PDA

View Full Version : Lights Out

SiR
07-12-2002, 10:01 PM
My 87 LX headlights work, but the rear lights and instruments dont work. Brake lights work fine, so i can drive in the day. the fuse as keeps blowing, and i dont know where to start looking for any kind of short in the system that run under that fuse, any help is appreciated.

LikeNoOtherAccord
07-14-2002, 07:23 PM
the EXACT same thing happened to me about a few weeks ago. ive gone through about 30 (15a) fuses. my brake lights work, but no parking lights or dash lights. PLEASE HELP ME AND ACCORDSIR !! i have no idea what the problem is. help help help.

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Dont't know exactly how much help I'll be but I'll try to help u guys out :confused: ?? Shorts are a bitch esp. on fuse #14, with the r. lights, dashlights & a bunch more u dont't want to know about!
First of all it's fuse #14 ur taking about, right? I'll just go on thinking it is. You'll need some more fuses before I'm done, unless u have a multi meter! I have a 87-88 elect.troubleshooting manual so you should both be covered.
Easiest way to eliminate the back lights (or confirm that's the problem) is to disconnect connecter C304 ( I'll post a pic).
If the fuse blows when you turn the lights on, its not that part of the circuit. I'll try and post pics & diagrams as u need them, just be patient if I'm slow to get back to ya!;)

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Or better yet, disconnect connecter C239 on the back of the fuse box! that's lot easier that openning up ur carpet. that'll leave the back lights on the circuit. I'll try to think before I post next time.

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Well since no one has posted to say I screwed up, I'll just have to do it myself! the last post to disconnect C239 is wrong, the only way to disconnect the two circuits(tail & dash lights/front park lights) is at the first one by the drivers seat, C304. SORRY, If that wasted your time ! :(
Since I suck, and I had time to scan & upload the info. maybe I'll quit unintentionally wasting your time. these scans aren't the best, but maybe u can save and magnify or enhance them some way.

these two are for the rear lights (and vanity light?!? btw)

Tail lic. plate lighting diagram (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Tail%20lic.%20plate%20lighting%20diagram.jpg)
Tail lic. plate lighting connecters (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Tail%20lic.%20plate%20lighting%20connecters.jpg)

And the dash and console stuff:

Dash & console lights schematic 1 (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Dash%20&%20console%20lights%20schematic%201.jpg)
Dash & console lights schematic 2 (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Dash%20&%20console%20lights%20schematic%202.jpg)
Dash & console lights schematic 3 (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Dash%20&%20console%20lights%20schematic%203.jpg)
Dash & console lights connecter locations 1 (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Dash%20&%20console%20lights%20connecter%20locations%201.jp g)
Dash & console lights connecter locations 2 (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Dash%20&%20console%20lights%20connecter%20locations%202.jp g)
Dash & console lights connecter locations 3 (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Dash%20&%20console%20lights%20connecter%20locations%203.jp g)

Can't say for sure how long the pics will be available, bit I hope they help more than my directions did!
-Steve

LikeNoOtherAccord
07-16-2002, 03:10 PM
i have no idea what youre talking about... my lights are still broken.

dj99
07-16-2002, 03:52 PM
Let's start again. What fuse # keeps blowing? The map is on the top of the coin box.

LikeNoOtherAccord
07-16-2002, 03:53 PM
#14... left TL or something like that

dj99
07-16-2002, 04:11 PM
Have you done any work near the radio or anywhere else in the car lately? I'm looking at the manual now.

LikeNoOtherAccord
07-16-2002, 04:13 PM
i added windshield washer lights and liscese plate lights, but ive taken both of them off. everything is how it started.

dj99
07-16-2002, 04:22 PM
read your email Likenootheraccord

RedneckRicer
07-21-2002, 11:58 PM
i'd check the grounds in your tail lights because them seem to like to corrode with the inevitable "water sloshing around in the taillights" syndrome of our cars when soccer moms get ahold of em'

accord88_2002
07-30-2002, 08:35 PM
hey this is a little late and dont know if it will help but here goes. i have had this problem for about three months know and just the other day i strip my car and went through every wire that went to the tail lights park lights instrement lights ect... the problem turned out being a wire behind my head unit that i had left bare when i hooked it up. the wire is red with a black line in it. this wire was used on the factory stereo to turn on the lights so you could dim or brighten them with the dimmer. so every time you turn your llights on it feeds this wire with power and the wire was touching the metal on my head unit and this caused it to blow the fuse when the lights where turned on. when i finally found this wire it had been melted to other wires as far as the firewall and my mechanic said he dont know how there wasnt a fire. well hope i am not to late(just found the website) good luck

~Joe

catalin
08-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Instrument light/park light fuse blowing is almost always the cause of the stereo illumination wire shorting to ground.

However you could have done something when you added the washer lights and licence plate lights.

89AccordLXI666
08-04-2002, 10:46 AM
I've had a similar problem only it turned out to be the acuall headkight switch.... I have just replaced the switch, but only the assembly arm... I never got the electric unit that goes with it (Stupid Me)... but the funny thing is, it worked with the new switch assembly, then a week later the headlights would only come on and the rest of the light's such as the taillights, side lights, dash lights, wouldn't come on.... so now I'm stuck, and need to get the whole electric unit part that goes with it on, the box part where the switch goes too.... Now if I get it then where do I disconect it?? I couldn't find the connecter, so I could disconnect it... can n e 1 help? Thanks guy's Lataz.

meohmy01
03-04-2003, 10:53 AM
this post is really old but i am having the same problem right now. i posted my own thing but someone told me to go searching through the old one. there are several but this one seems to be the most like my situation. however my fuse is not blown. im stumped. someone please help. i had the same problem with my 94 accord lx coupe. it turned out to be a short in the main harness that was repaired by a pro and cost a shit load of money. this time id like to go a different route. another thing that isn't working is the chime in the dash. not sure if that has anything to do with it. the only difference with my problem is that for a short period of time my lights did begin to work again but wouldn't shut off. this causes me to suggest the switch so i really don't know. im confused.

meohmy01
03-05-2003, 12:19 PM
ok guys. im still looking for help with my car. if anyone out there can help me out please do.

catalin
03-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
ok guys. im still looking for help with my car. if anyone out there can help me out please do.

I'll give it a try to help you out. What exactly is happening right now that you can tell us.

meohmy01
03-06-2003, 10:41 AM
all of the running lights are out. all of the lights that are suppose to come on during the first stage of the head light switch. all fuses are good. i didn't take any of the fuses out but i checked them with my tester. i have enver blown any fuses. my clock on the dash and the little chime for the headlights don't work either. i think that may be a fuse that i took out to put in my 94.

catalin
03-06-2003, 08:21 PM
all of the running lights are out. all of the lights that are suppose to come on during the first stage of the head light switch. all fuses are good. i didn't take any of the fuses out but i checked them with my tester. i have enver blown any fuses. my clock on the dash and the little chime for the headlights don't work either. i think that may be a fuse that i took out to put in my 94.
What is the last modification you did to car before your lights died??
When you say that your fuses are, are you actually testing them with a voltmeter? Just by looking at them isn't good enough.
Sound to me like it may be an illumination fuse.... or maybe the dimmer switch.. But I'm leaning more towards the illumination constant fuse since your clock doesn't work wither. Check the fuses under the hood too.

It's an 88 Acoord, right?

meohmy01
03-07-2003, 04:22 AM
yea 88. i took a tester light and tested all of the fuses. and there are no modifications to my car except the sound system.

catalin
03-07-2003, 08:09 AM
yea 88. i took a tester light and tested all of the fuses. and there are no modifications to my car except the sound system.

So you checked the fuses under the hood too??

Also take your dimmer out and check it out and see if it works properlyl. There will be a red/black wire that should go to 12v + when you turn the lights on, see if it turns on before and after the dimmer circuit.

meohmy01
03-07-2003, 03:42 PM
i checked all of the fuses. and the dimmer would have no effect on the exterior lights.

catalin
03-07-2003, 06:29 PM
i checked all of the fuses. and the dimmer would have no effect on the exterior lights.

True, so it has to be either the switch or the fuses or there's a break in the wiring somewhere in the two circuits.

meohmy01
03-07-2003, 06:38 PM
ok. not that i don't appreciate your input. but for the 50th time. IT'S NOT THE FUSES.

catalin
03-07-2003, 09:28 PM
ok. not that i don't appreciate your input. but for the 50th time. IT'S NOT THE FUSES.

I heard ya man, the first time. Take it all apart and start testing everything.

meohmy01
03-08-2003, 05:52 AM
well than quit suggesting them. god.

i have no idea how to test things. im not good with electrical work. i am the kind of bondo but electrical work gets a little tricky.

catalin
03-08-2003, 08:29 AM
There you go... you're looking for a simple answer to that which you will never get without some troubleshooting. This is a perfect time to develop your skill OR pay a professional to do it for you.
I have tried to help people in this scenario many times in my nine years installing and there have been many many times when someone says 'the fuses are good', but never really tests them properly. Am I saying that you're not doing it right, maybe I don't really know I'm not there.

You did ask what's wrong with your car and I delivered by telling what systems are faulty, yes, fuses, switch, dimmer, and of course wiring.
Wiring could be the one to blame because what some people will do when a fuse blows, is, they will put in a bigger fuse and burn out more than they know. I think that's what happened on your previous car, fuse blew and was replaced by a larger fuse. The larger fuse allowed more current to pass through the wire and in turn caused it to overheat the insulation on it. Surrounding wires also overheating causing them to 'stick' and short to other wires.
Other circuits may cease to work, or work erratically.
Basically, pay a pro do to this for you and be carefull to watch yourself or others when there's electrical work done on your car.

meohmy01
03-08-2003, 09:05 AM
ok. i fixed it. it was a loose connection in the dash. now on to the next problem. serious coolant leak.

catalin
03-08-2003, 10:17 AM
ok. i fixed it. it was a loose connection in the dash. now on to the next problem. serious coolant leak.

Congratulations. :rolleyes:

rleyba
12-22-2003, 08:50 AM

HOw did you fix it?? I have the same problem.

Dennis
02-13-2004, 09:27 AM
me tooooooooo

Blkblurr
02-14-2004, 05:58 AM
It has to be a short to ground (frame of the car) nothing else will cause the fuse to blow. When you did the mods, where did you get the power from? I suspect you have a nicked wire that's touching a ground. You may have left a positive + wire unconnected somewhere and is touching. This is almost always the cause of this problem.

motoracer
11-30-2005, 10:04 PM
ok okkkk this is a old post, but of course i have the same problem. ive just driven 30 miles on city streets :ugh: not noticing that all of my night running lights cept hi beams were not working.
and the thread constantly gets resurrected...
i was hoping..maybe someone has had luck with this situation? btw all fuses have been checked, the fuse in 14 blows the instant i turn the lights on, and it happened right after i put in rear speakers. furthermore my interior light randomly blows and my cig lighter dont work- i believe theyre on the same circuit. maybe we can solve each other's troubles.
EDIT: btw can someone repost these

these two are for the rear lights (and vanity light?!? btw)
Tail lic. plate lighting diagram
Tail lic. plate lighting connecters
And the dash and console stuff:
Dash & console lights schematic 1
Dash & console lights schematic 2
Dash & console lights schematic 3
Dash & console lights connecter locations 1
Dash & console lights connecter locations 2
Dash & console lights connecter locations 3

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2005, 11:27 PM
ok okkkk this is a old post, but of course i have the same problem. ive just driven 30 miles on city streets :ugh: not noticing that all of my night running lights cept hi beams were not working.
and the thread constantly gets resurrected...
i was hoping..maybe someone has had luck with this situation? btw all fuses have been checked, the fuse in 14 blows the instant i turn the lights on, and it happened right after i put in rear speakers. furthermore my interior light randomly blows and my cig lighter dont work- i believe theyre on the same circuit. maybe we can solve each other's troubles.
EDIT: btw can someone repost these

Gonna just have to unhook stuff thats in the curcuit until the fuse quits blowing and go from there.

I'd look at the cigarette lighter first just a guess.

wp