PDA

View Full Version : I finally know which engines to swap...

BKKloppenborg
03-30-2004, 03:57 PM
I finally know which engines to swap in my Honda soon. These are the ones i would consider. I might still keep my A20 one but not sure yet, but i am 75 percent sure i will just swap a engine the choices are....

http://www.totaljdm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/engines.displayengine/item_num/JDMHONDAB18CRG2/jdm_engines.htm

I like this one the best LOL but i dont think i can afford it or if it will fit in my 89 Honda Accord LX

http://www.totaljdm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/engines.displayengine/item_num/JDMHONDAH22AS/jdm_engines.htm

Hell ya this is second choice.

http://www.totaljdm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/engines.displayengine/item_num/JDMHONDAH22AG2/jdm_engines.htm

Third choice

http://www.totaljdm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/engines.displayengine/item_num/JDMHONDAB16AG1/jdm_engines.htm

Fourth Choice

http://www.totaljdm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/engines.displayengine/item_num/JDMHONDAB16AG2/jdm_engines.htm

Last choice

http://www.totaljdm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/engines.displayengine/item_num/JDMHONDAB18BG2/jdm_engines.htm

Which one is the best for my car?

shepherd79
03-30-2004, 04:14 PM
man, you have a lot to learn. you don't realize how much work it will involve for you.
you will have to conver to EFI and after that you will have to mount the engine.
plus you have to find tranny with cable clutch. A friend of mine is doing swap into his carbed accord. so far it the cost ran up to $5K. that doesn't count parts for EFI conversion.

plus H22 will requre a hole lot work.

Oyvind Ryeng
03-30-2004, 04:24 PM
I've said this before, but anyway:
For the price you pay for swapping even a B16A, you could get a turbokit for the A20 that would break traction in 3rd gear, and have torque that would tear your gearbox in twain (somewhat exaggerated to illustrate my point). However, a newer engine is a newer engine, not that our A20's are unreliable or anything...

B18C: Insane swap, will outrun even Integras with the right tires and some weight reduction.
H22: Practically impossible to to; for the price of that swap you can build a 10-second A20 3G.
B16A: Not worth it, it revs more, but the pull is practically the same as the A20.
B18B: 142 hp? WHY? A20 with I/H/E, cam and light P&P will get you that power easily.

NXRacer
03-30-2004, 04:38 PM
BKK. Do what i did. Spend about a WEEK (seriously) reading about engine swaps and what all is involved. I spent a week alone reading about the b20's on here.

If you want some real world input on how much it takes to put a b18c in your car, read up on all the old posts that ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› posted up. He had a hell of a time getting the thing running due to having to convert OBD's. You really need to read some more man.

Oyvind Ryeng
03-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Yes, doing research is great. I've spent several weeks reading about engine swaps, but do you know what I've relized? The A20 is a jewel in the rough. I mean, with the bullet proof cast-iron block, enormous stroke (great for driveability), and the availability of forged pistons (from Diamond) and forged connectingrods (from Eagle), you can build a shortblock capable of handling over 400 whp and buckets of torque. Then, with a good head-job (port&polish, multiangle valvejob, slightly stiffer valvesprings, good retainers and an evil cam), you will have an engine that will be capable of running 11's in a 3G-shell. And that is at the price of the B18C-swap. Ofcourse it will have to be forced-induced, I just can't see how the A20 can rev high enough for an all-motor setup (Although one don't need to rev the shit out of it to see some nice torque-figures, even for a normally aspired engine).

BKKloppenborg
03-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Yes, doing research is great. I've spent several weeks reading about engine swaps, but do you know what I've relized? The A20 is a jewel in the rough. I mean, with the bullet proof cast-iron block, enormous stroke (great for driveability), and the availability of forged pistons (from Diamond) and forged connectingrods (from Eagle), you can build a shortblock capable of handling over 400 whp and buckets of torque. Then, with a good head-job (port&polish, multiangle valvejob, slightly stiffer valvesprings, good retainers and an evil cam), you will have an engine that will be capable of running 11's in a 3G-shell. And that is at the price of the B18C-swap. Ofcourse it will have to be forced-induced, I just can't see how the A20 can rev high enough for an all-motor setup (Although one don't need to rev the shit out of it to see some nice torque-figures, even for a normally aspired engine).

The only reason i want to swith the engine is because with to many mods i wont be able to pass Fucking CA's Smog test. :burn: I hate that shit. So if some ppl have mods and pass the CA smog test will you plz tell me what mods you have my goal is 200-250HP out of the A20 or a new engine.

SteveDX89
03-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Man, I hate to be the first to say this but you're getting to be extremely obnoxious. How long have you spent researching engines? Asking about H22's and ITR engines lends me to believe not much. If you're on a budget and want 250 hp, turbo the fackin A20. If you want new technology and the possibility of more bolt ons, get a B16A or B18C1. The B16A is the easier of the two and the C1 is easier than ITR. H22 is almost impossible. It can be done but the amount of custom fabrication makes it not worth it. Research more and get back to us.

P.S. A JDM engine will not pass smog in CA. I think it barely passes in the rest of the country and with more restrictions in CA, it definitely won't pass. If you swap, your best bet is a B18A out of 90-93 Integra. It's non-VTEC but has 140 hp and decent torque. I also believe you can add more boost to it than VTEC motors.

Oyvind Ryeng
03-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Why is there such strics smog-regulations in California? Cars only stand for a small percentage of the pollution world-wide. (Local pollution may be anbother thing)

SteveDX89
03-30-2004, 06:38 PM
California is the most populated state in the United States. Most people, most cars. It is a problem because smog is visible over the larger cities so carmakers are held to stricter standards there to prevent the smog problem from being worse.

Oyvind Ryeng
03-30-2004, 06:58 PM
I see. Is it really that hard to pass inspection? Even with a catalystic converter and a lean fuelmixture?

lightbulblxi
03-30-2004, 08:13 PM
originally posted by NXRacer
read up on all the old posts that ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› posted up.

how is that exactly pronounced???

BKKloppenborg
03-30-2004, 08:19 PM
If you swap, your best bet is a B18A out of 90-93 Integra. It's non-VTEC but has 140 hp and decent torque. I also believe you can add more boost to it than VTEC motors.

So if i get that engine and put a turbo, cold air intake and a muffler on it will it pass CA standards?

sporkHSP
03-30-2004, 08:23 PM
you really need to do some research, you post more about engine swaps and mods that nayone i have ever seen! you need to calm down and look up threads aboutb series swaps and all swaps before you post a big ass list of engines you want to buy...
step one in your search for a faster car sould be an EFI conversion, dont think engines untill you got that taken care of... and the best part about that is that its EMissions SAFE! OMG! you mean 20 more horse and its still emissions friendly? yes. and then look at turbos, you can get 200 horse out of an EFI turbo 3gee and the turbo should be fine with smog too, because you can just turn the damn boost down to like 2... then your back to a "stock" 3gee for smog testing... wow, in one post i fixed your month worth of wasting bandwidth... it takes time and a couple grand but its much more manageable than a b series swap.
this is like the 3rd thread like this you have started now and its getting really old reading all the posts from people telling you to do your research before you post, and you never listen. use the search button!

BKKloppenborg
03-30-2004, 08:26 PM
you really need to do some research, you post more about engine swaps and mods that nayone i have ever seen! you need to calm down and look up threads aboutb series swaps and all swaps before you post a big ass list of engines you want to buy...
step one in your search for a faster car sould be an EFI conversion, dont think engines untill you got that taken care of... and the best part about that is that its EMissions SAFE! OMG! you mean 20 more horse and its still emissions friendly? yes. and then look at turbos, you can get 200 horse out of an EFI turbo 3gee and the turbo should be fine with smog too, because you can just turn the damn boost down to like 2... then your back to a "stock" 3gee for smog testing... wow, in one post i fixed your month worth of wasting bandwidth... it takes time and a couple grand but its much more manageable than a b series swap.
this is like the 3rd thread like this you have started now and its getting really old reading all the posts from people telling you to do your research before you post, and you never listen. use the search button!

Fuckin A i do use the search button, and i have done alot resurch on engine swapping. So i wont ask anymore questions since it will make you happy. :rant2:

P.S. i already did the conversion so thats why i am asking now because i am ready to change....

SteveDX89
03-31-2004, 03:12 AM
Fuckin A i do use the search button, and i have done alot resurch on engine swapping. So i wont ask anymore questions since it will make you happy. :rant2:

That would make a lot of us happy. Don't forget there are more websites than this one to research. You must research the engine you plan on getting. If you don't know which one, research the ones you'd like to have. However, like I said, you need a USDM engine to pass smog in CA.

shepherd79
03-31-2004, 03:59 AM
you need to develop the budget, or you will run ourself into a big hole.
you need to say ok, i have this much money, what kind swap i can afford. if you have unlimited amount of money just sitting under your mattress go ahead and do what ever you want, but remember if you are going to go with aftermarket parts you need to make sure they are smog legal in cali.
for example: DC sports headers are perfectly leagal in Cali if you show them the paper that says that.
AS long as you have a proof that the part you put on is smog leagal, you will pass any test.

k-roy
03-31-2004, 06:46 AM
Im telling you man, a F18A is all you need :idea:

sporkHSP
03-31-2004, 06:47 AM
...actually i think i read somewhere that the DC headers got bumped from the smog legal list in California, but double check that

Im telling you man, a F18A is all you need :idea:

yeah, or maybe a C32A! that would be awesome, and i heard thats an easy swap to do!

original2k
03-31-2004, 08:24 AM
I've said this before, but anyway:
B16A: Not worth it, it revs more, but the pull is practically the same as the A20.

i'm not too sure about that comment, from what i've seen the b16 is a pretty quick motor even tho it has less torque, with the same bolt ons u would put on a 3g, u would get smoked, if u don't believe me, let's get OSS to post his slips in this thread, mr. b16 himself, and i know his car is pretty quick

Oyvind Ryeng
03-31-2004, 10:17 AM
I just can't see how the pull can be that hard, considering the fact that they have about the same torque.

Did you read the tech articles on www.t04r.com ?

Nuffice
03-31-2004, 10:31 AM
I just can't see how the pull can be that hard, considering the fact that they have about the same torque.

Did you read the tech articles on www.t04r.com ?

VTEC engines generate power thru High Reving, not torque.

Oyvind Ryeng
03-31-2004, 11:39 AM
VTEC engines generate power thru High Reving, not torque.
That is true. I'm not a VTEC-hater, I am a torque-lover! :)

1988starter
03-31-2004, 03:30 PM
So if i get that engine and put a turbo, cold air intake and a muffler on it will it pass CA standards?

Chances are a lot of those JDM engines wil not pass cali emissions and Will most defantly not pass the visual inspection.

88accordhatchdx
03-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Get yourself a B20

BMS
03-31-2004, 04:41 PM
About smog...In CA even if you swap a new engine in you have to get it checked and okay'd at an official place. You have to get certified that all the parts on the car are from the engine you have. You'd have to get ALL the parts from the B18 let's say. You'd have to replace your vacuum shit with the B18 vacuum shit. You'd have to replace most of the wiring. Only after you pass that can you go get smogged. Then they inspect it again at smog. So even if you get the engine to be legally passed, you still can't add a turbo or anything cuz of the visual when you smog. If you want a turbo B series move to Nevada and buy an integra. Don't waste your money on trying that kinda shit in Cali cuz you'll never get it passed.

johndej
03-31-2004, 05:19 PM
if you insist upon doing an engine swap and have the money/knowledge to get the parts you need to do those swaps, you can prob. find a JDM B20 out of a JDM 3G accord and a 5 speed tranny that fits it, get it shipped, and get it put in for the same price. just gotta make it smog legal.......... although, jap clean air laws are harder then cali's i think.

BKKloppenborg
04-01-2004, 07:47 PM
I have a friend who has a 180HP engine in this Honda and he passes smog so maybye i can get the engine he got 180 Hp will get great for a car like this. Or maybye will just keep the A20, but i think i will get the engine my friend has then it will be all good. How much work does the B20 will take? O ya i talked to the company today and they said they have sold many of their engines in CA and they have never had any complaintes about smog tests. They said as long as i dont put a turbo in it or that stuff. So they said if i get the engine they throw all the stuff in i need for about 2,500 for a 200HP engine. :) They said the engine alone will pass what do u guys think? would someone told them if it didn't pass CA smog or wouldn't they complane?

Busted_Blue
04-01-2004, 08:21 PM
I have a friend who has a 180HP engine in this Honda and he passes smog so maybye i can get the engine he got 180 Hp will get great for a car like this. Or maybye will just keep the A20, but i think i will get the engine my friend has then it will be all good. How much work does the B20 will take? O ya i talked to the company today and they said they have sold many of their engines in CA and they have never had any complaintes about smog tests. They said as long as i dont put a turbo in it or that stuff. So they said if i get the engine they throw all the stuff in i need for about 2,500 for a 200HP engine. :) They said the engine alone will pass what do u guys think? would someone told them if it didn't pass CA smog or wouldn't they complane?

DUDE. Just because a friend has a honda and passes smog with a 180hp engine doesnt mean YOUR car will pass. Each car has different emission standards and it isn't just ONE standard. You think a Ford explorer emits the same smog as a Honda accord? Not all hondas are designed to have low emissions. The Honda Accord has more emissions than a Civic so the standards have to be different for each model possibly even year model.

here is another thing. WHY WOULD THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT SMOG TEST?! Most people who get it in california have someone on the inside passing the test for them. Illegal passing even with the new dyno smog here are still going around and if you find someone like that, chances are the price is almost triple of a normal smog test. If you really got the money for a B18C or B Series Turboed, that is money well spent.

I seriously suggest you get your priorities straight. IF you got the money, by all means, do watever the heck you want. But like many of us, chances are you are broke too. You are so worried about SMOG here. I suggest like many of others, that you move or give up on the idea of getting anymore than possibly I/H/E. I don't even have any of those due difficulties of passing SMOG.

To do all you mentioned, i suggest you build a relationship with someone that does smog tests and can pass you no matter what. There is your solution to the test.

original2k
04-02-2004, 07:36 AM
man to any1 that lives in cali, i just need to know like how ppl get around with their modified cars nowadays, i mean it just seems like cali is THE CAPITOL of modified cars and high horsepower machines, i mean i figure most ppl have inside connections/payoff the emissions techs, but for the amount of ppl that live in the state it just seems like theirs a WHOLE lot of high hp vehicles to have "inside connections" with the smog guys, as for the poll goin on in this thread, i just don't see how turboing the accord ends up being so much better, becuz the way i see it our cars fi'd are 120hp stock, to run any type of boost that's gonna get u over 160hp (imo) is gonna force u to do internal work that sure as hell isn't cheap, so personally i don't see the "up" side to turboing your car stock than to just swapping the motor, becuz with the motor swap the base hp is there, and with a few bolt on modifications and good tuning u could keep up/destroy a turboed A20 with a "STREETABLE" car on both sides, i'm not dissing the A20 turbo, i'd just like to start a little debate so i can get a few questions answered about it

86LXItooFAST4me
04-02-2004, 07:57 AM
i passed a 90 model eclipse with a super charged chevy small block in it. i think the blower alone was a tall as the top of the car. i dont know how he saw around the engine to drive. on the back it said "CHEVYBISHI" LMAO

SteveDX89
04-02-2004, 07:57 AM
I believe 13 psi has been run on stock internals on an A20. I think that gave about 225 to the wheels. Yes, a turbo A20 at 13 psi would outrun an N/A B16. However with the enormous support for turbocharging B-series, you could slap a turbo at 8 psi on that engine and be cranking out about 250 whp. B-series starts with more and then less boost makes more power. In the September 2001 issue of Sport Compact Car is an Integra GS-R running 28 psi. The only internal engine work is pistons, rods, and sleeved block. This car makes 491 hp at the wheels. Like I said before, it's a matter of preference and how you want to make power.

original2k
04-02-2004, 08:37 AM
are u serious? 13psi on stock internals?? i DO believe u it's just that i CAN'T believe it, i need some kinda proof, seriously, like some1 who's actually running the setup should comment, cuz i don't trust the longevity of a setup like that, it almost seems wreckless to me, like your just asking for your motor to detonate, but then again am i overexaggerating the amount of boost being forced? please elaborate a bit more

*edit*it also came across mind that if your adding 13psi, that's nearly a bar which is force inducing double the power into your engine, on stock internals this notion seems even more unrealistic

SteveDX89
04-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Sean is running that on a daily driver with no problems.

original2k
04-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Sean is running that on a daily driver with no problems.

with stock internals??? are you sure??? i know that guy is hardcore, i doubt it

BKKloppenborg
04-02-2004, 09:38 AM
I believe 13 psi has been run on stock internals on an A20. I think that gave about 225 to the wheels. Yes, a turbo A20 at 13 psi would outrun an N/A B16. However with the enormous support for turbocharging B-series, you could slap a turbo at 8 psi on that engine and be cranking out about 250 whp. B-series starts with more and then less boost makes more power. In the September 2001 issue of Sport Compact Car is an Integra GS-R running 28 psi. The only internal engine work is pistons, rods, and sleeved block. This car makes 491 hp at the wheels. Like I said before, it's a matter of preference and how you want to make power.

Maybye i will just keep the old engine and turbo it and shit i am not sure yet i would love to keep the a20 but im not sure if it will pass smog test.

NXRacer
04-02-2004, 10:11 AM
with stock internals??? are you sure??? i know that guy is hardcore, i doubt it

keep in mind that our motors are incredibly strong internally. The cast iron block and closed deck design can take more abuse then a lot of other blocks. The only thing you have to be careful of is detonation because the ring landings on the pistons are shallow and can easily be broken. Thats why seans ECM setup is so good. It eliminats detonation which allows for higher boost on stock internals.

BMS
04-02-2004, 10:36 AM
keep in mind that our motors are incredibly strong internally. The cast iron block and closed deck design can take more abuse then a lot of other blocks. The only thing you have to be careful of is detonation because the ring landings on the pistons are shallow and can easily be broken. Thats why seans ECM setup is so good. It eliminats detonation which allows for higher boost on stock internals.

It's just too bad that they're so damn non-compatible with other engines. Or else we could do some serious crazy shit.

original2k
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM

that is plain and simply put......:werd:sick:werd:......obviously my knowledge on this subject is rather shallow, and i tried to keep up with u guys on this gm ecm thingy but i never quite understood what the hell all that stuff meant, well apparantly i have a lot of research to do (i'm tossing up the swap/turbo idea now, i'll be soon getting my hands on a b16) but if all u say is true than turboing the a20 may work out in my favor, although i still question the reliability regardless, also seeing my motor on 180k, well thx for the insight i'll try and do some searches on the board for the ecm thing

BKKloppenborg
04-02-2004, 10:44 AM
It's just too bad that they're so damn non-compatible with other engines. Or else we could do some serious crazy shit.

LOL ya thats true. Plus its to bad that CA smog is so damn picky. :burn: