PDA

View Full Version : shrinking fuel tank ??

AC439
04-05-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm wondering if yours is doing the same. My car seems to be unable to take more than 11 gallon of gas no matter how much low my fuel gauge shows. I used to be able to put a gallon or two more per tank.

When the gauge hits 1/8th scale, the car usually takes about 10-11 gallons. I thought there may be desposits accumulated at the bottom of the tank after all these years. But after a full tank up, the fuel needle comes down sooner than few years back. Say, it used to start coming down about 70 miles after tank up. Now, it starts to coming down about 45 miles after tank up. So the "shrink" seems to be at the top part of the tank. Anybody has any thoughts??
- Alex

smufguy
04-05-2004, 12:23 PM
get a gas tank treatment, or even a gas treatment bottle and pour it in. I had a problem with the filler just poppin out everytime the dude started to pump fuel in my car. THe gas station guy said my tank might be dirty and a gas treatment or gas tank treatment should help. I did not believe him, but went ahead and got one for likd 99cents from walmart and it did the trick. Also, if your gauge is fucked up like mine, it will always misread the amt left in tank.