PDA

View Full Version : CV joint click fix

martik
04-02-2004, 08:33 PM
My Boot was torn and cv joint just started clicking. Has anyone tried just cleaning and repacking the joint to eliminate the clicking?

X-Lr8
04-02-2004, 08:39 PM
it depends on how far gone the joint is on an old nissan of mine i just started noticing a click it was quite faint so i cleaned it out and repacked it and its fine but on my accord i neglected to take care of it and it got so bad that the joint started to eat itsself. the cup that the bearings sit in actually broke a chunk of it came off. because the bearings ceased. so if you take care of it earily then it may be ok. otherwise you are causing major damage to the bearings and it will never stop clicking. Also i have heard somewhere as a quick test you can spray some lube like wd-40 up in the joint and if it quiets or stops clicking then you havent caused any damage and you can clean and repack the joint.. hope that helps

martik
04-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks, I try repacking it.

nswst8
04-03-2004, 05:53 AM
On how long the clicking has been going on. and how long have you know the boot has been torn. But I would pull the shaft and inspect it and use a full boot not the split boot.
Hope this helps
Phil

DeathRat
04-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Most of the time, replacing the entire shaft is cheaper, as down the road the other joint needs to get done too. My own LH CV Axle has to be replaced now due to this very problem (clicking that is). I can get an entire aftermarket shaft for under $100 CAN too from a jobber.

momo8517
04-04-2004, 04:38 PM
yea you can clean 'em out, but the rebuilt axles are so darn cheap you might as well just put a 'new' one in. usually the clicking is a bearing, so you'll need a new set of those anyway.

martik
04-05-2004, 09:37 PM
After cleaning the joint, I inspected it and the bearing and races show no wear. Reinstalled and no more clicking! BTW to get the boot on, you need to separate the axle shaft from the CV joint with a 3-5lb hammer.

Rendon LX-i
04-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Like everyone says depends how long it has been doing it. like my right one torn and i fixed it like 2 days later and it stop clicking. like a week ago my left one went out and i left it for a while. got pretty bad. i took out the shaft and the bearings were fine i took the whole thing apart. cleaned it repacked it. still clicks. not bad as it used to but still does. but if your cv boot broke i would get it done as soon as possible.