PDA

View Full Version : Hard shift into reverse w/ auto tranny

98serwtricks
04-03-2004, 10:03 AM
The Accord shifts hard into reverse and fast idles (?) in park (2000 RPMs). The RPMs don't drop when you goose the throttle. Idle is at 1000 RPM when in drive... Does anybody know what the problem could be, and if it's not a big problem, could the car make a 300+ mile trip? Everything else on the car is mechanically sound - new alternator, new plugs, new wires, new PCV valve, fresh oil, tranny fluid is clean (although I will top it off and add some Lucas Tranny additive which I read can help the tranny), etc.

I had my wife shift the car into reverse w/ the engine running and there was alot of engine movement, so I may try and replace at least the motor mounts from the firewall to the engine... I read on the forum where the Fast Idle valve could be bad and causing some of the idle problems, but don't want to drop $80+ just to find out :sad2:

Let me know what you think!

Thanks guys/gals!

A20A1
04-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Well what is the RPM before she goes into reverse? and does she wait for the car to warm up before she engages the gear? I know you can adjust the fast idle speed, but I'm not sure how easy it is the access the screw at the back of the carb. I don't have any pics on me of the screw either.

The dog bone motor brace that goest between the motor and firewall helps reduce the motors movement when the gears is engaged... the rubber bushings in there are easy to look at and see if they are deteriorating.

98serwtricks
04-03-2004, 10:30 AM
The car idles at 2000 RPM when in park... We let the car warm up fully before we go anywhere...

How much would those new mounts cost and is that a Honda dealer part, or can I get it at an autoparts store?

HondaBoy
04-03-2004, 05:59 PM
well, if its at that high of an rpm, that normal to shift hard. since its carbed, you need to let it warm up until the rpms go down. if its like mine, i start it and wait for the temp to go up and the idle will go down to about 1000. then it shifts smoother. and if you want to replace the motor mounts, i'd say do them all at the same time so they wont wear out wierd. i may do mine soon if i get a chance. oh, and before the rpms stayed fairly high, it was a bad vacuum line. just had to replace it with new hose.

momo8517
04-04-2004, 04:26 PM
is the problem shifting into reverse, or out of park. try shifting from neutral to reverse. if this is normal, what is likely happening is if you park the car on an incline, and just leave it in park, when you take your foot off the brake pedal, the car does roll a little, until the transmission catches it. when the tranny catches the car, 2500 pounds (or whatever the car weighs) of stress is put on the locking pin that is for park. i would advise you that 'park' is not designed to hold a car on an incline. SO what you do is change your parking habits. when you go to park your car:
step one: stop at the desired location (duh)
step two: set the handbrake
step three: put that car in park
this reduces the stress on the locking pin and the card will be easier to get out of park.
I don't know if this is your prob, but it should help to keep your tranny in good shape. otherwise, from what youve said, it doesnt sound like you have a real problem.

98serwtricks
04-06-2004, 09:28 AM
is the problem shifting into reverse, or out of park. try shifting from neutral to reverse. if this is normal, what is likely happening is if you park the car on an incline, and just leave it in park, when you take your foot off the brake pedal, the car does roll a little, until the transmission catches it. when the tranny catches the car, 2500 pounds (or whatever the car weighs) of stress is put on the locking pin that is for park. i would advise you that 'park' is not designed to hold a car on an incline. SO what you do is change your parking habits. when you go to park your car:
step one: stop at the desired location (duh)
step two: set the handbrake
step three: put that car in park
this reduces the stress on the locking pin and the card will be easier to get out of park.
I don't know if this is your prob, but it should help to keep your tranny in good shape. otherwise, from what youve said, it doesnt sound like you have a real problem.

That all makes since because we do park on an incline - called the wifey and told her your advice, we'll see if that does anything...

98serwtricks
04-06-2004, 09:36 AM
...since its carbed, you need to let it warm up until the rpms go down. if its like mine, i start it and wait for the temp to go up and the idle will go down to about 1000....

Like I posted before:

The car idles at 2000 RPM when in park... We let the car warm up fully before we go anywhere...

I'm going to go through and replace alot of the old hoses and vacuum lines, maybe I'll run across the culprit :dunno: