PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Problems

DCD1278
04-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I've got an 88 accord dx its carburated and stalls on me all the time. It used to happen only occasionally, but now much more often. When it stalls it has to sit for a few hours to over night before it will start again. I replaced the fuel cut off relay but it still stalls. I've replaced all the filters as well. After it stalls I can't here the pump prime. I was wondering if I could splice in an inline pump or can it not pull gas through the old pump. Or is it just eaiser to but a new in-tank pump in? Thanks. also what tools would I need casue the car is about a mile away right now. :) Thanks.

Brett

shepherd79
04-03-2004, 09:36 AM
you problem may be the fuel cut of relay.
it is located on the back of the fuse box under the dash.
i have some of them if you want.

DCD1278
04-03-2004, 10:02 AM
I got a few from a junk yard but it still stalls when I put them in. What does the cut off relay do anyway. Thanks

shepherd79
04-03-2004, 11:23 AM
it cuts off the power to fuel pump.
did you check the fuses?

grappler88
04-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Cousin had same problem. He replaced the fuel pump. Better off to get OE part. Changing this pump is much easier than instaling in line. Pump access is under carpet b/w trunk and back seat. Total time for job is 10 minutes.

zero.counter
04-04-2004, 04:49 PM
If you use starter fluid, will it maintain an idle or just die out after a couple of seconds? Get an assistant to turn the ignition to the on position and you listen in the trunk for the pump to prime, do you hear it?

If not, I have a brand new fuel pump for $50 shipped if you are interested...