PDA

View Full Version : car stalls after start... HELP ME!!!

team caffeine
04-04-2004, 10:22 PM
during the winter, i had problems starting whenever it was either cold or damp. it would just crank. a little bit of carb cleaner usually got it going though. i figured it was just the cold temp.

well, it's warmed up. and now i'm having a different problem with starting. it'll start fine on the first try, but always die. when i sense it about to die, i hit the gas, and it revs up, but falls back down and stalls. a squirt of carb cleaner, again, usually gets it started. what's going on?!? i'm a carb newbie so i might need things spelled out for me, heh.

some other info:
the car is an 89 auto LX. when i DO get the car started, i hafta let it warm up for a good 5 mins before driving it. the warming up process involves: low idle for a minute or two, then high(2.5k-ish) for another couple minutes, and then i tap the gas and it drops to a nice 1-1.5k. if i don't let it warm up, the car will basically accelerate itself while driving.

i've replaced both fuel filters already. i'm tired of going through can after can of carb cleaner. someone help!

BMS
04-04-2004, 10:38 PM
It sounds to me like a classic case of bad choke. When you start the car you should pump the gas pedal one time, then start it. It should immediately go to high idle if the choke is working properly. Then when it warms up it will either drop to idle speed on its own or you can tap the gas to drop it.

When it's real cold if you try to rev it the only thing that will happen is that it bogs down. On my car when it's real cold and I hit the gas it has major hesitation before it actually revs. A very gentle touch is what you need when it's real cold. Or just let the choke do it's thing.

RobbyKlotz
04-05-2004, 07:50 PM
My car does the exact same thing. Its the 89 LX Auto tranny. All thats been done is flipped lid and glasspack muffler. I cant figure it out. Anyone have any other thoughts. No matter how I try to start, it dies

unc25
04-06-2004, 02:22 PM
sounds like the same thing that happening to me...Give or take a little. I am going to try and fingure out how to adjust my choke with my manual. Then if that doesnt work, Off to my mechanic to see what he thinks. I am really at my wits end with this thing too.

RobbyKlotz
04-11-2004, 12:56 PM
I replaced both filters and it took care of the problem. Plus I can feel a slight improvment with throttle reaction... The back filter was awful. I let the old fuel drip out and it was black...

accordlxi2.0
04-11-2004, 01:28 PM
well i had the same problem it turn's out that it's either the choke or the float is over filling causing it to react this way . . . . .

team caffeine
04-11-2004, 10:56 PM
how would i go about fixing the choke?

another note, i usually have a problem starting right after filling up at the gas station. this is usually after i've let the gas get low, but not always. i fill it up, go to start, and it doesn't. i've had to have my friends come give me a jump numerous times because the battery will die. could this maybe be a starting/charging problem as well? thanks!

team caffeine
05-13-2004, 09:30 AM
bump! car still has a problem starting. i crank it till i run the battery down. then i hafta jump it. when it's connected to another car's battery, it starts, but after cranking a good while. seems like i wouldn't have a problem if my car had unlimited battery power, heh. i could just crank all day till it started.

hkplayer
11-30-2004, 08:49 PM
hmmm