PDA

View Full Version : hey guys, opinions please ^^

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 12:59 PM
ok guys, after i get my car back from the shop, should i get this high flow cat (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2470695304&category=33629) on ebay for bout 70 dollars including tax/shipping/handling or should i just go to the junk yard and find another cat, gut it and put that one on and keep my old one for inspection and smog? Also, what differences would each do, the hi-flow vs. the gutted cat. ------> >^,^< meoowww!

300700'88lx-i
04-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Junk yards in Cali aren't allowed to sell used cats. Also, a gutted cat will often flow worse than a cat with the internals still intact due to the fact that it causes turbulance and reduces exhaust gas velocity. Either get a high flow cat, or stick with the one you have, but don't gut your cat (that sounds kind of funny :kekeke: ).

k-roy
04-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Search on eBay for "test pipes". There is a guy in Dayton Ohio that can hook you up.
$30 for the pipe with flanges to bolt directly in, he even includes new bolts and a gasket.
Don't worry if he does not have one listed for an accord, he can make it.

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 01:45 PM
koo koo, thanx for you input. anyothers feel free to write. Oh btw there's this Honda used parts shop in the boonies where i live, they sell everything legal or otherwise. I bought a cat for my gen 2 camry there. However thanx for the advice.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-01-2004, 01:55 PM
I don't think a straight pipe is the way to go. I have had one on my car for over a year now and I'm thinking about putting that hi-flow cat on my car.

It sounds like a$$ and I think you lose some low to mid range torque (What most people want to beef up on).

I put a nice Thrush Turbo Muffler on and the car sound nice at idle but when I open her up it just sounds like a weedwacker b/c of the straight pipe.

I suggest getting the hi-flow cat since it will bolt right on and be easy and hopefully nice.

-Mike

shepherd79
04-01-2004, 02:13 PM
i have straight pipe, i didn't feel any power lose. if you are going with straight pipe make sure you have silencer or your car will sound like crap.

Justin86
04-01-2004, 02:37 PM
get a high flow since you are in Cali and have testing. Damn that sucks, glad I live in Oregon. :D

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 02:53 PM
would the hi-flow cat make the car louder? that's kindof what i'm aiming for since i don't a radio anyways.

smufguy
04-01-2004, 03:30 PM
you have to choose what kinda piping you are gonna be running. and match up the intake and exhaust of the cat to your piping. Lets say for instance, you get 2.25" catback, get a catalytic converter with 2.25" inlet and exit. a universal cat would do fine. and also most of the headers available for our application is 2" at the exit if my memory serves right. so yeah, it will be fine.

I dont know how ur gonna go away with the inspection, but the high-flo cat does not do anything to your exhaust note. it just flows better because it has bigger flow diameter than the stock one.

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 03:40 PM
hmmmm...crap. lol guess i'll just save up for bigger piping. thanx