PDA

View Full Version : clicky rattling right after shift or pedal far down

johnwc723
04-02-2004, 10:43 PM
hey guys i have been having this problem rescently and im just hopin that it aint pre-dentination

ill be drivin my car around and lets say i am to shift but maybe shouldnt have shifted quite yet so im in a lower rpm, (even happens sometimes at normal shifts) when i push down the accelerator a bit i get the rumble cause i have the CAI but i also get this sort of rattling noise that comes from the engine area

this also happens if i just floor the accelerator if it is in gear (not a really low one)

anyone had this happen, the noise sounds like a rattling kinda but comes definetly from the engine compartment, i sorta thought it sounded like a deseil engine a little, i think i have heard other cars do it before too but im worried! :(

momo8517
04-03-2004, 07:08 AM
hmmm...
i used to get the same thing in my 90 accord...as it turns out the is (well, somewhat) normal. the car will run a little rough if you floor the throttle in a gear in which it can't accelerate very fast. so it'll rumble a little if you put it to the floor in the lower (0-2500) rpm range, and with the rumble will come a resonance of anything that's loose in your engine bay or in your entire car. i looked at mine and it turned out that the hood latch was a little loose.

you may also have a c/v joint or boot on its way south, depending on what the noise is / how loud it is. if youre not really mechanically inclined, have a shop give the car a quick once-over. most places will do this free or really cheap. or, if you have a friend you trust to know a good deal about cars, have them look at it. but i doubt you have a problem.

bobafett
04-03-2004, 08:52 AM
my car used to do that a lot, i switched to premium gasoline, and now it cuts down a lot, but it still happens, i usually just back off the throttle for a second and then ease back onto it.... its a PITA though

i assumed it was predetonation too!

BMS
04-03-2004, 09:16 AM
my car used to do that a lot, i switched to premium gasoline, and now it cuts down a lot, but it still happens, i usually just back off the throttle for a second and then ease back onto it.... its a PITA though

i assumed it was predetonation too!

My car does the same. I mostly notice it in 4th when I'm trying to pull from about 1500 rpm. If I put it in 3rd and keep it above 1800 or so the car is fine.

johnwc723
04-03-2004, 10:46 AM
wow thast rediclous, yeah im gonna try dat premium fuel, anyone else have any insight if it may be pre-detination? sheesh its not like our cars have that high of a compression ratio!

its good that people can concur with this tho! damn it sounds super ghetto tho, you get this nice deep sound and this rattle rattle ! (i think it must be somthing mechanical but ill check for stuff that might be loose)

bobafett
04-03-2004, 11:34 AM
could just throw in a bottle of octane booster for now and see if it helps at all

yeah it makes me nervous when i race cause i dont want to let off the gas but i have to if i dont want to risk fucking up my shit. ;)

sheesh u guys drive at 1500, and 1800 rpms? i like to keep them at least at 2500 or above. :) amber always shifts so early it drives me crazy. heheh

BMS
04-03-2004, 11:53 AM
could just throw in a bottle of octane booster for now and see if it helps at all

yeah it makes me nervous when i race cause i dont want to let off the gas but i have to if i dont want to risk fucking up my shit. ;)

sheesh u guys drive at 1500, and 1800 rpms? i like to keep them at least at 2500 or above. :) amber always shifts so early it drives me crazy. heheh

I shift at 2500-3000. Every now and then I pull 3rd to 5k or so getting on the freeway. Normal driving I average ~1600 in the city

bobafett
04-03-2004, 12:21 PM
man i cant stand driving that low of rpms, it feels like im just idling along lol

BMS
04-03-2004, 03:25 PM
I have enough "power" to keep up with city traffic shifting at 3k. I see no need to go higher. Maybe that's why my car is still goin for so many miles. I figure that for every rotation of the engine I can save now by keeping it at low rpms, I'll get that many more added to the life of my car. By keeping it low I very well may be adding life to my car.

HondaBoy
04-03-2004, 05:42 PM
if you are in low gear and low rpm giving it gas making that clanking sound, its just "bogging down". thats something a lot of cars do. or, you can also check to see if your low on oil. i know that will cause that clanking sound in low rpms.

RustyHo88
04-03-2004, 05:51 PM
depending on how loud the clicking noise is, it could be your valve clearance. I'm probably way off, but its worth a shot.

johnwc723
04-03-2004, 09:50 PM
alright koo koo, yeah ill check them valve clearences and the oil and try some HQ gas next time too and see what they do

thanks for dat help guys!

MoonScryer
04-04-2004, 07:15 AM
I've got the same problem on the engine I put in the car. There was a bent valve which had to be replaced. When the engine is under load, or when you put your foot into the gas, the random clicking sound happens. When going for normal driving, without footing the gas, there is no noise.

I've long suspected the valve that was put in wwas not adjusted correctly; guess I'll be checking the tension on it, etc. I'm just hoping I don't have to pull the head again and have the valve reseated, or something. I do that, I'm just going with a performance setup on a new head.

johnwc723
04-04-2004, 11:36 AM
shit maybe its that too. damn damn damn.... ill probably end up running a compression test i guess that would show if i got some leakage in any of my cylinders! (woulndt a bent valve cause some leakakage?) hmm imm gonna hit up them valve clearences too

BMS
04-04-2004, 03:43 PM
"Them valve clearances" isn't something that you just "hit up".

johnwc723
04-04-2004, 04:47 PM
ohh okay well ill hit them up really good like then :) yeah ill make sure they are right!

MoonScryer
04-08-2004, 03:11 PM
OK, old thread but sue me. I had the compression tested on my engine to see if the head was milled down, it wasn't. I did have a melted electrode on the 4th cyliner sparkplug, which got replaced. Unfortunately, the sound is still going on.

Now, it wasn't going on when I had the '87 LXi engine in the car with it's 8.8:1 compression w/ my MSD ignition. Now I've got the 9.3:1 compression engine from an 89 SEi. I'm going to try a colder ranger plug and see how that goes, as I may be getting too hot of a spark and pre-detonating.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-08-2004, 03:46 PM
The clicking you hear is slight detonation or pinging. It is usually a result of advanced timing. When you change to higher octane gasoline, the detonation point of the gasoline is higher, thus preventing pinging. You can try retarding the timing (if it is advanced) or use higher octane gas, which is less money friendly. Also, try to keep the engine within its powerband. I tend to shift at 2500-3000 RPM, which seems to be close to ideal for city driving. These engines don't produce much power in the low rpm, and most attempts to put the pedal to the metal at anything below 2000rpm result in pinging.
Hope this helps.

P.S.: FI engines tend to ping due to overadvanced timing only...carbs on the other hand can also do it as a result of a lean mixture caused by incorrect carb settings.

MoonScryer
04-09-2004, 04:14 AM
The pinging happens at any RPM below 5,000. I'm already running 89 octane. For an engine of this age, 93 octane should not be needed for normal operation.

As to the timing, advancing or retarding it does no good - still there. Now, that is not to say the sound doesn't get worse. You retard the timing completely vs. at normal or completely advanced, and it is quite a bit quieter. The vacuum advance is working fine, so I've ruled out a dying distributor. I'm not ruling out unusual carbon buildup in one of the cylinders, as this engine has yielded some odd surprises in the short time I've had it in the car (read my previous posts in this thread).

So forth and so on....

johnwc723
04-10-2004, 09:07 PM
hmm so it may just be some pre-detination? sheesh i dont want any of that in my car, i have been on vacation and still am (LA baby!) so i havent run outta fuel in order to put some higher octane stuff in yet.

The wierd part about this whole thing, and why i started to notice it is because its started to get warm thus i can drive with my windows open and hear the engine more. i cant remember if it was doing it last summer and i knew a whole lot less about cars than i do now so maybe it didnt bother me.

i did advance my timing quite a bit a while ago because it was at about 8deg instead of the spec 16deg however it still did it when i unplugged the vacuum advance hose which should drop the advance to almost nil, maybe its not predetination afterall?

ohh well the higher octane gas shoudl tell me where my problem may lie and ill have to run that compression test sometime too

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-11-2004, 04:42 AM
hmm so it may just be some pre-detination? sheesh i dont want any of that in my car, i have been on vacation and still am (LA baby!) so i havent run outta fuel in order to put some higher octane stuff in yet.

The wierd part about this whole thing, and why i started to notice it is because its started to get warm thus i can drive with my windows open and hear the engine more. i cant remember if it was doing it last summer and i knew a whole lot less about cars than i do now so maybe it didnt bother me.

i did advance my timing quite a bit a while ago because it was at about 8deg instead of the spec 16deg however it still did it when i unplugged the vacuum advance hose which should drop the advance to almost nil, maybe its not predetination afterall?

ohh well the higher octane gas shoudl tell me where my problem may lie and ill have to run that compression test sometime too

Unplugging the vacuum advance may or may not help depending on how far the timing is advanced in the first place. You are correct however, if the higher octane gas eliminates or decreases the rattling, then it is probably your timing. You may also want to adjust valve clearences. (less than a 2 hour job when I did mine the first time :)) Also, make sure you are using the correct sparkplugs with the correct heat range. For our cars NGK plugs seem to work quiet well. Hope this helps.

MoonScryer
04-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Between some higher octane gas, a range colder spark plug, setting the timing at completely retarded, and two cans of Sea Foam + 4 hours set time to clear the engine out, I got rid of the ping. I'm going to be driving in traffic tomorrow while in Atlanta, so I can test it then as well. I still haven't been able to check the timing belt, so I'm probably going to move it back a notch and see what happens.

Experimenting - yee haw.

johnwc723
04-12-2004, 04:09 PM
yeah im using the NGK standard V-power plugs right now pretty new too, yeah ill do those valves when it get s alittle warmer out

and about that seafoam? you poured that into your gas tank or into your crankcase? sounds like it could be pretty bad for the enngine like that!

MoonScryer
04-13-2004, 04:46 AM
Well, it wasn't bad. Car idles better at rest, starts easiers, and the acceleration is a bit more effortless. All it did was clean out the massive carbon deposits I had.

johnwc723
04-17-2004, 05:51 PM
yeah my timing is at spec of 15deg btdc, so this is quite odd, maybe its my cold air intake suckin in too much air which combusts too much? :)
next time i get gas its 93 and also im puttin some lucas gas stuff in there too since people say its good

jigga225
04-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Between some higher octane gas, a range colder spark plug, setting the timing at completely retarded, and two cans of Sea Foam + 4 hours set time to clear the engine out, I got rid of the ping. I'm going to be driving in traffic tomorrow while in Atlanta, so I can test it then as well. I still haven't been able to check the timing belt, so I'm probably going to move it back a notch and see what happens.

Experimenting - yee haw.

Moon so did all that help?
My car has been doing the same thing for a coouple years now. And i wanna know if this sea foam stuff or anythng you did helped out////
Holla back

MoonScryer
04-18-2004, 09:15 AM
It helped the idle and acceleration - both smoothed out, and the acceleration lost some of it's dips and bumps. As to the pinging, I ended up moving the cam retarded a notch on the timing belt. Since I did it yesterday, it as solved the pinging problem, the noise from my intake on acceleration has been cut in half, and I got a really long powerband. Also, oddly, the car sits at 3600rpm instead of 4000rpm at 90mph. Go figure.

Also, oddly, the guy who put my timing belt on checked it last week and said it was aligned correctly. Could be my head is milled too much, but I doubt it.

Morpheus
04-18-2004, 10:48 AM
it's because the car wants to burn tire but it can't and the noise is complaining and self-pity.