle doesn't. Its not the tach because I went and got another one and the same thing happends???

So does anyone have any advice on what the problem could be and what I could try???

eightyfivelude
03-30-2004, 01:26 AM
hey,

Run a wire from the (-) negative side of your coil straight to the green wire on the tach. That way you get a direct signal instead of running through the car's old wiring. Red is ignition power, black is ground, white is dash lights. Sounds like you have all those. Maybe check on the red ignition hook up too

Matt

crwa
03-30-2004, 09:37 AM
The negative wire on the coil would be the blue wire right? Thats what I ran the old one off of and it worked, but the autometer won't have it! So should I try to use the black wire with the yellow strip?

eightyfivelude
03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
no, the black wire is the positive side of the coil. Could fry the tach. I'm not to sure what the problem you are having is. If I were there I could help you out. Sorry.

Matt

86LXItooFAST4me
03-30-2004, 01:04 PM
get a test light on the wires make sure there isnt a short

crwa
03-30-2004, 03:31 PM
I don't think the wire is fried because the stock tach still works... So I don't know here, is there a wire behind the stock tach I could splice into??