PDA

View Full Version : 88 accord stalling/missing

grappler88
04-04-2004, 04:18 PM
"New" owner of old 88 accord lx w/, carb & auto. Car was running perfect until a fuel fill up. Car would not idle and has a miss all of a sudden. Car still accelerates good under med-high rpm w/out miss. When sloing down or stopping, if you're not pressing gas and brake at same time, it stalls. I have read hundreds of posts and tried everthing, including: fuel pump, both fuel filters, blew out fuel lines, new fuel cut off relay, coil, pcv valve, dist cap and rotor, plugs, timing, carb cleaner, reset ecm, and checked for vac. leaks. I'm not sure how thorough of a check I did for vac leaks. I used carb cleaner on the lines but found nothing. When looking into the carb while running, it seems that the gas coming out of the needle is trickling out under idle. When throttle is opened up, it has nice, uniform spray. The next thing I am going to try is the car crusher at scrap yard.

If you guys can't help, I'm screwed.

grappler88
04-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Update
I talked to my local honda mechanic. He said it sounds like carb trouble. He also said they don't even rebuild them anymore because its a miserable job and no guarantees that it will work. Suggests either buying new one or finding used one.

A20A1
04-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Thats silly, a lot of folks on here rebuild their carbs and it works fine... there is just a lot of tiny O-rings and, diaphragms and gaskets that need replacing. Plus when you remove parts like the choke housing you are required to drill out the rivets and then reinstall the choke parts exactly the way they were removed, so that everything on the choke is lined up like before.

The hasstle part is removing the vacuum lines and hard lines surrounding the carb... but getting the carb off and rebuilding it is the easy part. Have you ever checked the float level while the car was running and right after you shut it off? you might want to check out the carb thech thread where I talk about removing the air cleaner and plugging a few vacuum lines so you can see the float window.

grappler88
04-10-2004, 04:40 AM
I'll look for those threads now. I do have a used carb off of 89 w/ 135K on it. Would you suggest just swapping carbs or rebuild?

buzzbomber88lx
04-10-2004, 08:05 AM
swapping carbs would be a hella lot easier but would me more of a temporary fix and the rebuilt carb will work a lot better than the swapped one. I'd say put the 89 carb on and rebuild the 88 carb. you would still be able to drive and when you finish the 88 carb you could swap back.

grappler88
04-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll rebuild the used one before I swap it and save a swap.

By the way, what level am I looking for thru the float window?

buzzbomber88lx
04-10-2004, 08:52 AM
I have no idea......a20a1 should know that answer