PDA

View Full Version : VTEC possibilities

urd_86hb
04-05-2004, 11:23 AM
A friend of mine just bought a 2001 Prelude with a H22A4 DOHC VTEC. Needless to say, he would eat my 86 Accord LX-i fuel injected hatchback for a midafternoon snack. Also, the racing team Im on wants everyone to try to get VTEC engines in their cars. What VTEC's can I put in my car? Is there such a thing as a A20A3 VTEC? I am looking for something that would not be EXTREMELY difficult. I realize any VTEC is going to require some modifications, but I dont want something that would require me to cut the front of my car off or shit like that.

NXRacer
04-05-2004, 11:25 AM
SEARCH (http://www.3geez.com/search.php?) makes everything you could want for your car.

please look around, read the FAQ's and How-Tos before you ask anymore questions.

Cyric_accord
04-05-2004, 11:35 AM
As NX said, Search before asking something for which we have an "Engine Swap" thread

But as to your question, no, there is no A20A3 VTEC that I know of... a few member have tried bu no no avail. Your best bet would to convert your car to OBD-I and get a B16/B18 VTEC or LS/VTEC swap. But it will cost a pretty penny. why not just turbo it and beat your VTEC team without it.

DanLXI88
04-05-2004, 12:04 PM
As NX said, Search before asking something for which we have an "Engine Swap" thread

But as to your question, no, there is no A20A3 VTEC that I know of... a few member have tried bu no no avail. Your best bet would to convert your car to OBD-I and get a B16/B18 VTEC or LS/VTEC swap. But it will cost a pretty penny. why not just turbo it and beat your VTEC team without it.

I like your thinking ! :rockon:

urd_86hb
04-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Ill probably just do the turbo and smoke them all. Here are the cars in our club:

1990 Honda Civic DX D15B2 w/ turbo, muffler, body kit. He's taking the turbo off though cuz its causing him some problems. I guess thats what happens for buying a used turbo off of ebay. He also just bought another 90 Civic, but this one is an Si with the D15B VTEC. He bought it for like $300 or something cause theres parts missing from the engine. It has a pretty nice set of coilovers on it though.

2001 Prelude with the H22A4 DOHC VTEC. He just bought it like yesterday so he hasnt done any mods yet. He still has about $400 left so hes gonna get an intake and muffler here pretty soon.

This next one is just in the planning stages: 92-95 Civic 2dr. He wants to put an H22 in it. He still hasnt found one yet, but thats what he wants. He wants to find one that has a blown engine or something majorly wrong with it. He wants to spend at the most $500. Anybody know where I might be able to help him find one? Right now he has a 91 Toyota MR2, but the tranny is trashed and he wants something with more than 2 seats so he can cruise with all of his friends.

And finally, my car. 1986 Accord LX-i hatchback. with the BT fuel injected engine. I have a cold air intake and a muffler. Right now I either cracked or warped the cylinder head, so I need to get a new one. Im looking for a high performance head. Ill probably go to sean at accordcentral.com.

I dont know If I could ever beat the Prelude w/o spending like $5000 or something. I am going to try to be the 2nd fastest car in the team. Think its possible?

NXRacer
04-05-2004, 01:13 PM
you could easily beat the prelude with a lot less then $5k. Look at whats available at accordcentral.com You could slap a turbo kit on a stock a20/bt motor and beat the h22.

BMS
04-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah VTEC in the accord has been done, but only twice that I can readily remember with an H22. I know there are one or two with B18s, and a few with B16s. If you already have the EFI it'd be much cheaper and easier to turbo it. There are a few members that have done that, and you can make the accord rather quick on stock parts with a moderate amount of boost.

momo8517
04-05-2004, 03:20 PM
yea VTEC is overrated.
talk to sean. for less than a vtec motor even costs, you could build out your a20 and drop 200-250 hp on the wheels. that in combination with some minor weight reduction equipment, and you'llbe hangin' with VTEC 'ludes and civics. just as a comparison:
jdm vtec 'lude motor(h22a*):
Very difficult swap!!!everything has to be custom, and the import motor is expensive.
Total cost: about 8-10 GRAND once you are done with everything including all the work
total power: 220hp (someone correct me, it may actually be 200, but whatever
however, for less money, I'd
build out stock motor(a20a*):
-new exhaust, new header, new intake, turbo, (NOS?) build internals: performance cam, balanced crank, performance pistons and rods, professional tuning
that motor's good for 250hp
COOL!
i wish i had money to spend on my car.

urd_86hb
04-06-2004, 11:57 AM
How much power can I make w/o rebiulding the bottom end of the engine? If I put I high performance head, can I just put it on or do I have to build up the bottom end? Also, I have heard the BT/A20A3 has a cast iron block. Is this true? How much boost can the stock bottom end take?

BMS
04-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Well first off you are gonna have a hard time finding another head that will fit without quite a bit of work. The engine can be run up to 12 psi? something like that. you can get incredible power off stock parts anyway.

urd_86hb
04-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Sean at accordcentral.com sells high performance heads just for 3 Gee Accords. I should be able to just put those straight on it.