PDA

View Full Version : Can i install Power Moonroof on coupe ????

Luis 89LXi
03-31-2004, 04:32 PM
I have some time on the idea getting a 4 door power moonroof and install it/make it fit on my 89 LXi coupe. I SEARCH and found nothing (make me think it cannot be possible) but, did someone tried that before ?.

I realy like to have those glass type monnroof whit the sunshade looks realy cool. I just saw some SEi have them from dealers, but i dont know if you need to replace the headliner (i guess this is the name for the thing on the roof) for one whit heigth for the moonroof, need to cut the metal roof cross member or i need the 4 door headliner and just cut in the back.

someone did that before ? someone can givme some directions Or just say it cannot be possible but no rice comments i like the way the sunroof looks.

Thanks a lot.
Luis

RobT5580
03-31-2004, 05:01 PM
You wont be able to take one from a 4dr because the track is built into the roof. I put a power moonroof in my other coupe and its ok. If you do really want one look for one that the glass comes inside the car so you can get the full use of it. My glass goes outside the car and it only opens about 60% of the way. And the motor housing sticks down inside the car below the headliner which i dont like. I mean it has a frame and a cover for it but its not what i wanted. A lot of new cars dont have them from the factory like dodge's and they install aftermarket ones and make a new headliner for the car. They run about $1000 for a custom installed one but you can get a kit like mine for $350 and do it yourself.

johndej
03-31-2004, 05:02 PM
yeah, you can get one put in. i hear they cost alot to get one thats right though and ya gotta worry about leaks if its not right, then agian, your in mex and i know that place isn't know for rain.

Luis 89LXi
03-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey Rob, your aftermarket sunroof was $350 whit everything for the installation ? thats kind of cheap.

I saw an SEi coupe awhile ago in a junkyard in McAllen, TX i pull off the armrest and cupholders and this coupe has power moonroof that looks factory installed, i don't pay much attention because i wasnt realy interested, but i went back 2 weeks ago while we was on the way to Sout Padre Island, i stopped on this Yard and ask if they still has this SEi but the man told me they "squash" all the old imports a week ago, damn. I could buy this roof or the whole car and swap the moonroof on my coupe but too late.

I can be patient and wait for a glass type moonroof, anyway maybe i can found and buy a 4 door whit power moonroof. Thanks for all the info.

Luis

DeeJay
03-31-2004, 06:02 PM
hey if your form mexico its way cheaper, you should know that.

Luis 89LXi
03-31-2004, 06:11 PM
here in mexico a new all metal power sunroof runs about $700 dls and manual operated runs $250 dls labor included, the labor is cheapest but the part is not, most of the parts are imported from USA, so.

Luis

RobT5580
03-31-2004, 07:02 PM
I installed mine myself it was not bad but you have to be willing to cut your roof open yourself. Its not bad but if you screw up then you will have big problems. I got the sunroof itself from www.streetbeatcustoms.com. But i would strongly recommend finding the other type that comes inside the car it will be worth the extra money.

Moodybluesr
04-01-2004, 05:01 AM
The power moonroof in my coupe was installed for the dealer by a firm called Component Concepts. It was a total custom job made to look like factory, but was superior IMHO in that it has the "tilt" feature if you push the roof forward when it is already closed and the glass retracts completely instead of like 90% of the way like it does on the sedans. There are probably similarly equipped coupes out in the junk yards if you look hard enough.

RobT5580
04-01-2004, 07:05 AM
The think i hate the most about the aftermarket sunroofs are the trim rings that over hang on the roof. But there is no way to get away from this since the OEM ones are constructed in the roof itself. But that is the best alternative to getting a sunroof if you want one that bad.

HostileJava
04-01-2004, 09:40 AM
My SE-i has a power moonroof installed in it, it looks like the headliner was redone though. The Glass slides right into the roof with nothing hanging down into the cabin and can also open like a vent. It also has a cover that slides shut to prevent sunlight from coming in or to prevent people from looking in.

guaynabo89
04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
The sunroof off a 4 dr will not work on a coupe even if you get the roof off a 4dr. The roofs are actually very different. Enogh to where you wouldnt be able to say weld the roof off a 4 dr to your coupe.

I also have the aftermarket sunroof that slides in the roof and vents up, but I chose to go with the one that slides over the roof cause it looks very nice on the hatch. :cool: