PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

troutz15
03-30-2004, 03:16 AM
Everyone on here probably knows by now my cars not running cuz of a warped head and head gasket. I already have the new head. MY question is should i get a complete head gasket set, or just the big one that goes between the head and block? Thats where the oil's leakin from, between the gasket and head, right next to the distributor cap. So what should i do? And would a complete gasket set cost alot more than just the head gasket?

k-roy
03-30-2004, 03:45 AM
Go ahead and get the whole set. It should come with the head gasket, intake & exaughst manifold gaskets, and one for the valve cover. You need the 2 manifold gaskets since you are swapping the head and changing the vlave cover one is usually a good move. There might be a few other seals in that kit like the gromments and a couple of O-rings that are good to replace as well. If you just get the new headgasket itself you will be pretty pissed when it runs like crap after putting all that work into it.
Oh and this is also a good time to change the Timing belt, think of it as insurance by changing that.

shepherd79
03-30-2004, 04:01 AM
you can find gasket set in ebay for $55. i use that set right now. my car doesn't leak oil or coolant.

troutz15
03-30-2004, 01:15 PM
My slow-ass parents had bought a new timing belt when they got the new head but now it looks cracked and dry-rotten. how much will a new one cost? and could either the timing belt or the warped gasket keep the engine from even turning over? or maybe its the alternator, or maybe it just happened to seize up over the time it was juss sitting there in the yard....

customandsound
03-30-2004, 01:32 PM
the full top end set would be the way to go .... check out franks auto supermarket .. i am not sure if they got a store near you but they always got stuff at half the price as napa and advance

troutz15
03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
ok thanx 4 the info. but when i try to start the car, and the battery fully charged, i even tried a brand new one, i hear a loud clicking sound inside the engine. i had my partner turn the key while i looked in the engine bay and the noise is coming from below the carbeurator, on the side closer to the battery. What could it be?

DJPhil
03-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Troutz, I think you're hearing the starter solenoid clicking.

Oh, and hello world.

:)

-djp

troutz15
03-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Ok a parter told me it was the starter but i wa tryin to figuire out whart PART of the starter so i coukd getr a new one or whatever.

shepherd79
03-31-2004, 02:38 PM
just replace the started.

01RomanSS
04-02-2004, 11:35 AM
You can't compress water and antifreeze. Your starter may be trying to turn the engine over, but if there's water in a cylinder, it won't be able to turn the engine over. Take the spark plugs out and then try to crank the engine. If the starter is working, it will pump some water out of the cylinder(s).