PDA

View Full Version : overheating (heater core hose)

igell
04-05-2004, 10:34 AM
88 accord lx
my gf recently got a tear in the heater core hose..
being a woman... she didnt think much about a large puddle under the car and drove for anouther 5-8 miles with no water in the radiator. :burn:
I was able to get the car home, by filling the radiator and taping the tear. It did not overheat on the way home. I was not sure what size hose i needed, so i replaced it with a 5/8 hose. It seemed to fit on the really snugly but seems to be just a bit smaller in diameter then the original.
After i did this the car started to overheat badly.
The hose is slightly crimped at a bend because it was too long.
Could this be causing the problem? what size hose is it suppose to be?
i am planning on flushing the whole system and replacing the thermastat. Any other ideas? What puzzles me is that it did not overheat before..with a ripped hose from what i saw.
I checked the oil and it was not milky at all.. i am hoping the head gascket is okay.
thanks in advance

86LXItooFAST4me
04-05-2004, 11:04 AM
make sure your coolant is all the way full, and i would replace the hoses and thermostat. if that doesnt do it you might have a cracked or warped head :uh:

AC439
04-05-2004, 11:54 AM
.........I was not sure what size hose i needed, so i replaced it with a 5/8 hose. It seemed to fit on the really snugly but seems to be just a bit smaller in diameter then the original.
After i did this the car started to overheat badly.
The hose is slightly crimped at a bend because it was too long.........

I once had a burst heater hose and replaced with a 5/8" hose (both in and out). I still have them on and works perfectly fine. The OEM hosts are pre-bended so it will fit perfectly but I managed to get my 5/8 hose on by giving it a little more length to avoid crimping.

Chaning the heater hoses should not cause over heating problem. Think about this, when you don't need heat, you shut the water value off and there is no coolant flowing through the heater hoses (ok, the honda water valve doesn't shut all the way, it will give a slight amount of coolant flowing through even it's completly shutted). I'd suggest making sure you have sufficient coolant inside by bleeding the system. When the engine is cold, open the radiator cap and see if the coolant level is up to the neck of the cap housing. If not, you'd need to bleed the air out of the system. There is a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing to do it. Just simply open the valve a little bit (12mm wrench) and add coolant mixture into the radiator and watch the bleed valve. After you see a little bit of coolant mixture coming out from the bleeder valve, close the valve completely and coutinue adding coolant mixture up to fill up the radiator. Afterwards, put the radiator cap back on and check the overflow bottle and make sure the coolant mixture there is at the top mark. You are then all set. After one driving, the level on the overflow tank may drop about an inch. That's normal because there are some air trapped in the upper radiator hose and has been purge after one driving. If there is no leak at this time, you just need to top up the overflow tank and you're done. If this is still overheating, there is something else wrong. You may need to replace the thermostat. Recommend to use the OEM and it costed my $9 few weeks ago in a dealer. Hope this helps.

'A20A3'
04-05-2004, 11:59 AM
I replaced my heater core hose not too long ago. It was something like $8-9 at Autozone.

soljaboy2000
04-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Before, my heater didn't work at all becasue there were NO heater hoses....It was capped off at the engine..then I bought heater hoses cuz I needed heat for the chilly mornings brrrrr. Well anyways your should disconnect the heater hoses and cap the ends to see if it still leaks or over heat.

A20A1
04-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Well once the coolant drains to a point the coolant temp sending unit will not get any coolant and will show the temperature cooler then it actually is... and it may only rise when a bit of hot coolant bubble into the intake manifold and past the sensor. Replacing the hose may have increased the coolant flowing past the sensor and so you notticed the temp this time.

I don't see a crimped heater hose causing overheating problems though. You might need to bleed the coolant system, check for leaks and make sure the thermostat, belt, and pump are good.

igell
04-05-2004, 01:39 PM
thanks guys....i'll try it today after work.... i am praying it's just air in the system or bad thermastat... if not .. i am selling an Accord/girl friend combo.

86LXItooFAST4me
04-05-2004, 02:02 PM
what does the girl look like lol, j/k :bong:

igell
04-06-2004, 08:37 AM
well... looks like the GF and more importantly the car, get to stay... i replaced the thermastat and flushed the system... that fixed it. The thermastat was original.. so it was it's time to go :( .. i am going to miss that little guy.

86LXItooFAST4me
04-06-2004, 09:54 AM
once again i was right!! just joking. galde you got it fixed.