PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! No BASS on Rears...

fuzzy audio
03-31-2004, 10:25 PM
So here is the deal. I just installed my new HU (Panasonic CQ-C8400U) and a pair of Infinity Kappa 62.5i's on the rear deck.

My problem, no bass coming from the rear speakers...

Yes the Infinity's have a Crossover. I checked and belive that the crossover is plugged in right.

Second, the factory speaker mouts in the rear don't exactly accept the Infinity's. But I sort of forced em, and no, nothing broke but they aren't screwed down.

Is that my problem or is something else going on? BTW, they aren't out of phaze, I checked that.

Any thoughts?

catalin
04-01-2004, 12:49 AM
I'd say they are out of phase, not sealed very well (meaning front sound waves from the rear waves) or there's a high pass xover on the deck that you turned on.

Balance from one speaker to the other... do you notice more bass when you play only one Infinity??? If so then one of the speakers is wired out of phase.

fuzzy audio
04-01-2004, 12:52 AM
Nope both speakers are basicly the same. I actually tried switching the +/- wires on one of them. No go.

I checked the HPF and LFP settings on the deck and turned them off. I even used the "use your rear speakers as a sub woofer" function and nothing. My guess is how I've got them set up.

I didn't want to have to use the Infinity grills and what not, but if I have to, I have to. :(

catalin
04-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Nope both speakers are basicly the same. I actually tried switching the +/- wires on one of them. No go.

I checked the HPF and LFP settings on the deck and turned them off. I even used the "use your rear speakers as a sub woofer" function and nothing. My guess is how I've got them set up.

I didn't want to have to use the Infinity grills and what not, but if I have to, I have to. :(

So you're saying that if you were to balance from side to side you'll have more bass when they are both playing together(centered) than if only one was playing??

fuzzy audio
04-01-2004, 01:04 AM
really, i couldn't notice a difference. but I'll tell you this much, when i switched it over to subwoofer mode, it wasn't putting out anything. only at higher volumes would I really hear anything coming from them. if the speakers wasn't flush in the mounting bracket would it be doing this?

catalin
04-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Well if they aren't flush then you will have cancelation of bass because the rear soundwaves would meet up with the front soundwaves and cancel each other out. Make sure you seal around the speaker, and you should have a big improvement.

fuzzy audio
04-01-2004, 01:12 AM
10-4. I think i have some foam from my Polk's lying around... any other sugestions if i don't?

btw, do you think it's okay not to have them screwed in if they are solidly in the bracket(s)?

fuzzy audio
04-02-2004, 03:54 AM
got it figured out. I had goofed up my wires at the HU. So the speakers were out of phase.

Vanilla Sky
04-02-2004, 07:05 AM
i did somethiung similar to my mom's car, but the front set (in her car) sounds better out of phase... i would change it when she gets a new deck (it's not wanting to play CDs), but i would have to pull her door panels to do it properly... anyways, it's a good thing you got it fixed

catalin
04-02-2004, 02:31 PM
got it figured out. I had goofed up my wires at the HU. So the speakers were out of phase.

A - HA. Told you so...:)

fuzzy audio
04-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you did. :banghead:

Me
:stupid:

BMS
04-03-2004, 12:09 PM
What exactly is the phase? I have phase settings on my deck and it changes the sound but I don't know why.