PDA

View Full Version : balljoints

lightbulblxi
03-30-2004, 06:09 PM
aight, ima be replacing my rear upper ball joints soon, i went and bought 2 at autozone tonite. anyone know how to do this? or is there anything i should know?

Oyvind Ryeng
03-30-2004, 07:10 PM
When I changed mine, i had to buy the entire upper arm, because it wasn't possible to get *just* the balljoint. Anyway, I released the balljoint from the arm that goes down to the knuckle, unscrewed the two bolts inside the fender (in the engine compartment), and took out the arm. Then I unscrewed the bolt that holds the arm fixed between the mounting brackets. Then I was left with just the arm and the bushings. I had to pry out the old bushings, and reuse them in the new arm. After oiling in the old bushings with silicone grease, I screwed the two brackets to the arm, and bolted it into it's original position again. Then fastened the balljoint to the arm that is stuck to the knucke, mounted the protective plate over the balljoint, and took a cigarette to celebrate that I was finished. :)

lightbulblxi
03-30-2004, 07:13 PM
is it possible to get just the upper arm? cuz i bought 2 balljoints at auto zone, should i return them or can i buy just an upper arm?

wprocomp
03-30-2004, 07:55 PM
you will have to have them pressed in...its easy as hell to take off and put back on too...go to any local pepboys or shop and see if they will do it for you,I belive they can be pressed in...ov was talking about the front not the rear,the front have to be bought as an intire arm,unless you go with lude arms

BMS
03-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Yes. I did this over winter break (and the front too). Take the arm from your car and the ball joints you bought to any local machine shop. There is often one attached to a parts shop. They will press out the old joints and press in the new ones. It shouldn't be more than $20, and if you take it to the place you bought them it might even be free. Then you just bolt it back on. Remarkably simple. I have lots of pictures too of you wanna look at em. Just follow the book and it all turns out dandy.