PDA

View Full Version : New to 3rd gen accords but not new to tuning...

unc25
03-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Just want to say great site!
I lost my license 6 months ago due to the fact that I have an uncontrollable need for speed. But over the past 6 months I have learned a valuable leason...It sux ass having people drive you around and waiting for rides, oh yeah not to mention insurance prices!!! I am currently in the process of purchasing a 1986 honda accord Dx hatchback. I have always had a thing for this specific style ( hoped to have an LX-i). I have been reading like crazy for the past 3 days about these vehicles. I found out what headers are out there, what bolt pattern it has, there is a short shifter, guage overlays, gauge trim, clear bumper lenses, "diamond cut headlights", etc.

I was just wondering if you guys would give me some advice about what to do to it first? Aside from the complete tune up and new fluids that it will receive when it gets to my house. What does this certain vehicle respond well to?
I know someone is going to say, why do you want to make it faster when you obviously dont want to lose your license again...Yeah I know. :rice: Its in my blood I just cant leave a car alone!!!! Its like a disease.

Also what are the specs on this engine? HP, TQ, etc.

Elijah
03-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Wlecome to the site.You will have a 98hp car.The LX-i has 120hp and 122.
And if you r trying to go fast I really suggest you check out www.accordcentral.com

Silver86LX
03-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Since it's a DX, it's carbed. Try some carb cleaner along with the tune-up and fluid change.

unc25
03-31-2004, 04:47 AM
Yeah the carb cleaner was included in my "tune-up" that I plan on doing.

I also was wondering is there any front bumper differences from the 2dr, 4dr and 3dr?
I thought everything was the same, but maybe im wrong...

SteveDX89
03-31-2004, 05:13 AM
Hatchback front bumpers are 86-87 style no matter what year. I think the front bumpers are all interchangeable but the rear bumper on hatchbacks is narrower than sedans and coupes. I've been curious what it would look like if a sedan/coupe rear bumper was put on a hatchback. Welcome to the site though. Hope you have fun with your car.

unc25
03-31-2004, 07:47 AM
Ok thanx for the info, I figured the rear bumpers were different. I probably wont be doing much to it for a while but yeah I will have some fun with this thing!

k-roy
03-31-2004, 07:51 AM
Welcome aboard man,
You should browse through the howto section. I highly reccomend removing the emissions vacuum lines, it makes the engine a lot more peppy. Best of all its free! After that do stereo, tint, intake, exaughst, wheels, lower it. By that point it should be a lot more fun to bang around in.

unc25
03-31-2004, 10:40 AM
The emissions vacume line....Wouldnt that mess with my emissions?
Anyways, update on the purchase....I talked to the guy and he said he'd sell it to me for $650 its a 5spd, tape player, new tires, 168k miles, body looks fair, one rust spot about the size of a quarter on the back. I am going to test drive it and get emissions run on it tomorrow. I am excited about getting this car, I hope everything works out!!! I have been looking for a car like this for 6 months and this is the first thing that has come up!!!

88accordhatchdx
03-31-2004, 10:44 AM
:welcome: Its nice to see someone else with a hatchback. Get a DC sports header for it if you can find one, they are so nice and worth every penny.

unc25
03-31-2004, 02:19 PM
The DC sports header is only for the Fuel Injected engine isnt it? I will probbaly end up getting a pacesetter header with the armor coating. I am probably going to get a Carbon fiber muffler and complete 2.25 cat back exhaust done up at the local shop. I will later get a short shifter with a Carbon Fiber shift knob, Carbon Fiber Bezel overlay, and reverse gauges, diamond cut clear bumper lenses, "diamond cut" headlights, Wheels from a GSR or Civic Si painted a gloss black.
But all of this is after I do a full and complete tune up on the vehicle after it passes emmissions.
I plan on replacing the plugs and wires with an NGK set, A new distributor, Carb cleaned up, flush of all fluids, Oil changed and K&N oil filter, and new fuel filter.

88accordhatchdx
03-31-2004, 03:23 PM
The DC sports header is only for the Fuel Injected engine isnt it? I will probbaly end up getting a pacesetter header with the armor coating. I am probably going to get a Carbon fiber muffler and complete 2.25 cat back exhaust done up at the local shop. I will later get a short shifter with a Carbon Fiber shift knob, Carbon Fiber Bezel overlay, and reverse gauges, diamond cut clear bumper lenses, "diamond cut" headlights, Wheels from a GSR or Civic Si painted a gloss black.
But all of this is after I do a full and complete tune up on the vehicle after it passes emmissions.
I plan on replacing the plugs and wires with an NGK set, A new distributor, Carb cleaned up, flush of all fluids, Oil changed and K&N oil filter, and new fuel filter.
The DC sports header can be modified to go on a carb.

unc25
04-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Oh ok cool...