PDA

View Full Version : need help!!!!!!

sleeperheaven
04-05-2004, 01:04 AM
i did a tranny swap this weekend went from a dx to an lx-i and for some reason the passenger side axle doesnt want to seat right. i called the auto parts store and there is no diffrence between axles. but for some reason it doesnt go in all the way. :dunno:

Elijah
04-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Some times they can be a bitch.You just have to push and wiggle.If you got a mallet you might beable to tap it.Right on the part that goes in the tranny.Just dont rip the rubber.

sleeperheaven
04-05-2004, 01:20 AM
tried that didnt work. it feels like it is getting caught on something but cant figure out what

Robs89LXi
04-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Look at your spline and count the number of grooves to see if they match up. I remember a guy at the junk yard telling me that he has seen it every once in awhile that there will be an oddball number of splines for some reason.

sleeperheaven
04-05-2004, 01:28 AM
thanks i will try that

Elijah
04-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Never knew that.I had one that took me a couple hours to get in once.It was a real pain.

smufguy
04-05-2004, 10:14 AM
if they are the same part number, then it means the spline count and everything is the same. its a given factor. Also, like mentioned above, the axle has a lock pin at the very end and all you have to do is push it in and give it a wack and it locks in. You should see the boot go flush with the tranny. I dont if ur tranny was auto or a 5spd. Also, there is no way it wont go in, unless ur doing something wrong with the given factor the part number is the same. Besides, be careful when you handle the axles, dont wanna drop the axle or rest something on it. Is the splines damaged or is anything caught inside the tranny itself?

sleeperheaven
04-06-2004, 12:31 AM
no i dont think so. i getting a new axle anyways i think mines fubared. See what happened is i litteraly shreded the spider gears in the old tranny. And it blew apart the whole back of the tranny where the shift linkage connects. the axle itself lookes allright but it might have bent it or twisted it in the procces. So im ganna try a new axle and see if that works.

sleeperheaven
04-06-2004, 12:33 AM
its a manual by the way

smufguy
04-06-2004, 12:54 AM
so u got a new tranny i suppose. Just make sure there is not a grain of sand in those splines and i wonder how u just exploded the spiders.

sleeperheaven
04-06-2004, 09:16 PM
well got a new axle. fixed the problem it just slid right in. well i was coming out of a parking lot chasing after one of my buddies and i slammed it in to second gear. the next thing i know the motor is reving up but im not going any where. so i towed it to my garage and noticed a big hole in the top casing right next to the spedometer hookup. so i took off the tranny, pried apart the rest of the cracked casing and plop there goes the spider gears laying on the concrete.