PDA

View Full Version : Rustbucket worth puttin Proformace in?

ehulst
03-31-2004, 05:26 PM
I've been told by both my rents and other peers that puttin money in my accord is just like throwing it away....I've removed the vac hoses, painted my tails, and want to put headers and my muffler on and go all out in proformace, but its a rust bucket, i can see a part of my back tire from my trunk..and my paint sucks, bondo on one side rear panel,and my back bumper is held on with wire and screws.....is it doing anything too it? or should i just save my money and buy another accord?

ehulst
03-31-2004, 05:27 PM
performace, ...fast typer!

A20A1
03-31-2004, 05:30 PM
If you can find another 3G in good condition that would be cool... or a 4th gen.

ehulst
03-31-2004, 06:05 PM
so don't bother do anything more to this?

A20A1
03-31-2004, 06:08 PM
well if you are going to continue working on the car cut the rust out and then coat the edges to protect the good metal from being infected... I just don't like rust is all... no need to give up on the car untill the body starts detatching from suspension parts and such... hey it's free weight reduction.

PsychoPaul
03-31-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm in the same condition as you and i'm junking it. it's not worth it. one of my shock towers is almost finished. and my oil pump is on its way out. If your really stuck on your 3g go have a body shop check it out and get an estimate. if you are willing to pay that then go ahead.
With my car i got a quote of $2400 CA to fix the two panels on the trunk and the shock tower and also the rocker panels on both sides. Had it checked by another guy. said don't bother with it. gave a quick quote of just $800 CA for one shock tower. I've since delt with the fact that i can't keep the car and i am now saving money. just hoping that the shock tower won't crap out on me soon.

ehulst
03-31-2004, 06:20 PM
what do u recomend to do first.....body.....then engine? When engine time rolls around whats the chepest shit i can do to it.....and i have had a question but never asked it yet....is there anything else i can do besides vacume hoses WITHOUT spending A pretty penny?

Bryan
03-31-2004, 07:35 PM
The first thing you should do is get the body squared away, then work on suspension, then go to the engine.
It's your car, do what you want with it. You can make any car a very nice car with enough time and MONEY. Money is the key to everything.
Bryan.

MoonScryer
04-01-2004, 09:00 AM
If it's rusting out that bad, you can be pretty sure you got rust starting down in behind the passanger door, and other places. For now, just drive it, and save your money and your exhaust system for a newer car.

If you want another 3g, just look around. They are usually available, somewhat around 200,000mi but clean bodies, probably needing a new paint job, for around $1,000 down here in the South. Up there probably $1500. Maybe come down here and find one.

Anyway you go, junk the one you got. Not worth fixing.

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
you should save up for a 4th gen, since there are infinite number of bolt ons and other upgrades for these. If you can afford it, keep your 3rd gen and when you get the 4th the way you like it...mess around with the 3rd, like not really put alot of money down...but mess with it, gut the cat, the whole exhaust, flip the lid(if it's carbed) start pulling vacumn lines. lol you will learn alot about the 3g if you just f wit it. that's IF you have the 4th gen or another car as a daily driver. who knows?...maybe you'll actually spend enough time and effort in the end to have a nice 3g anyways! I say if it's worth junking, it's worth to have around to mess with

momo8517
04-02-2004, 06:27 PM
actually, i got a high school auto shop class to fix my rust holes in my 90 accord. it was $170 and they welded in new sheet metal where i had holes (same honda spot, you know where) they did an ok job...its a little rippley in one spot, but whatever. a little rippley is better than a 5-inch wide hole, imho. thus far: 2 months and only one small rust spot returning *which* is not in the rear qtr panel. it is on my driver side door. whatever.

BY THE WAY...the reason you were quoted so high is because thats what the body shop would have to do, is weld in new metal. this is because you can't replace those back panels. THEY'RE PART OF THE UNIBODY, SILLY hahahahaha!!!! i don't know why thats funny.

BUT whatever you do stick with a HONDA! everything else in your price range sucks.

dont buy a gm car...theyre really crap. really.

HondaBoy
04-03-2004, 06:23 PM
well, in the right hands, you can make that car a jewel. i dont know how much rust you have there. is it in good running condition? if it is, i'd put money into it.

AccordEpicenter
04-03-2004, 08:31 PM
if its trashed it aint worth makin fast, if its in decent shape, why not?

ehulst
04-06-2004, 04:24 PM
The car has 174,541 miles on it.....the paint is like scratch able by a finger nail, and my whole exhaust is like toast....i just picked up my flex pipe today......but am woundering how hard its gonna be to put on..........cause i got rusted bolts...the only bad rust spot that i kno of is in the trunk where i can almost see my rear tire......and my back bumper is now held on with wire and screws....cause the metal brace inside the bumper was rusted out......got some patching up to do on the rear and sides of the car but nothing bondo cant do.....other than that i think its worth droping some kind of green into it?

speedpenguin
04-06-2004, 05:30 PM
getting another 3rd gen would cost only a little more than what you'd pay to get yours in good condition.
that rear is going to have to be fixed, looks like the exhaust will have to be replaced, but you'd replace that anyway, right?
the problem here is that with a car like that there's going to be a host of other problems you haven't found yet. and i do speak from experience.

cubert
04-06-2004, 05:55 PM
find another car...

Busted_Blue
04-06-2004, 06:10 PM
find another car...
agreed. :sad2:

Robs89LXi
04-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Yeah, get another 3G and keep yours as a parts car.