PDA

View Full Version : koni/tokico/ractive setup, comments?

doug
07-13-2002, 05:35 AM
I'm thinking koni specials on the front, tokico HU2783 on the rear,
ractive coilovers (someone said the kit for 90 accords will work), and the camber kit for the front. I'd like to lower it 2" to 2.25" to start off on the front, alittle less on the rear. I'm interested in any comments on if this choice of parts and setup will have any problems or special considerations. Thanks for any help/comments. Also, has anyone dealt with http://www.wholesalehyperformance.com on the web, the price they have on the tokicos is quite low and wondered if it was, as they say, too good to be true.

87pimpsterdocious
07-13-2002, 04:07 PM
That price seems normal. Jim stated awhile ago that you could get them all around for $235 @ shox.com which is about the same price when you divide it by four. I hope this helped, i don't really know how to answer the other questions. Hopefully jim or someone else who knows will.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-13-2002, 07:16 PM
Your setup idea should be fine. Understand that somewhere in the fine print with wholesalehyperperformance they will charge you a fee for using a charge card. I bring that up in case you plan on paying that way. Because of that I do not mention them when ever I talk about prices. Everything else in your post makes sense to me. Accordlx aka chris has these coilovers and he's looking to get koni's for the front since he's unhappy with what he's running right now in the front. If I end up parting out my car he wants to by my revalved bilsteins instead:D

doug
07-14-2002, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the comments. It's a 3% addition for wholesalehyperformance, I guess they pass on the fee from the card company. Another thing I learned reading the fine print is that they only ship when the billing/shipping address are the same for cc orders. Mine are different, so I can only use money order which means I will not use them. Sent a request to shox and will see what they say, about cost and shipping.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-14-2002, 07:34 AM
I really don't think shox carries the reactive coilover
at least it doesn't show in any of the email quotes they've sent me.

doug
07-14-2002, 08:25 AM
yeah, I knew they don't handle the ractive. I was wanting
the quote on the tokicos. I didn't mention the konis, tirerack
has them for 106. if shox has the tokicos at a decent price and
can ship to a different address than billing I'll ask them about
the konis also. I forget where I saw the ractive set, but I think
it was under a 100.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-14-2002, 09:00 AM
If your paying by credit card no one will ship to anything but the billing address. Reactive coilovers should sell in the $200 dollar range, $100 would be half price. Are you really sure about that price? They are hard to find, the place that used to carry them that I knew of, no longer carries them.

Some places have a policy that allows the owner of the credit card to call the card company and have their customer service people list a allturnative(ms) shipping address. But when I tried to do just that, my bank flat out said NO we won't do it

doug
07-14-2002, 01:56 PM
I've been doing mail order with a cc that has a billing address different than my place for over 3 years. I've only had one place
refuse to send to me without me calling my cc company to get the
alternate address set up. I did not do it. After sitting on the order for a week the place sent me an email that they would ship it if I wanted it. They "blinked", not me. As to the reactive, that should have been 200, (oops) AIE up in Gainesville, Fl. has them listed at 179, I'm gonna send the guy an email to check. I got an email from shox, I guess it is just an autoresponder thing cause it did not address my order at all, just listed what I could get. Do you have to buy sets of 4 from them? Would the 2 rears be 1/2 of the price of the set of 4? Kinda a funny way to run a business with that non-specific email.

accordlx
07-14-2002, 02:15 PM
I have the Ractive coilovers. I was fortunate enough to get them from a guy off of Ebay that didn't know what he had. I think I paid $90 for them including shipping. That was the deal of a lifetime because everywhere I've looked, they run right around $235 not including shipping.

I do have to say that I like them whole lot but I must stress that you must use a very high quality shock in conjunction with them. I have blown a set of KYB's and a set of Tokicos up front but my KYB's in the back seem to be holding up nicely. I have my car lowered about 3" in the front and 2 1/2" in the back so there just isnt enough suspension travel to use anything less than say a Koni or Jims Bilstiens if he decides to part with them. They do greatly improve the handling of the car but I can tell you that Ingalls won't dial out your camber problems. You will have to go with Prelude A arms. I worked on 89accordhb's car (Paul's car) and we did a side by side comparison. The Prelude A arms definitely give you more of a camber adjustment range.

Anyways, the Ractive 90-97 coilovers will work well. Just make sure that you get a decent set of shocks to go with them.

doug
07-14-2002, 03:07 PM
I was just looking at some diagrams of the suspension for the Accord & Prelude. 86-89 Accords are grouped, as are 84-87 Preludes & 88-91 Preludes. I can see what you mean by adjustable on the Preludes. Owning a 87 Accord I'd figure that I
would need to get a 87 Prelude. The 2 different groups of Preludes have what appear to be different styles of A-arms. Would an A-arm from either grouping (84-87/88-91) work?

accordlx
07-14-2002, 05:11 PM
2nd gen Prelude A arms work. 84-87