PDA

View Full Version : Head Issues

urd_86hb
03-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Ok, my 86 LX-i hatchback (2.0 L PGM-FI) is pissing me off, but it shouldn't cuz im the one who broke it. A couple weeks ago, it got hot cuz I didnt have a hose tight and leaked all the coolant out. Dumbass me, I kept driving, hoping I could limp to school and fix it in auto shop. The temp gauge was pegged on "H" and I drove about a mile or so further. When I stopped at a stop sign, it went up in smoke BAD! I let it cool off, fixed the hose right, and refilled the coolant. It seemed ok for a few days. It sounded a little bit sick, but nothing real obvious. Then all of a sudden, I realized that when I started it, It was blowing white smoke out. It wasnt much at first, but it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. The smoke goes away after 30 seconds-1 minute, but it still runs kinda bad. It does this about half the time I start it. It is making a really bad noise when I drive, and Im afraid to go much above 3000 rpm cuz the noise just gets louder. It really sounds like the top end of the engine. But here is the kicker: I went to do a compression test on it to try to determine exactly what is wrong. My auto shop teacher told me to take all of the spark plugs out at the same time. When I did, my #2 plug was burned really bad. It was actually still smoking when i pulled it out, and smelled like burnt antifreeze. I screwed the tester into #1 spark plug hole. When my friend started turning it over (yes, distributer WAS disabled), antifreeze started spraying out of the #2 plug hole. Does that sound like I just warped the head and can just put a new head on it, or is that something that requires a full engine swap?

A20A1
03-30-2004, 11:22 PM
you can stick a new head on... you might have just blown the gasket... just make sure you remove the head when it's cold.

You can check the squareness of the head surface by using a straight edge and going thru the proceedure listed in the chiltons manual.

01RomanSS
03-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Your best bet is to take the head off and take it to a machine shop. There's a 100% chance that it's warped from the extreme heat. Aluminun heads will warp very easily. I would have the machine shop install new valve seals, mill the head to make it straight, and do a valve job. Make sure you and the shop check for cracks in the head, usually in the combustion chamber area. A head gasket set will have the necessary gaskets, including the head gasket, intake and exhaust gaskets and various other gaskets you will need.

Dan

urd_86hb
04-01-2004, 12:10 PM
I checked my oil today, and it doesnt look like there is any water in the oil. It is still going thru coolant real quick though, but it isnt leaving any puddles under it when I park it. Does this still sound like just a head gasket, or is this a major head problem (warpage). Should I go ahead and get it all taken apart and just do the gasket, or should I just put a new head on it?

smufguy
04-01-2004, 01:16 PM
well, LIke mike said, A new head is your best bet. It was bad that u drove thinking you can limp home, not good. also, u dont see any coolant puddles because ur burning it up. not good. Seems like something broke in ur head. Did u take the valve cover off and see what is wrong. My suggesting is, when u take the valve cover off, get a camera ready and snap couple of pics from different angles and areas that YOU think migh t be wrong. This will really help you and us out about what could happen if you drive under overheating.

shepherd79
04-01-2004, 02:25 PM
your headgasket is shot.
remove your head and take it to the machine shop so they can check it for warpage and if it needs to be shaved.