PDA

View Full Version : What kinda Speakers?!?!?!

88WhiteLX-i
07-12-2002, 09:11 PM
Alright guys I need some help. I just bought my new HU about a month ago, it's a pioneer 40X4 I believe?? But know I need new speakers because the ones I have now just pop to death every time I turn the radio up. So I need to now what wattage I should get and what kind offers the best sound quality and won't POP!!!! I need the front 6X5's ??? and rear 6X9's??? Please help me out because Iam more of a engine guy than tunes. Thanks alot!!!:wave: :D :rolleyes:

Vanilla Sky
07-12-2002, 09:58 PM
since you are more of an engine guy, just go out to a stereo shop and listen to some, and get the ones you like... most good aftermarket speakers have pleny handling power for any deck's internal amplifier... just go by what you want and think sounds good

Derick

TeKKnoTeKK
07-14-2002, 11:57 AM
yeah when you are dealing with component speakers your best bet is just to go to a stereo place and listen to some, they all will vary quite a bit in sound and price.

86LX-ihatch
07-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Don't let them oversell you. If you are just running the speakers off of your headunit you dont have to spend much to get good sound. If you aren't going to run them off of an amplifier just go with any reputable name 2 ways.

87accordlxi
07-22-2002, 09:39 PM
teh pioneers can never lose

carlessNcareless
07-22-2002, 10:30 PM
MB quarts are the way 2 go

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Polks sound nice too :)

For the LX-i's it's 6.5 inch in front and 6x9 in the rear

shepherd79
07-23-2002, 03:58 AM
it depends how much you want to spend on speakers. this days you can get a nice set for like $60. or you can pay as much as $200-300. i agree with guys, just go to some stereo dealer and listen to a few speakers.

88WhiteLX-i
07-23-2002, 10:23 AM
thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback. I haven't bought new speakers yet, as I have no $$, but Iam looking to get a nice set of fronts and backs.

shepherd79
07-23-2002, 11:10 AM
are you planning adding amps in the future?
if you do, you may want to invest in something that is a little better than just cheap speakers.
Plus look on http://pages.ebay.com/catindex/catcaraudio.html?ssPageName=ElecHubMB3
you can find something cheap there, but if you are luck you will find nice pair for cheap.

88WhiteLX-i
07-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Iam probably gonna end up spending about $60-$75 bucks for the rear speakers, and maybe that much for the fronts. So that can probably get me nice ones. Iam not thinking right now about adding a box and amp, but if I do the amp would be just for the sub woofers and not the regular speakers....

gr3k0sLaV
07-23-2002, 09:14 PM
my recommendation for speakers are Kenwoods, JVC's, Pioneers, Earthquake (which I use), MTX, JBL..have a listen to them wherever you go....Speakers are a personal taste thing, and it depends on who is listening to them.

I STRONGLY recommend not touching Xplode speakers are avoid generally brands that seem cheapo, or low priced but apparently high powered speakers. That goes for amplifiers aswell.
With speakers look at what sort of materials they are made of, look at the size of the magnets, watch out for deceptive wattage ratings, most companies like to advertise with figures like 220watt or whatever, which in real world terms is a lot less, its in PMPO...(anyone please correct me on this, im kinda vague on it)

For example my front speakers are 90watt RMS, and my rears are 110Watt RMS...my head unit is 4x50 and it struggles to drive the speakers at a certain volume.....that's why I need an amp.

With amps, get either one that can drive your speakers and sub, or get two one for the sub and one for the speakers. I personally wouldnt bother just having the head unit drive the speakers, then again it all depends on your HU and what speakers your using. With amps you can get either a 4 channel one and use that to drive the speakers, then get another MONO amp to specifically drive the sub. Thats a popular route, or you can get a 5 or 6 channel amp which will drive the speakers and the sub aswell. That's up to the individual. I would say, get an EQ/Equalizer as well to help fine tune the setup. Your EQ first connects to your head unit, and then outputs, get one which has 3 pre outs...2 for the the speakers and one dedicated to the sub.
With that you can have more flexibility and control over things than the head unit can give you.

With amps and speakers, generally in 99% of the cases the more money you pay the best the quality of the sound and product....that goes for most but not all cases. With amplifiers AVOID at all costs, ones that says something like 300watt for $100. With amps do your homework on them, look around, shop around, read up on them, but when it comes to car audio try to avoid cutting corners and skimping on things, because sound quality will suffer.

For a basic sound system for you since you got the HU, I would go with eithr 5.25 - 6' in the front, most people would go splits, I went 2-way coax's with adjustable tweeter, but personally I cant really hear the difference. And in the back dont bother spending the extra money for splits, just go 6' coax's in the back. Hook it to your headunit and have that as your basic setup.

Then save and shop around, look for an amp, once you find one you want, get it connected, upgrade all your speaker wiring and install all that. Last thing is then get a SUB.

With the SUB, one again, personal taste. But avoid cheap priced ones which boast large figure output, have a listen to them...then compare them to more expensive and sometimes and more smaller ones and feel the difference. Top subs i've heard are Pioneers, MTX, Kicker, Rockford......this dude I know has a 10' Pioneer in his boot/trunk and it has cause his the bolts in his trunk lid to rattle loose. With subs you can either get them bought already in a box or get a box custom made. All in all for a good sub and box expect to spend a few hundred at least.

All in all dude, goodluck.....im embarking on the same adventure as you.

shepherd79
07-24-2002, 04:13 AM
i agree with gr3k0sLaV, do your homework first.
try this website www.epinions.com
after you done go to ebay and find your speakers. this way you won't spend a lot but you get a lot.

Big Body LX
07-24-2002, 05:08 AM
The price you're looking at will get you a really good set of speakers. Actually, if you're not looking to amp the speakers look into the lower line of Pioneer... not paper cone but lower line. I think the 6 1/2 run right around 50 bucks... Right now Best Buy has buy one pair of speakers and get the other pair half off... NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY.