PDA

View Full Version : problems

lightbulblxi
04-05-2004, 11:09 AM
aight, on my friends lx, it will idle very high, like 3 grand, and then when we drive it, it will go like a block or 2, and then it will die out, and take awhile to start, and when we turn the car off, it will continue to run for a while, and just stutter, then finally shut off. anyone know what the hell is going on? :mad: or how to fix any of this? any help is appreciated. :help:

smufguy
04-05-2004, 12:11 PM
its most likely carb related. and seems like the car idles soo high and diesels on shut off. This is what i had with my car when it was a carb. Did it run hot? LIke do u feel unusual engine bay temp, cause mine did.

I would say just get some carb cleaner and get the carb cleaned out real good. The best bet is to ask ppl like Andy and Mike (A20A1) for it. they know it good. also you should have posted this in the Carb tech for immediate attention.

PsychoPaul
04-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Check his info... it's an LX-I

smufguy
04-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Check his info... it's an LX-I

read his post, he said its his Friend's LX. :uh: duh carb!!

PsychoPaul
04-05-2004, 12:22 PM
oops sorry :) i guess i read that to fast :)

lightbulblxi
04-05-2004, 01:46 PM
yea, it runs super hot, and it overheats, and there is an oil leak somewhere.

smufguy
04-05-2004, 02:55 PM
okay overheating is not good. Check your coolant level. LIke if its under operating temperature, you should see coolant in ur resevoir, if u dont, then add it in the resevoir.

also, change your thermostat if the coolant level is alright, or even after the coolant level is fine if needed.

and even after u change that, it over heats, then the fan switch is not working. So until you get another one, Unclip the sensor wire from the bottom of the radiator and put a wire accross the terminals in the clip and the fan should click on and start running. leave the wire there and let the fan spin all the time. It will turn off once u turn off the key.

Try cleanning out the carb and the throttle linkages out. I think someone was mentioning this a long time back about the dashpot not releasing back to close the throttle after idle.

This is the pitfal of the carb, no codes and so hard to trouble shoot. I really hope u dont have to go thru what i went thru. HOpe u find ur problem solved man. Good luck.