PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Tranny Issue

prozacposterboy
04-01-2004, 05:50 AM
Hey all,

I just wanted to say first off that you all have a great board here. Ive been lurking around for a year or so and have found quite a few helpful things on here, but I do have a problem and I think I may need some advice.

I have an 89 lxi with about 190000 on it. Engine is great (other then a new sensor going out everyweek) suspension is okay.. tranny shifts fine.. had a problem with revving between gears (ive seen other post about this, also remember to check the inline tranny filter between the coolant lines) .. i changed my filter and changed my fluid... but I still have a 'whining' problem. It appears in all gears, other then park and netural. Seems to have gotten worse within the last 20000 miles. Going through Paul's manual (thanks paul, i cant say how many times its gotten me out of a problem) it seems as if its the tranny oil pump... but its not clear where it is. The manual states "The torque converter consists of a pump, turbine and stator, assembled in one unit" Now this pump. Is it my main tranny fluid pump? My concern is according to the previous owners maintenance log, the tranny was 'rebuilt' at 85000 .. at 105,000 on the 'rebuilt' i shouldnt have a tranny fauilure should I? what im wondering is that maybe they overhauled the tranny (or at least replaced clutches) and used the factory converter and now due to the mileage the converter pump is wearing out.

I am totally stumped and have a difficult time getting off work to have atranny shop listen to it. You can hear the noise quite distinctively that the tone changes with the RPM fluxuation.

Hope i can get some help for this.. I really apreciate it

P.

AZmike
04-01-2004, 11:42 AM
So the noise varies with engine speed, not vehicle speed, right?

Elijah
04-01-2004, 11:44 AM
5 speed swap haha

prozacposterboy
04-01-2004, 12:58 PM
yeah.. its with the engine speed.. .I can hold the brake and apply the gas slowly and hear the pitch change with the RPM..

I cant do a 5 speed swap because its my wife's car.. shes a new driver and i want to make itas easy on her as i can..

anything else?

Thanks