PDA

View Full Version : Advice on which alarm to install

AQcz
04-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Car model listed in Sig and on side.

I want to get an alarm by the end of this month. I need some advice on what to get and a few questions.

Basically what I want is a regular alarm with auto-start. Don't really care about all those fancy remotes with the LCD screens and what not. Just mainly want an alarm with auto-start.

Car doesn't have power locks but from what I read up here people got them installed.

Now for my questions:

What alarms do you reccommend and price (please put URL if applicable)?
How much does it cost to get auto-locks generally?
Would alarm work without auto-locks?
Around how much would whole process cost (alarm, auto-locks, install)?
Lastly do any people in NY know of any good places that do this?

Thanks

BKKloppenborg
04-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Car model listed in Sig and on side.

I want to get an alarm by the end of this month. I need some advice on what to get and a few questions.

Basically what I want is a regular alarm with auto-start. Don't really care about all those fancy remotes with the LCD screens and what not. Just mainly want an alarm with auto-start.

Car doesn't have power locks but from what I read up here people got them installed.

Now for my questions:

What alarms do you reccommend and price (please put URL if applicable)?
How much does it cost to get auto-locks generally?
Would alarm work without auto-locks?
Around how much would whole process cost (alarm, auto-locks, install)?
Lastly do any people in NY know of any good places that do this?

Thanks

ok, first off

1. I use Viper Car alarm i really like it its really simple and dosn't cost alot and dosn't have all that extra shit on it that i dont need.

http://www.drdetailshop.com/v100esp.htm

2/5. it depends on the model, if the wireing is set up well then not that much but it could cost a alot im sorry i dont know how much.

3. It also depends on the setup of the car, its hard to find mannual door locks.

5. Sorry no idea i don't live in NY

Hope this helps you out a little, good luck on your project.

AQcz
04-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

bobafett
04-04-2004, 09:55 PM
i have a viper 850xv and i like it.

honestly it seems like it takes a lot to go off, but i suppose its all good...

has lots of auxillary functions like remote start etc that you could add later, by getting the modules, but no shops here will install remote start on a 5speed, and i dont want remote start in my garage!

POS carb
04-06-2004, 04:49 PM
I have an Alpine alarm, it controls 3 outputs (trunk release, remote start, whatever you hook them up as...) plus it has a 4 button controller that can be used to program the entire alarm, including siren duration, impact sensor sensitivity, door lock polarity, and much more... It was a pretty good deal for $100, my least favorite part is the limited range but I can live with that...

hooking up electric locks to a 2 door should be interesting, that's a full custom job unless you can adapt the setup from a 4-door somehow, probably only needs longer connecting rods to the lock (the part you pull)

Yes an alarm can be installed in a car w/out auto-locks, that is only a convenience feature, the main part you want is the ignition-interrupt and the impact sensor

AQcz
04-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh ok. Well if it can work without putting power doors that's even better. Takes about the same effort to open.

Thanks for the good info (everyone). Now I just have to narrow my choices down

TWOLOUDNPROUD
04-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Here in Ca for power door locks it $65.00 a door if you want a remote start i can get you a Prestege remote start with out that lcd remote for $250.00 +S/H i sale this Alarm at work for $550.00 installed Here what the Remotes look like http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/486000-486999/486873_70.jpgI have the same one in my Accord

kotseko
04-07-2004, 12:13 PM
the only way you can get an auto start on a 5 speed is buying the module and installing it yourself. And if you do, this automatically voids the warranty of the alarm system or the auto-start module. I have it in my car and I love it. Just make sure e-brake works and stick on neutral all the time. I use to be 1st gear when parked and one time car almost slam on a trash can....whew!!! really handy during winter time

erics86dx
04-07-2004, 12:29 PM
AutoPage!!!, Viper is over rated

BKKloppenborg
04-07-2004, 01:13 PM
AutoPage!!!, Viper is over rated

I have heard alot about them, but never had it it a good system? My viper only has i think a bumpers, windows, and under the hood sensor. It is kinda sensative. Some cars, people hit it and other things will set it off. One time i dropped a can on it and it went off lol. But i like it but i also heard autopage is good to.

erics86dx
04-07-2004, 02:10 PM
dam right they are

AQcz
04-07-2004, 06:15 PM
My car is automatic (response to kotseko)

I've been looking into viper alarms. Can get some good deals around here. Not really interested in the lcd. That's just an accessory. I'm more concerned about the alarm itself and auto start. Thanks for the offer though.