PDA

View Full Version : lowering car on "clamps"

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 05:56 PM
hey, i wrote this before but i don't know if it's really true. People buy spring clamps and just pinch certain parts of their original springs together until it get to be as low as they want it. A friend of mine did this, but i'm not really sure if it really works. anyone know anything of this strange lowering method? if so, where can i find these clamps?

bobafett
04-01-2004, 06:08 PM
WTF.

u can use a device like that to compress the springs so that you can remove them from the car to put on lowering springs, but i wouldnt use them on the car under any circumstance. :(

Bryan
04-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah the removal is the only spring clamping I have heard of.

Elijah
04-01-2004, 06:14 PM
They have them at canadian tire here.You see old caprices and stuff like that with them.Around here.

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 06:22 PM
i freaking knew it! my dad works with an engineer who clamped his springs together. let me draw you a picture of the idea of these lowering clamps

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 06:37 PM
i think this is how it's done with these clamps http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/566000-566999/566138_24_full.jpg

300700'88lx-i
04-01-2004, 06:44 PM
They sell clamps for "lowering" and "lifting" cars with coil springs at Autozone. It seems like a terrible idea to me. Doesn't seem very safe at all. What if one of the clamps broke and caused you to lose control of the car when it lurched from the potential energy in the spring being released all at once? It's also horribly ghetto IMO. It's not an unheard of method for lowering cars, but it's one step more ghetto than chopping your springs.

*EDIT* By the way, the coils on the front on our cars are wound too tightly to be able to use these clamps anyways (unless you used hose clamps or something, but those would almost be sure to break fairly quickly).

bobafett
04-01-2004, 06:49 PM
i agree i dont think it seems like a good idea. and i could definetly see some safety concerns. and its only $100 for a set of cheap springs or coilovers which are probably a better idea.

it sounds like u just wanted to know more about it thoguh, and not that u had your heart set of dropping your car that way.... but i guess it is out there!

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 06:50 PM
They sell clamps for "lowering" and "lifting" cars with coil springs at Autozone. It seems like a terrible idea to me. Doesn't seem very safe at all. What if one of the clamps broke and caused you to lose control of the car when it lurched from the potential energy in the spring being released all at once? It's also horribly ghetto IMO. It's not an unheard of method for lowering cars, but it's one step more ghetto than chopping your springs.

*EDIT* By the way, the coils on the front on our cars are wound too tightly to be able to use these clamps anyways (unless you used hose clamps or something, but those would almost be sure to break fairly quickly).
i do agree with you on the ghettoness of this.lol but in my situation, seeing how i don't have any money, i was just "considering" this method. thanx for your advice.

88accordhb
04-01-2004, 06:53 PM
ok forget this post. i don't know wat i'm doing AHHH! how do you delete posts?

Blue Impact
04-03-2004, 10:35 PM
They look safe and I think they're safer than the spring compressor I use whenever lowering cars, but the bad news is that they won't fit stock 3G springs because of the gapping between the coils. I've tried them before and they don't work so that's why I stuck with the other compressor. I think the ones you're talking about is called the "spring-coil compressor" or at least that's what the Autozone here calls them.

HondaBoy
04-03-2004, 11:03 PM
my friend used those spring clamps on his car before he cut the springs, then he now has eibach springs. it was a bitch getting the clamps on because he used some big vise grips. anyway, i've been thinking about those, but dont know if they have any negative effects. i've seen them at o'reilly auto parts, autozone, and pepboy's. i think the cheapest ones were like $12 for the set.

88accordhb
04-04-2004, 07:26 PM
well if i do try it, i'll keep you guys updated. hopefully they have some that will fit. i don't mind spending 12 bucks to lower my car, i'm just scared to death to have them pop out when i'm driving

Blue Impact
04-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Damn, I must've misread your post the first time around...anyways, I wouldn't clamp my stock springs with those clamps and drive around with it like that...good luck with whatever you choose...

HostileJava
04-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Just sounds like a bad idea, I can't beleive people havn't gotten hurt or sued yet. Not to mention the crappy ride ur gonna get for permantly compressed springs.