PDA

View Full Version : Headlight problem

skull1441
04-03-2004, 05:28 PM
when i turn the headlights on, only one light come on BUT when i turn the Hi beam on, both turn on perfectly .... do i have to ground it or woot ??

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-03-2004, 05:35 PM
It seems like one of your lights has burned out. I had the same thing happen. Check your fuses. Check your wires. Change the light. It may be cracked/frayed wires, but I would put my money on a burned out headlight.

HondaBoy
04-03-2004, 05:39 PM
the low beam filament is probley burned out. not uncommon. if you have the H4 bulbs, take a look and see if the filament is broken. if it is, thats your problem. dont touch the glass of the bulb, just the metal part. if you have sealed beams still, you just need to get a new light if its a burned out filament. oh, and my H4 bulbs have done that, it was just burned out.

skull1441
04-03-2004, 05:58 PM
whats H4 bulbs???

i got stock kind

HondaBoy
04-03-2004, 06:05 PM
this is an H4 bulb
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/I21339.gif;pvfa3b6387a89b1050
these are H4 conversion housings
http://www.procarparts.com/products/UNXXXX-7252CVX.JPG
oh, and if you have stock headlights, they are sealed beams

skull1441
04-03-2004, 06:08 PM
ok ill replace it to see if its burned,.. i hope its burned , thats better than bad wire soemwhere

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-03-2004, 06:08 PM
If you have stock lights, you have to replace the entire headlight unit. Pretty cheap too. WARNING: When removing the retainer ring on the light, pay close attention to which screws you are taking out. The ring screws are easy to confuse with the adjustement screws so be really careful.

BMS
04-03-2004, 06:29 PM
If you have stock lights, you have to replace the entire headlight unit. Pretty cheap too. WARNING: When removing the retainer ring on the light, pay close attention to which screws you are taking out. The ring screws are easy to confuse with the adjustement screws so be really careful.

You shouldn't have to remove the adjustment screws to start with. With the headlights down and the hood up I unplug the wire from the rear. Then I put the lights up, remove the plastic housing around the healight, and then unscrew only the front part of the frame. Slide the light right out the front. Replace with the new one and put the front half of the frame back on, then the plastic housing. Put the headlights back down and plug the new bulb in from the rear.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-03-2004, 08:46 PM
You shouldn't have to remove the adjustment screws to start with. With the headlights down and the hood up I unplug the wire from the rear. Then I put the lights up, remove the plastic housing around the healight, and then unscrew only the front part of the frame. Slide the light right out the front. Replace with the new one and put the front half of the frame back on, then the plastic housing. Put the headlights back down and plug the new bulb in from the rear.

In my previous post, I said to be careful in regard to which screws are removed. Particularly on the bottom where the adjustment screw and the retainer screw are really close. I by no means meant that the adjustment screws should be removed. Hope this clarifies it. :)

MrBen
04-04-2004, 06:56 PM
9 times out of 10, this means you have a burned out bulb. When you are using low beam headlights, you are using one filament on that light. When this burns out, the high beams will still work because it uses a separate filament. However, in some cases, the wire harness which hooks up to the headlight will become brittle, and snap, due to the up and down motion of the headlight for so many years. Fortunately you can easily fix this snap because it usually occurs in an area that is easily accesible.

If you want to be cheap, you can disconnect your other headlight and plug it into this side and see for yourself if low beams work. If it does, you have a burned out bulb. If it doesn't, you have a snapped wire.

skull1441
04-04-2004, 08:32 PM
ok it turned out to be a snapped wire ... the low beam wire got caught up in the headlight retractor and the wire snapped when the light retracted .... problem fixed :)