PDA

View Full Version : My car is going to backfire it's way home today.... HELP.

markmdz89hatch
04-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Ok, so the past week or so, every day, at least once a day, I would go to step on the gas, and the car would have no power, then would pop (like a back-fire).

This just started out of the blue, the car was running fine, with the exception of a horrible idle.

I really need some suggestions here. I'm probably going to have to leave work early today to get home and craw under the car b/c today on my lunch break I didn't think I was going to make it back to work b/c it was doing it everytime I stepped on the gas.

I've heard everything from timing problems, vacuum problems, carb problems, or as simple as fuel filter problems. I have new fuel filters that I'll put in as soon as I get home, but I really need to know what could really be causing this problem. This car is my primary transportation and it needs to be reliable. I don't even know if I'm going to make it home tonight b/c of this f*cking put-pop-popcorn mobile.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

smufguy
04-05-2004, 12:29 PM
I am defenitely sure im the wrong guy to answer this, but hell with it. :) i have heard that if you have a carb and you have a strong enough back fire, you are defenitely fucked carb vise cause carbs cant take backfire, atleast a strong enough one. Also timing is the main factor of backfiring. BUt i dont think its a backfire caused due to the distributor cause it goes only one way.

So here are my questions

1. Is the ignition timing advanced at all?
2. How good is your timing belt? is it new?
3. How are your spark plug wires and plugs themselves?
4. Your cap and rotor, how are they?
5. At what rpm does the pop appear and is it always the same rpm? or is it speed dependent?

This might be lame, but the spark plug wires are wired up right tho right?

markmdz89hatch
04-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks Praveen,

Yeah, all the wires are in the right order. It's also my plan to check the plugs when I get home. As for timing, I don't have a timing light, so I can't check right away, but I have not messed with the timing at all either.

It usually pops between 2000 and 2800 rpm and mainly when accelerating. But if I'm going down a hill and drop to a lower gear (it's an auto) and the rpms go up, I can hear it popping a little then too.

I'm hoping it's just that I slipped a tooth on timing, or that i have some fugged plugs, or just bad fuel deliverly. HOPEFULLY it's not the carb. If it is, it's going to have to find a new home b/c I just don't have the time to screw with it.

urd_86hb
04-05-2004, 12:52 PM
My car does the same thing. Mine is an 86 hatchback LX-i fuel injected. When I take off from a stop sign or something, it goes to about 2200 rpm's, and I have my foot to the floor, but the rpm's drop and it starts backfiring. I let off the gas, and floor it again and it goes back to around 2200 and drops again. I can shut the car off and restart it while Im still rolling (I usually bump-start it) and it runs fine. Is this what your car does? I have already changed the fuel filter, and it didnt work. Im not sure what else I can change. It seems kinda goofy that I can shut it off and restart it and its like nothing ever happened.

urd_86hb
04-05-2004, 12:55 PM
I dont know how to check the timing. Where are the timing marks at? I cant find them to check the timing.

A20A1
04-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Backfire out the exhaust or carb?

Pop cause lean? Probably a good idea to check the plugs to see if the mixture is leaning out. Sounds like you could have a loose booster (hard to fix) in the primary barrel, you could also have a clogged fuel passage.

dXsquared
04-05-2004, 01:02 PM
my car was backfirin like a MOFO, i found a crimped line and fixed it... it ran better, but not perfect..

Travis

urd_86hb
04-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Mine sounds like out the intake. I dont know why it could be exhaust when the noise is out from under the hood. Maybe it could be from when some dumbass took all but one nut off of the exhaust manifold. I fixed that problem a couple of days ago though and its still doing it. The other thing I havent tried yet that Ive heard it could be a clogged catalytic converter. I dont need to pass emissions, so Im gonna try hollowing it out and see what happens.

smufguy
04-05-2004, 02:49 PM
not a problem mark, It might sound silly, but how about get a can of fuel treatment or what not and see if it helps. like a fuel additive cleaner of some sort. If it idles fine with no unusual heat from the engine bay, it should be running correct A/F ratio under idle. I dont know if u can mess with the mixture control to get it not lean out under partial and full throttle.

I wish i was closer to you, i might do u a favor of changing ur car to an efi in an afternoon :)

A20A1
04-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Mine sounds like out the intake. I dont know why it could be exhaust when the noise is out from under the hood

I was asking the creator of this thread where the backfire was from, not you...

AccordEpicenter
04-06-2004, 07:16 AM
mark what does the car idle at when warm? It sounds like a carb problem to me.

urd_86hb
04-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Im not sure you're problem is the carb. Like I said mine does the same thing and mine is a fuel injected. I have already changed fuel filter, I run 91 octane every tankfull, and I use Gumout fuel injector cleaner every tankfull. I am thinking you might wanna check you're catalytic converter and see if its clogged. Thats what mine feels like. It feels like the exhaust is backing up. I havent checked mine yet, but I will on thursday. This may not be the problem but its worth a try.

88LXi68
04-06-2004, 01:25 PM
mark....carbs suck! ;)

87accordlxph
04-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Is the backfiring coming from the intake or the exhaust?

Need to know this.

Hope you didn't burn a valve or maybe you have a gummed up valve.
Try a motor flush and oil change?

-Mike from P-Town!

2ndgenludedude1986
04-09-2004, 12:56 PM
my lude was doign the same thing. turned out to be i needed new spark plug wires. also check to see if all the plug wires are on tite. sounds like mabey one mite be loose.