PDA

View Full Version : Bad Electrical

ahbeyra
03-31-2004, 12:52 PM
I recently picked up a new (old..) 86 lxi hatch for free, and the only problem brought to my attention was that there was a horrible exhaust leak at the flex portion of the pipe and the muffler was cracked. So, a day and some free parts from the trunk later... im driving to get it inspected and i have no left blinker... i can see it faintly lit... but mostly nothing. so i park to inspect the bulbs, and i notice that instead of the faint blink... the e-brake light is blinking instead... so i check fuses... he had a 20 amp fuse in the slot that should be a 10. i took it out, replaced it.. .and bam, instant blow. so.. at this point i have checked all the wiring i can possibly think to check. keep in mind he had all kinds of audio equipment and interior lighting(some of which set on fire, probably because of the 20 amp fuse...) and i have no idea where this could be stemming from. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Kelley

shepherd79
03-31-2004, 01:09 PM
i would start with that lightning he installed.
start checking that.
the best way to fix the problem is to replace the hole wirring.
i know it is pain the ass but it is worth it.

ahbeyra
03-31-2004, 01:16 PM
After posting i went back out and started to actually remove all of the lighting.. There wasnt a single wire nut or clamp or anything.. its all held together with electrical tape... thats it. its a good thing this car was free lol. though, i dont see where this wire he is tapping power from goes to... its right under/behind the glove box, close to the center of the car. its cut, and i cant see where the other end of it should be connected.

-Kelley

ahbeyra
03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Can anyone tell me where all of the ground points are in the car? i have a feeling it is probably a bad ground somewhere. i have wired tail lights for a bedless pickup before and when the ground was bad it made all kinds of funny things that werent the blinker blink.

ahbeyra
03-31-2004, 03:27 PM
Ok, i just finished stripping all of his work and reconnecting everything as it should be... and it still doesnt work. it blows the fuse still and that kills not only the blinkers, but also the entire gauge cluster, minus the speedo, and i think it kills the tail lights as well, not sure though... whats going on? i even found a REALLY old looking uhal thing, that was installed for a trailer, that i took out reconnected all the wires correctly. everything is connected perfectly fine... I cant find a single thing that isnt as it should be, also, when there is a non-blown fuse in the car, the car wont start after sitting for over an hour. So, i jump it with a booster pack and it starts fine... the problem is, i have jumped it about 35 times off of the same charge and it is still reading high batter level... so im assuming that its taking absolutely no charge from the booster pack to start the car.... :wtf: