PDA

View Full Version : 87 Lx - throttle not stuck, but revving?

ABigBadZebra
04-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Alright, let me first say I've decided to keep the accord. My second car is an 87 CRX, and I have decided to commit it to primarily a weekend/track car. So the Accord is staying. I need to fix this prob though. I really have 2 questions:

#1 When my accord is warming up, without any action on the gas pedal.. just in neautral, no pressure to any pedal, it starts to rev on its own. From lets say 2.5k t0 3k, 4k, 5k.. and I start freaking out and give it gas hoping it will come down.. but sometimes it just stays like that.. and I have to shut her off. What would cause this random reving? It's as if I'm slowly pressing the gas... but I'm not! This seems to be completely intermintent.. sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. I can't seem to find any pattern.

#2 I drive short distance quite often (1 to 2 miles one direction). Not enough time for the car to warm up. When shut the car off (key in off position), the car will try and stay started. It will boggle, boggle, boggle.. and just stay semi-started. I can just turn the key to the on position and it will start reving like normal again. What should I check?

Now, I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to carbs. I'm thinking both these problems are caused by the carb in one way or another. A friend told me the car is trying to stay started because there is still fuel in the system. Not letting it warm up isn't burning all the gas off. I'm sure they didn't originally do this though.. it's quite annoying having to wait 10-15 minutes once I get to my destination to let the car finish warming up so it will shut off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys,

Kirk

BDaccordguy
04-01-2004, 11:46 PM
well the carb starts to idle on its own at the upper revvs cuz it needs to warm up to kick off the choke. after a little bit (time depends on outside temp) it should kick the rpms down to around a thousand. Now if your carb is like mine, with a semi functioning choke, it wont kick down for a long time on occasion. I will let the carb gods fill you in on the technical stuff since i dont know much about it if i havent already answered your question.